Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I have been skiing before but my partner hasnt, I also have a 3 yr old boy, can anyone recommend where would be a good place to take him for his first time or even which comapany to go through... Im not too bothered about the skiing part for me, I just want him to enjoy it, im guessing his mother will go with ski school and ill be with him all day, I want it to be cheap as possible (probably Half board I would guess... anyone?), cheap passes and enough to entertain a 3 year old for a week, oh and his mother...

It will be at the end of january / beginning of Feb 2012 for 1 week...

The Travel agent recommended Pamporovo (ive been to borovets and it seemed good for beginners)

Thanks

C
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bri123, welcome to SHs. snowHead If one objective of the holiday is to get your partner hooked on skiing, get some advice on where she can get top quality ski tuition, in small groups. There is a wealth of choice out there - give us a bit more idea of your preferences (big place, little place, loads of noisy bars, no noisy bars, do you want a place to ski in/out or prefer to be more central in town for choice of other activities, etc etc

Normally the cheapest way to do it would be to cater for yourselves, but that can be a bit lonely, especially if a small child keeps you in during the evenings.

If you go end January, that's low season (good choice of time) and with just 3 of you there will be plenty of last minute bargains. I'd wait till much nearer the time if I were you. A catered chalet which has other families with kids can be a very good choice, especially for you with your child-care duties. There are places where you can get the kids looked after but that's never cheap, and it sounds as though you want to do that yourself (good for you). Other kids to play with, some snowballs, a bit of toboganning, just walking in the snow, all good. he might even be able to do a "kindergarten" ski class, with as much emphasis on play as on skiing, to give you a chance to get out on your own for a bit.

If budget is tight you probably won't want to get involved in lessons in a fridge for your partner - though if money were no object, they'd be a good idea. Not cheap, though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks for the reply, half board at least would prob be best considering....

naaa i dont see the point in going on holiday just to palm him off onto someone else ALL DAY if u know what i mean..

I was thinking if she could at least snow plough b4 going that would be better than going and being pout in the beginners group all wk..

the nearest is leeds i think...

thanks
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bri123, Pamporovo is billed as the more family oriented of the Bulgarian resorts, and that's possibly the case. It's also true that the ski runs are more oriented for the beginner market rather than advanced skiers. However, if you're looking to get your wife and child hooked, and for alternative things to do when not skiing, then it will be fairly limiting and not as conducive for passing on the 'Ski Bug' as some other resorts.

The hotels are scatterred around the main commercial district (village is not an appropriate term) and the place is a little lacking in charm. If you're not going to be leaving your hotel then you might be ok if you have a highly rated (expensive 4/5 star) hotel. If not, then resort facilities are rather limited.

Also bear in mind that it is known as the 'sunny resort' for a reason. It's the most southerly ski resort in europe and claims the highest levels of sun for a ski resort, which is great if your looking for a sun tan but not if your looking to get in some slope time and some decent snow coverage on the slopes. Bulgaria also gets most of its snow in the later stages of the season. Bulgaria can certainly be cheap but you can probably find better value with a wider range of options somewhere other than Pamporovo / Bulgaria.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bri123, if you plan to go for a last minute deal (which could save you a packet) you're probably best getting some ideas of a fairly wide range of resorts, so that you can be flexible when the offers come up. You can also then get up to date idea of the snow cover.

I've never been to Pamporovo so can't comment on that - I often looked at it in the brochures and always decided against. There are tons of places with better reports.

The chalet formula is particularly good if you are on a budget because you get a substantial "tea" after skiing, with cake, baguettes and jam, unlimited tea and coffee etc. With a big breakfast and tea you don't need a lot in between (it's those lunches on the mountain which can be a budget-breaker).

If you avoid the "big name" resorts (the 3 Valleys, Tignes, Val D,Isere, St Anton, Zermatt etc) you will save a lot. Your partner will only need a few slopes and a good instructor.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Have a look at Saint-Gervais France if you want somewhere closer to home than Bulgaria. http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/ski/saint-gervais.htm see hotel Monte-Bianco (which as a kids club - mostly for French kids but British clients told us it worked well for them too). Otherwise if self-catering an optionsome great prices in resorts like Morillon (see Le Buet on same site).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy