Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Much equipment needed.

Poster: A snowHead
Ok so here is the deal:
I’m 19 years old, just graduated and 2 months into my gap-year at the moment.
I love skiing and you can take my word when I say I’m pretty good at it, even though I’m from the Netherlands.
In this gap year my plan is to become a skiing instructor so that I can ski for a long time, instead of just 2 weeks a year, which I usually do..
The instructor course is already set out, if all goes well I will have my “Anwärter” on the 24th of December.
This allows me to teach in Austria.

I have a few questions regarding new equipment I might want to buy and I would be happy if you could answer a few of them.

1. What ski’s should I get?
I broke the tip of one of my old ski’s last holiday so I need new ski’s. I love freeriding but also tend to carve a lot. And especially as I will be teaching a lot I think I need some good carving ski’s but I don’t really want them to hold down on my free-ride/freestyle time when I don’t have to teach..

2. Shoes?
I already got a nice pair of shoes that fit me well, and they don’t really feel uncomfortable. Although taking them off after an intensive day of skiing is always a relief.. So any reason why I should get a new pair anyway?

3. Helmet?
So my old helmet is broken a bit, the right ear flap thingy keeps letting go. So I need a new one, anything I should pay attention to?

4. Helmet cam?
I was planning on recording some of my leisure time on the slopes. I am planning on buying a gopro with a helmet and chesty mount and maybe even a ski mount. Any other products I should might take a look at?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On the cameras take a look at the Contours as well
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the suggestion but it doesn't really seem to support anything else rather then a helmet, I can't put it on my chest or my ski for example..
Also It doesn't seem to be ordable, the closest retail shop to my home is in germany..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've seen a contour mounted on a ski - I think you can just glue a mount to the topsheet. Having said that, I've also seen a contour mount fly off a ski in a high speed carve so you need to trust your glue.

Oops from Will Armitage
http://vimeo.com/9237027
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Contour comes with a variety of mounting options and while mounting it on the front of your chest wouldn't work I think one on an arm or leg, ski or pole would be dead easy to sort
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We Quiver Killer our own skis to permanent mount Go Pros and Contours, we have had too many cameras bouncing off skis with the sticky or sucker fixings. Doesnt hurt the skis, looks clean and tidy, no vibration issues.

And we now have an insert on a couple of sets of boots so we can mount onto the boot. We tried side mounting on the powerstrap or trouser leg, but there was too much wobble. We simply use a threaded rivet boot insert from our boot lab with a 5M bolt, and either drill an existing mount, or have a couple of steel L plates so we can do different angles. Planning to shoot all the skis we test in future this way.

Just be careful with sucker mounts and the sticky mounts. We have tried them all, and tried different mounting methods (including a little heat to activate the glue) and they all let us down at some point unless the ski topsheet was absolutely flat and smooth, where the suck mount worked, but was cumbersome.

Got to say in the brief testing in Val D in May the results were awesome, just a shame I wiped the video by mistake Sad Blue ski ackground with base logos flicking around, looked stunning. Damn my fat fingers on that Macbook Air!

ScottyDog
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
can you not drive a computer?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can do the anwaerter on anything - the only advice when I did it was not to use race skis. Some mates did it on piste skis, some on park, one guy on the 105mm Seths of the time. All fine - the skiing demos are simple, easy stuff. So if you can only get one ski, I'd get the one you want rather than buy one for the course. If you end up in St Anton (see your other thread) something around 100mm underfoot with some tip rocker will really help you make the most of it.

Getting two skis is much better if you can afford it though - get either a piste ski or piste biased all mountain ski, then a fat rockered pair 110ish underfoot. Even if it means getting them second hand rather than new, I'd go for this option. Btw, in resort, plenty of shops will let you pay a deposit and then pay the remaining balance over the season.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999 wrote:
Getting two skis is much better if you can afford it though

Ah, you old traditionalist... wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
a pair ? Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Embarassed

Although in all seriousness, I kinda do want that Faction mono...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
"shoes"?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Feast, go on then, tell us the dutch for boot and shoes.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
so... you're pretty good at skiing, going to be a ski instructor, and you don't know what skis and boots to buy? rolling eyes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skis-wise definitely two skis is the way to go as clarky999, says. If you're planning on doing seasons you will regret not getting two pairs now othwerwise you will spend more in the long run. You (well i did) will buy skis that do what your initial ski does but better, so instead of an all round ski you'll get some pow sticks and piste skis.

Boots wise, go to a fitter and describe exactly how you ski and the course you're doing. Probably best to get them in resort so any problems you have can be sorted out when they arise.

I've got a gopro, yet to use it skiing but the stuff i've used it for this summer has been great. Definitely more versatile as a camera, just looks a bit more bulky than the contour.
ski holidays
the gopro is a great camera but as pointed out elsewhere is a bit more bulky. we have video from our many cameras mounted on heads, helmets, on poles, on boots, legs, skis, boards, scuba diving, in cars, on bikes, on motorbikes, on booms and jibs sailing and surfboarding. pretty much anywherer you cold think of.

the standard adhesive mounts do work on skis and also boots but do need a good flat surface to get the best of the 3m glue. In our experience the suction mount will work on a board but not on a ski. we have been playing with other mounts such as this one
youtube.com/v/vs0D8JeWaLg which we may have availble shortly.
latest report
stuarth wrote:
so... you're pretty good at skiing, going to be a ski instructor, and you don't know what skis and boots to buy? rolling eyes

My thoughts exactly.

The only time I've ever suggested to anyone that I thought I was good at skiing was to a mate who was a BASI trainer.

Hasn't happened since...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy