Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's Val Cenis like at Easter?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are thinking of going to this resort this Easter and were wondering if anyone has been this time of year, what are the villages like with regard to supermarkets, restaurants, access to slopes, piste grading etc, many thanks in anticipation.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have not been there in April but I would tend to go somewhere very high such as Val Thorens if skiing so late. However all runs were complete and well covered when I was there in the 3rd week of March. There are good supermarkets and several restaurants. Access to slopes is easy and prices are very good for Hotels and lift passes etc since until recently this was (and still to a good extent is) mostly a resort frequented by French families. Personally I would go for Lenslevillard rather than Lenslebourg as being better placed for the skiing and having more of a small traditional village feel (though both do, compared to most ski resorts). There are not many difficult runs but there is plenty of good off-piste and hardly anyone skis the stuff further from the pistes. It is possible to ski several other villages in the Haute Maurienne valley using buses or with a guide if you use one. My favourite was Valfrejus, though it is also the furthest.

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bartezki,
Went a couple of Easters ago ( 1st week April), went with snow trex & got a sleeps 6 appt + ski passes for a few quid under £500 !! Weather was not too bad but snow pretty slushy below 1800 once it warned up, so restricted the available pistes.
Pistes lower down at village level were 'gone' except 1 or 2 to maintain the runs home ( skiing in porridge comes to mind).
Concur with snowballs post & also would suggest maybe a slightly higher area for Easter.
Good luck
Mitch

PS; would recommend snowtrex if going DIY
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Outside restaurant at top of the first lift at the end of March 2010:

More witterings:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=63581
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i have fond memories of val cenis as was my first skiing experience on a school ski trip in... err.... well... 199.......something! loved it, i remember lots of easy runs and it being a really pretty place....... have always wanted to go back but havn't managed it yet!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bartezki, I've only been in January, so no help re Easter. Re the village(s) though - Lansellvillard is prettiest and is the old village centre. Le Haut seemed to be the main centre for big blocks of apartments and tour op hotels. Lanslebourg I skiied down to a few times and it had more useful shops, bigger supermarket, banks etc, but it doesn't really matter where you stay as the bus runs between them all, or you can ski.

I organised for a group of 8 and we found a great value DIY apartment at http://www.destination-valcenis.com/en/apartments-valcenis/residence-bonheur-des-pistes.html Ski in, shuffle out to neighbouring lift.
It was only my 3rd week so hard to judge, but looking back I think the grading may have been on the easy/confidence boosting side Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Went for the last week of the season 2010 - 2nd week in April, so the week after Mitch - we found plenty of good snow at the top of the main lift out of Lenslevillard and the snow over in Termingnon was great.

Like Mitch we went with Snowtrex - amazing value and I would recommend them. Skiing was pretty easy but it was a nice place for a cheap deal, prices in the resort weren't too steep either.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skied there twice in April, although stayed elsewhere in the valley. 1st time OK up high with little low down though it was generally a poor late season. 2nd time we had superb snow really enjoyable skiing. It is north facing so should hold snow well, late season the lower slopes will inevitably soften as the day progresses.
I would be suprised if it is often poor at Easter and would think that providing you don't expect perfect top to bottom stuff late in the day it is a good choice medium s/small sized ski area with varied sking above and below the tree line no pistes are particualrly challenging but many are very enjoyabel. Last time we went we had one of the best powder days I have had as the off piste is so little skied.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sounds encouraging, and we are really keen on the Bonheur des pistes apartments, thanks for pointing us in the right direction, and thanks for digging the photos out, the tree skiing looks good, and (being a Yorkshireman) it's nice to know it's good value!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Easter for most people is 31/03 so you would definitely be fine in Val Cenis at that time (says he). That valley from Aussois to Bonneval has a good snow record see http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/default.cfm/loaddoc.1849.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The date I have for Easter (from a list of 2012 Public Holidays) is April 8th. Who is most people?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Leeds area is also 31/3. Does anyone know if there are snow tyre rules for this area??
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh, you mean Easter Holidays, I thought by Easter you meant Easter. However, that still means the first week of April.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think it would be very risky to go there that late. Went second week of March 08 - the conditions were OK in the morning but slush by lunchtime and ice by mid afternoon. The instructors were talking among themselves about whether the pistes would hold out for more than another week. There is a blue run at the top that stayed OK but by April even that might be poor and in any case I wouldn't want to spend a week skiing one very easy blue run.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy