Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
One of my friends has said he wants to try skiing next year - he is a complete beginner and has never been on skis in his life. I would class myself as an intermediate (reds are my limit, blacks when I feel like making an a*** of myself).

Where would be suitable for us to go - preferably hotel based and snow sure and, of course, somewhere that matches both our abilities.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jb1970, Morzine?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jb1970, Take a look at what is on offer in Austria. You get more for your bucks in most 3*+ hotels. Plus the skiing will probably match both your needs within the same area.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jb1970, might be worth taking into account some recommendations for some decent tuition for your friend when making your decision? I've skied with beginners in Morzine and would second that suggestion - they enjoyed it and so did I. There are also various good English-speaking ski instructors recommended on here in Morzine and Les Gets. I stayed here, it was fine; the food was particularly good. But it's advisable to specify a room at the back, as it fronts on to the main square, which can be noisy.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Where have you been in the past? What's your budget? Time of year you want to go? Do you purely want a resort for skiing or do you want a lively apres ski scene? If you want the latter Austria is the way to go, Soll I think would suit you. It's a bit low but has good snow making and piste management. Andorra is also another option, for France I think Le Plangne and Les Arc (linked resorts) offer some very long and cruisey blues. I went with a large group to Le Rosiere with quite a few beginners, it's very easy going for beginners and the home runs back to the towns of Le Rosiere and Le Eucherts are easy. Allot of places have ski in ski out if it appeals. If you get bored there is the link to Le Thuille included on your pass, Le Thuille has more challenging terrain generally than Le Ros and more of it. The main issue is the very slow poma that drags you over to Le Thuille, it's fine coming back though with no lifts needed. If the weather is a bit dodgey in Le Ros it can be fine over in Le Thuille and vice versa. Le Ros is South facing so depending on the time of year it can get slushy and icey, and it's pretty much all south facing. I was there over Christmas a couple of years ago and it just dumped and dumped at night, had the best powder ever.

TBH lots of resorts would be fine, the bigger resorts tend to have more of everything so if you're mate doesn't progress too far in a week you won't have to go over the same terrain as you would in a smaller resort. The thing to watch out for is the runs down to your potential accomadation. I was in Le Plangne this year and the quickest way back to our village was a red that under normal circumstances would have been fairly timid, but it hadn't snowed for over a fortnight so by the end of the day it was polished glass. Fine if you have the confidence but I saw some nasty falls over the week and some of our group opted to get the bus back down.

You'll probably know this yourself from when you started out but don't try to get you're mate to follow you down runs before he's ready at the risk of really knocking his confidence.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy