Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Going Hardcore

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, so there is the very real possibility my ski comrades of the last few years may not be able to make it this season. This coupled with the fact I missed last season too is making me itch. I'm thinking if all else fails I can do this hardcore ski bum style. I can't afford the single suppliments of a cosy chalet by myself for a week so I came up the the ingenius paln of simply driving to a lower resort (Mayerhofen maybe) and sleeping in my car for a few nights, a few days on the slopes, showering/saunaing in the swimming complex every night and generally being a bum. I know this would in no way mean a comfotable holiday, but money is tight and if I'm on my own I don't really care about the hotel etc. Has anyone done anything similar, I was thinking I could advertise on here before and other ski sites before for possible ride shares to the Alps?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
why stick to a few days and not live in your car for the season?

http://youtube.com/v/gZxAp5lM_bI
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Natives.co.uk has a forum dedicated to car sharing to the Alps but its mainly people looking for a lift out at the beginning of the season and back at the end
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've seen that before. Totally awesome but I don't think the Mrs and/or boss would be too stoked on my season long departure.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

sleeping in my car for a few nights

I wouldn't... I slept in a van for a couple of nights and that was grim. I know it's stating the bleedin' obvious, but ski resorts are cold at night. Even in a down sleeping bag rated to -20 I was not particularly comfortable, to say the least. It was an "experience"... but after 2 nights I met a nice chalet girl in a bar who let me sleep on her sofa (sadly that's the truth, it really was just her sofa). The other guests in the chalet were all young Scandie hardcore skiers who didn't seem to mind in the least.

Anyway, my advice would be to not sleep in the car, if you can find a chalet girl to put you up for free that would be good, but failing that there are lots of lower cost options, such as a Gites d'Etape, youth hostels, cheap B&Bs, Formula1 type hotels - look slightly outside the big resorts and you should find something.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rambotion, Excellent video. I like the line about "once a month I take a shower". Yeah, washing is overrated Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Martin., you evidently have no understanding of exactly how cold you will be. Really don't sleep in the car.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I know it will be cold, people camp in winter with the correct kit. I already own a down sleeping bag and would probably chuck my duvet in there aswell. Thats why I also considered a lower resort. But I may either plan on finding people to come with me or try finding a cheap cheap motel somewhere.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Martin. wrote:
I know it will be cold, people camp in winter with the correct kit. I already own a down sleeping bag and would probably chuck my duvet in there aswell. Thats why I also considered a lower resort. But I may either plan on finding people to come with me or try finding a cheap cheap motel somewhere.

A decent tent would be a better bet than a car, much warmer. I've done plenty of camping at high altitude in cold weather and it's much more pleasant than sleeping in a van [EDIT - unless you convert it, add some insulation and a stove of course:-) ]. Still pretty miserable though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
the condensation you get inside a car would make it truly grim unless you open a window
note that during winter the bottom of the valleys is often colder than higher up the mountain because of temperature inversions - this doesn't happen everywhere but is a good reason to choose your spot very carefully
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sah wrote:

A decent tent would be a better bet than a car, much warmer. I've done plenty of camping at high altitude in cold weather and it's much more pleasant than sleeping in a van [EDIT - unless you convert it, add some insulation and a stove of course:-) ]. Still pretty miserable though.

Yeah I was thinking about a tent, but in my wisdom I have also considered I may be able to seep in an undergroung parking lot for extra shelter. Plus a decent tent would be about the cost of a weeks accom in a chalet!

That's interesting that it can be even cooler in the valleys!

I suppose this is more a theoretical thread than me actual going to do it
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Might be better to pick one of the (relatively) cheap weeks in January or March, sort out your days off from work, and hold out for a last minute bargain in a smaller ski area with a (again relatively) cheap lift pass.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Find a cave and enjoy a pleasant steady 11C.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I slept 90% of my first season in my car some 10 years ago in La Daille car park in Val d'Isere... that was some 4 months non stop in the car. Stored food in the fridge (under the car in the snow). I was putting on more clothes to sleep in (especially in January when it was getting down to minus 20 at night!) than to ski in... so i'd wake up and take some layers off. Back in the day your season pass gave you access to the municipal swimming pool in Val and after skiing each day id head there and have a shower and shave etc. For money I ran an unofficial transfer service to the airport for friends, friends of friends, friends of friends of friends, and friends long lost cousins best friends ex (you get the message). I was not licensed so just told people what the going rate was and they 'tipped' me. The money I collected paid for my skiing and food etc for the next few days... I got LOADS of skiing in that season and was able to join in with loads of off piste trips by day and parties by night. I could not drink anything other than shots in the evening as I can assure you that when you get into all your gear to sleep the LAST thing you want to do it take a layer off to go to the loo in the middle of the night when it is blowing a gale. One time I HAD to and cars central locking closed behind me so there I was locked out my car in the middle of the night... I had to break a window to get back in.... when I awoke the next morning I was buried inside my car in snow!

.... ahh those were the carefree days BUT it was bloody cold... would I do it again - yes if I was 10 years younger for sure!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hammerite wrote:
Find a cave and enjoy a pleasant steady 11C.

Lots of caves in Greece and Turkey. Sadly not a lot of skiing!

Why not go to one of the bashes?
latest report
Steve Angus wrote:
I slept 90% of my first season in my car some 10 years ago in La Daille car park in Val d'Isere... that was some 4 months non stop in the car. Stored food in the fridge (under the car in the snow). I was putting on more clothes to sleep in (especially in January when it was getting down to minus 20 at night!) than to ski in... so i'd wake up and take some layers off. Back in the day your season pass gave you access to the municipal swimming pool in Val and after skiing each day id head there and have a shower and shave etc. For money I ran an unofficial transfer service to the airport for friends, friends of friends, friends of friends of friends, and friends long lost cousins best friends ex (you get the message). I was not licensed so just told people what the going rate was and they 'tipped' me. The money I collected paid for my skiing and food etc for the next few days... I got LOADS of skiing in that season and was able to join in with loads of off piste trips by day and parties by night. I could not drink anything other than shots in the evening as I can assure you that when you get into all your gear to sleep the LAST thing you want to do it take a layer off to go to the loo in the middle of the night when it is blowing a gale. One time I HAD to and cars central locking closed behind me so there I was locked out my car in the middle of the night... I had to break a window to get back in.... when I awoke the next morning I was buried inside my car in snow!

.... ahh those were the carefree days BUT it was bloody cold... would I do it again - yes if I was 10 years younger for sure!

Awesome story, sounds like quite the season.
snow report
i think formula 1 is the answer for you. You'd need to check which resorts are well served by nearby formula 1's but i know a friend commuted to several different resorts from an F1 a few years back so it must be do-able. You will die if you sleep in a car. Or just be very cold. But probably die.
ski holidays
Yeah I've been looking into F1's....only seems to be a few in the alps but I'm sure it do-able.
snow report
Martin. wrote:
Yeah I've been looking into F1's....only seems to be a few in the alps but I'm sure it do-able.

Yep, F1s are fine but they tend to be on the outskirts of towns and hence not that close to ski resorts, but I'm sure there are one or 2 that might work. But don't forget that a lot of areas do have youth hostels and gites d' etape - so if you don't mind dormitory style accommodation these places could be very good value - expect to pay around €40 half board. Some mountain huts are open all winter too (although a lot only open in the spring), so if you fancy that then again you are looking at the €40 mark for half board.
snow report
What sort of budget are you realistically talking about?

We offer a recession beating ski break in Montecampione, near Bergamo that you might want to check out. Plus you can get flights to Milan Bergamo for well under £100.. Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy