Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine Experts need advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Thinking of going to Flaine with Husband (like red/ blacks and off piste), son 8 (skis anything on piste and will do short hikes with guide off piste, particularly fond of skier cross runs) daughter 4 (can do a snowplough on a nursery slop) and me, (a nervous mum skies green and blues). Kids and husband ski on a weekly basis at our local dry slope.

The kids will both be in lessons in the morning and then son will ski with husband in afternoon and daughter will probably go into a club.

Could someone comment on the location and suitability of Le terasses de veret, club hotel le flaine, village club du Soleil de Flaine and what they are like for families, food and location.

Also any other recommendations greatly recieved.

Would it be best to book with a tour operator now or wait for last minute deal if thinking of going 10th or 17th of March.

Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fizz, Terasses de Veret - new last season, I haven't stayed there but enquired on here, seems to be good for self-catering - I know the location well and it is very well placed and convenient (right by Grands Vans chair for links to Les Carroz etc/a short ski down to Forum/and close to rendezvous for ski schools). We have been to the P&V place more or less next door several times at Residence de la Foret which is also good (large apartments). We don't eat out as much in Flaine (maybe twice as opposed to four or so times elsewhere) as we find it a bit limited for reasonably priced restaurants. But in March I would be looking forward to picnic lunches at the top of the DMC looking over towards Mont Blanc Very Happy Flaine is great for families.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks got that
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Been to Flaine about five times but the last time was about three years ago.
Skiing wise it would be ideal for your situation, plenty of runs in the Flaine bowl which could keep everyone busy for most of a week but then an extensive area for hubbie and son to explore.
For you and daughter easily accessed runs for your standard and for the next step up.
Not sure on your accommodation choices, we last stayed in Flaine Montsoleil.

Really love the whole of the grand massif, particularly les carroz but silly prices mean its a no no for me.
Would consider catered but not self catering as eating out is tres expensive. Although with a hire car you can go to the supermarket in Cluses which makes it better value.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

we find it a bit limited for reasonably priced restaurants

I was shocked at the prices for lunch (I've only ever skied there for odd days) and I spend most of the winter in a French resort. Up there with the big ski factories. But it'd be no problem if you were self-catering in an apartment conveniently close to the slopes - or the weather was nice enough for picnics.

There are a lot of warnings on SHs about the dangerous off-piste (big holes into which one can disappear).

If you are taking lessons then it might be worth having a look at these guys http://www.skiflainemoniteurs.com/

they bring people over to Les Saisies sometimes for private lessons (not sure why, it's quite a way, but sometimes the snow is better in LS and the slopes quieter wink ) and I've always thought they look rather good - people (English ones often) seem to be having a good time, and on one occasion an elderly couple, who looked quite nervous on their skis, sat with me on a lift and were very appreciative of the instructor.

there are other independents too, which people here might have some experience of.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

We have been to the P&V place more or less next door several times at Residence de la Foret which is also good (large apartments).

We have also stayed in the P and V residence and would recommend it. Close to slopes and large apartments. Great for family of 4. We tend to go back to apartment for lunch and eat out quite a few nights (its a holiday!). The supermarket on the lower Forum level is a lot cheaper than the Spar on the Foret level.

Myself and our 2 children have had lessons with the International School and they were very good. Classes not too large, helpful friendly staff and very good English spoken.

If you have any more questions, please ask
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Flaine & the Grand Massif has got some great varied skiing for all levels; and possibly the best view of Mont Blanc in the alps. The Gers bowl is awesome, and there are some great tree lined runs around the GM. It's also very family firiendly as it's (mostly) car free. I also found it very easy to avoid crowds and queues.

As someone else has mentioned, be very careful going off-piste in the Flaine bowl - it's limestone and there are some VERY big holes which aren't always obvious.

I spent a lot of time there repping and leading holidays for the Ski Club of GB, as well as many weeks, weekends and day trips in my own time. However, I haven't been back for a few years as I found bar and restaurant prices increasing dramatically, rivalling the other big resorts. Flaine was once a bit of a hidden gem with prioes to match; it no longer is.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
went to flaine a few years back
stayed in the totem ( very good late deals there every year it seems as its a big hotel ) - which is basically bang ontop of the lifts , and accomodation was a bit basic but it has supposed to have been refurbished
off piste was awesome - although i personally am rubbish - but we were in lessons all the instructors at all levels take you off piste for some fun

The fuys in the advanced class in our hotel went offpiste all over the place -but you do need to be guided -
I remember the main pisted slopes being great, with lots of variety - so rate the skiing highly.

I would suggest that all your offpiste needs could easily be covered in lessons no matter how good you are.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The apts you mentioned are perfect for access to the Grand Vans lift and if you are lucky you can ski back to the door. The access down to the Flaine bowl can be unpleasant if the snow is not perfect. It gets chopped and mogulled v. quickly and realistically there is no other way down (you could get the bucket lift but it's a pain).
Go up Grand Vans 1st thing in the am and ski it all the way down just for fun then go over the other side to Les Carroz etc (providing the links are open). The botton of Grand Vans is another hell hole bottleneck which is really chopped up by the pm.
We used to ski the other side in the am then the Flaine bowl in the pm.
Check also this website http://location.flaine-reservation.com/index_uk.aspx
We stayed at the Cassiopee apts and it was ski back to the door (it's right opposite where you mentioned) 700eur for a duplex apt for 5 of us inc 2 bathrooms.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I go every year and stay in a Foret apartment just along the road a little from Le terasses de veret, which is very conveniently placed for piste access. Hardly any walking required. Your daughter will probably start on the nursery slope close to your apartment. Flaine is very good for skiers of different ability (like my family) as you can keep meeting up. As pam w, and others say, the cafes are expensive (welcome to the French alps) but you can easily go back to your apartment for lunch - we do most days.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

As pam w, and others say, the cafes are expensive (welcome to the French alps)

well, welcome to the more expensive bits of the French alps. No French mountain restaurants are exactly cheap, but many are far cheaper than Flaine and the other big names.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Slight thread drift but would Flaine be a reasonable bet for week of the 7th April? It wouldn't have been on my shortlist for that time in the season but some friends have booked for then and we could go with them. Any opinions? Thanks snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We've been there a few times too and compared to Les Gets (where we go most of all) it is very lacking in nice restaurants/cafes in resort and on the mountain, with some atmosphere and generally much more expensive. For example, Perdrix Noir in Foret - what is that all about? A British pub with 80's decor with overpriced food (and poor quality when we sampled on our first visit to Flaine). We do like the Pierrot in the Forum shopping arcade but that gets incredibly busy. We are no longer surprised to see people unloading huge boxes of food from the UK from their cars outside P&V. The supermarket in Foret is sooo expensive (yeah I know it's up a long hilly road etc etc)

That said, the mountains are what we go for Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sarah, generally when we would go. Not this season but have done several times over recent years. Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lou, thanks! May give it more consideration then.
snow conditions
sarah, 7th April? Maybe, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. This year was disaster but maybe that was exceptional. The truth is no-one can say but, if I could choose, I'd aim higher in April. Flaine is 1600 to 2500m and has a good snow record but your chances of decent conditions in April are variable especially lower down of course. There'll almost certainly be plenty of snow but you'd be lucky to get powder, so it depends on what you're prepared to accept. Of course the weather should be pretty good, but it will be in Spain as well. If I could choose I'd go early March after the French holidays.
snow conditions
billb, this was exactly my initial reaction when I heard they were going there. Was kind of optimistically wondering if Flaine had some kind of weird micro climate Laughing

TBH I think I will be flogging a dead horse with the OH who wouldn't consider VT last Easter so is even less likely to consider Flaine.
snow report
fizz, I won't try to persuade you away from Flaine as the skiing is usually pretty good up to fantastic. The amenities there tend to be low on service, but high on price and not really geared up for those that are looking for a family experience - I'd suggest you do a search and perhaps PM Chris Mason ( a SH) to see if he has availability. There are a couple of semi decent bars/restaurants that we use regularly as they treat us well when we're alone or visiting with ZigZag www.zigzagski.com/en one of the local GM ski coaching schools - I can't help you on eatery names as we can get there blindfolded. I can thoroughly recommend a ski over to Morillon to the Igloo for lunch - we ate there a few weeks ago during the late summer opening so I can vouch that the food is a good as ever and keenly priced if compared with Flaine. Samoens also has a couple of restaurants which have been running for 2-3 season now and are also well worth a visit. If you search SH forums, it's hard to find any good news of Flaine when it comes to food. Embarassed

A couple of responders above have mentioned the holes, however if you've been to Flaine any time since 2005 you'll know that this information is potentially "dated" as the CDA have placed nets and altered the links between pistes to protect skiers. There are some hazardous drops, no more so than elsewhere, but these are well marked off the side of the sections between the steep black runs such as Lindars Nord which seems to have it's own micro powder climate at times. Diamant Noir has some interesting drops, but now none of them are hidden. As I say, CDA have worked hard to make the holes safer. That said, I wouldn't want to test the nets! Cool Cool
ski holidays
fizz - could go into a lot of detail why but we (me, oh & 2 kids under 10) like Flaine so much that we took the plunge and bought our own place in Foret
Now go at least 4 times a year
Can't comment on any of the accommodation listed but not heard any bad reports either
All are convenient for the slopes - great thing about Flaine - means you can get back for lunch if you want - plus it's quiet & safe for kids too
Also great range of runs for everyone - especially if you can get around the whole of the GM
As Lou says Le Terrases de Veret are new - some teething problems when they opened last year but should be sorted now.
You can book direct at http://www.madamevacances.co.uk/
Best school ski is ESI - don't bother with ESF
Also quiet night life & poor/expensive to eat out - we look after ourselves either taking stuff from the UK (probably seen us Lou) when we drive or going to the Supermarket in Sallanches before we go up the mountain - with young kids its not a problem as they're usually too tired and hungry to wait for the restaurants to open
Do treat ourselves for lunch at L'Epicerie occasionally - plat du jour is (comparatively) great value
Lou - I don't get Perdrix Noir or the guy that runs it either
Take away pizza in Floret shopping mall is good (and relatively cheap) though
Sarah - we've had a couple of good years at Easter but last year Flaine closed early and I think (don't quote me) before 7th April - so big risk - VT would be a better bet
Overall it has some negatives but as a family resort we think Flaine is great
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy