Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

hELMET cAMERA

Poster: A snowHead
Anybody used

Go Pro HD Hero £300

Reviews?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Only for windsurfing, at which it excels. If you're not doing water sporty things with it, maybe there are better choices? You will pay a premium for its super waterproof case.

It also looks a bit daft attached to your helmet, compared to a bullet-cam type device... but you might not care about that Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cONTOUR gPS sEEMS pOPULAR. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not yet, but hopefully soon! After lots of research the GoPro seems to be the best one and I particularly like the ability to clip on a screen so you can review what has been filmed.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowsteve, Conour GPS with iphone screen as viewer, highly recommended
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Contour appears to have better sound quality as well. If that matters to you?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Markymark29, I've a BlackBerry so no good there Sad

Just chatting to a sales guy yesterday evening and he was pushing me towards a Drift as that also has an inbuilt screen - says it's got much better picture quality - can anyone confirm? My concern with that is that it's not fully waterproof so couldn't take it diving.

I know with the Drift you can plug an external mic in so you can cut wind noise out - anyone know if others can do this?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowsteve, Sorry by no means an expert on others (or Contour for that matter) but suggest you look at the Contour website, they do a underwater cover as an extra. Also noise was not an issue for me when descending down on MTD at 30mph, really clear.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Markymark29, ah ok, I'll have a look at that if it could be waterproof - might have to look at an iphone too Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowsteve, Have a look at an Android phone instead - the contours need an additional plug-in card for the cam to talk to Iphones, while they work with Androids without rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ContourRoam anyone? its there new model that seems reasonably priced....

interestingly enough i hear it has a built in battery, i have always considered this a good feature.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GoPro is the best quality video in its price range and the most durable. The Contour has gotten really cheap recently, but that's for a reason: they can't sell them.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
given the choice between a VIO POV1.5 and a ContourRoam, what would people choose?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is that the VIO POV1.5 HD or the older model? seriously nice bit of kit but expensive and difficult to justify for most people
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Its the one linked below.

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/pov.1.5.htm

720-480 res and 110 shooting angle isnt great. however video quality is potentially better than the ContourRoam, im not really sure.

What do you think?
ski holidays
1969jma, I have a drift and so do some friends, it fits snug on the side of the helmet (I have fixed the bracket to my helmet), with either velcro type or google strap bracket, I am nor quite sure regards some helmet cams on the top of a helmet as easy to get knocked off on lift or wipe out. One of the great advantages is the on/off that straps top your wrist like a watch.
snow report
+1 for the GoPro. They have the best video quality and extraordinarily effective noise filtering. The stability and range of available mounts makes it more flexible than most/all bullet cams. The only real downside is the profile; although this is improved if you have the low profile head mount. The accessories are expensive, too. Forget the £300 1080 and get the £230 960 - you'll only ever use the super wide angle res anyway.
snow conditions
Go Pro is great most of this was shot using it

http://youtube.com/v/VgPZQI6yuqg
ski holidays
dogcam aren't supplying the pov 1.5 anymore from the looks of the link and the HD version is £500 i think the other popular cams offer better value for money and you won't be disappointed with any of them. Not a fan of gopro just cos of how you look wearing it. Personally I really like the idea of having some feedback of what you are filming before you set off and being able to adjust settings via phone prob swing it towards contour but then you are relying on another device so maybe the drift??
snow report
yeah i have found a second hand VIO POV1.5 for £150 with a few spare bits. Im considering it against the ContourRoam which is £170
snow conditions
slowphil, surprisingly inobtrusive in practice. Most of the skier POV shots in DVDs use GoPros due to the stability and image quality. The angle is so wide that a few degrees out on angle doesn't make any significant difference. I believe you can use the vented helmet mount and rig it as a chest cam between your rucksack straps. My Bro had an HDMax 1080 for a while but the GoPro destroys it in terms of image quality, especially in rapidly changing constrasts. All of them are pretty crap unless it's sunny though; white balance goes a bit nuts
ski holidays
I saw some talk (possibly on here or TGR) of the GoPro getting overwhelmed by too much light on bluebird days.. anybody had an issue with this? Also, i'll mostly be doing the filming for me or possibly Youtube (for me and 2 other people to watch). Is it worth the extra money for the gopros quality and stability if that's what it's for?
snow report
Just bought a Muvi HD Pro Gumball 3000 (half the price). Probably not as good quality as Go Pro or Contour, but I couldnt just ify it. I wanted the contour as it is a bullet cam so easier to mount and looks better. The quality of the Muvi is spot on. Obviously havent used for skiing yetm but cant wait. I paid £125 for it off Play (IWWOT.com also selling at mo for £125). Its full 1080HD and comes with loads of extras that u have to pay for with the Go Pro
snow conditions
Jon Ford, looks reasonable, especially as the mounts use a very similar system to the GoPro. Not sure how weather/shock proof it is or what the video/sound quality is like compared to the more expensive cameras but I'm betting that's where the compromises are. David@faceshotgnartryto-copyme got some decent footage from his micro Muvi though
snow conditions
Sharkymark, done some test footage on the beach and it picks up the blue sky, water and beach great. Also went well with fast moving dogs. Only tried it with the waterprrof case (additional £26) and quality comes through clear (so does the video quality). All my videos have music dubbed over so not too bothered about sound though. Good thing about it is that is comes with window mount for car and 2 or 3 gogle mounts as well as stick pads. Also comes with remote control for wrist which is really good. Will do the job for me. the last ski vid I did was using by camera (panasonic Lumix TZ10) and its better quality than that, so Im happy! If the videos really take off, I may upgrade to the contour Stealth. Wouldnt go Go pro as the stealth is better (read so many reviews about the 2 cameras and spent days on Youtube!)
ski holidays
I can't decide between the GoPro and the Contour. What's swaying me to the Contour is the ability to view the image on my iphone. How well does it work?
ski holidays
You mean the Drift Stealth? Just did a mini Youtube investigation: with respect to white balance, the GoPro looks the most neutral, Contour is cool (blue) and Drift is warm. Drift probably just gets it in sun light but GoPro pips both to the post in the shade. All 3 are probably completely crap in cloudy rainy miserable weather wink
latest report
Ive been the proud owner of the the GoPro HD for almost a year & in that time I have attached it to myself whilst skiing, both indoors & outdoors, my motorcycle(obviously not skiing at this point Laughing ) and on a lifeboat in a choppy sea & found it to be excellent.

The downside of no LCD monitor as standard is easily outweighed by a decent battery life recording in High Defination quality. The results on a big screen (8ft x 12ft!) have been great to see.

My son wears it on his helmet & as a boarder it has taken a fair share of spills.

As mentioned it is big & obvious however it is very light weight too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The gopro's have it in terms of overall image quality, but at a cost in terms of overall price (when you add a selection of mounts, LCD back etc etc) and as mentioned the overall phyiscal profile. There are some known issues when mounting on vehicles where high frequency vibration (known as jello in the gopro circles) causes some image abberation but there are ways to reduce this.

All cameras will suffer somewhat in very bright sunshine/snow and the gopro is no different. This can be overcome by adding different lens filters (polarising etc). Big upsides of the gopro is video quality (it's pretty close to broadcast) and is evident by their use now almost exclusively in the POV arena for the major tv producers (eg top gear, GT3 racing on C4, I'm a celebrity, 71 degrees north and many others). and also and their ruggedness and reliability.

A number of snowheads have used some of our gopros and I'm sure they will testify to the overall quality of the output. Obviously they can also be used for other things such as track days, scuba diving (the standard case is rated to 60metres and I have had one go down much deeper with no real trouble).

The wide (170 deg) angle of view means getting the shots you need isn't too difficult but does flatten steep slopes a little, for an example search for anna suisse courchevel 1850 on youtube

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 7-10-11 8:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
From samples i've seen, sound quality on both GoPro and contour seems pretty rubbish. I'd rarely just leave the footage un edited though. i'd just replace it with music anyway so sound quality is a minor issue in my experience. I personally really like the idea of the chest mount for the GoPro which as far as i know, is the only camera with this option. That's mainly due to it giving a better perspective on a bike but also looks quite cool skiing (probably not so much for boarding seeing as you're standing sideways).

I have a bullet cam style camera at the moment and i rarely use it just because of the faff of cables and always needing a pack to carry the battery and recording device. I'm thinking of replacing it with a GoPro at some point.
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/ieMi7MSEUQ0

Chest & helmet mount seems to give good results.

I agree the sound issue is true but I dont think there was a lot of sound out on the mountains whilst skiing to record.

They are expensive but I think you get what you pay for, as in most things in life.

The GoPro forum has some good examples of different enviroments the cameras can be used in http://goprouser.freeforums.org/index.php?
ski holidays
Go Pro's are class, quality of footage is awesome, see alot of them being used on TV now.
latest report
Quote:

Go Pro's are class, quality of footage is awesome, see alot of them being used on TV now.

The Art of Flight!! ok so it's a boarders film but if it's good enough for them..........
snow conditions
Gatecrasher - Exactly mate, got my Blu Ray yesterday and noticed they were using them........are there any comparable ski films to Thats it Thats All & The Art of Flight or not?, seems to me they are breaking new ground with the Brain Farm films.
snow report
Skrabble, not sure but I really hope they are working on one as we speak, incredible, jaw dropping! Makes me want to have a go on one of them tray thingy's, well maybe not that much be still, Respect!
latest report
Skrabble, gatecrasher, if you've not seen it, check out "Steep", it may scratch your skiers itch.
snow report
Hi all, I use a kodak playsport, waterproof and 1/3 the price of a gopro or contour, no white balance problems with it and always perfect sound(no wind noise), strapped to the top of my ski boot. Picks up speech perfectly too.
It has a video screen to play back what you just filmed too. Cant fault the thing. I think there is a newer version now that adds dust proofing and shock proofing.

I strap it with a tunebelt smartphone armband.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tune-Belt-Armband-iPhone-Blackberry/dp/B002NL2WYQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318006360&sr=8-1-fkmr0&tag=amz07b-21
Took me a lot of searching to find something that would fit/work. Hope this helps save some dough.
snow report
Earlyapex... Do you have any footage from the playsport you could share?? I have the older model zx1 which I'm really pleased with but it lacks the motion stabiliser, so was thinking of upgrading to the playsport....
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways,
Quote:

Skrabble, gatecrasher, if you've not seen it, check out "Steep", it may scratch your skiers itch.

cheers, a mate has it so will check it out!
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways,

I will see if i can find it and have a look. Embarassed Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy