Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hard shell pants

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I've read a lot here but not really posted, found plenty of info though Smile Now to ask for some advice and suggestions on hard shell pants and sizing.

I've just renewed my jacket - Berghaus Antelao II at a great price - after many years good service from an older similar jacket. This meets my requirements of also being suitable as general rain jacket and for winter walking/mountaineering.

My current legwear is a 8 year old set of £25 decathlon insulated salopettes, i tend to overheat in them and they offer little in the way of waterproofing. I'd like a set of pants (trousers/salopettes/whatever we're calling them) that also meet these multi use requirements. I'm looking for the following:

* Hardshell goretex/similar - happy to layer underneath as necessary
* Suspenders/braces. A bit of a back panel would be ideal, not looking for full "bibs".
* Good ventilation, but full length zip isn't necessarily required.
* Fit me at 195cm/120kg
* Not super baggy
* Budget: Up to £200 but prefer to spend a bit less (this rules out the pants that match the Antelao jacket)

I've been looking at the Marmot Spire but these seem to only go up to XL and there's nowhere even remotely nearby to try them on.

Thanks in advanced! Any suggestions?

ps Off to Cervinia in December, so a bit of time to find something. Getting too excited too early though!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Decathlon used to do something cheap that would probably have met those requirements (Bionassay 700, which was available last year I think) but the current iteration of the Bionassay might not have suspenders. Hard to tell though... often these things might have the right mounting points on the waistband, but the people writing the website blurb for them forget to mention it. If it is practical for you to visit a Decathlon store, it might be well worth it

I have a nice pair of Berghaus Velum overtrousers (which were cheap from sportpursuit a couple of years ago), but I think that regular use as a ski outerlayer would destroy the inside-ankle area. Something like the Mountain Equipment Karakorum trousers would be fine, but its right on the edge of your budget... you can find it on a discount, but maybe not in your size.

Another couple of possibilties for you:

- Paramo Aspira trousers. There are threads out there comparing Paramo stuff with hard shells, so I won't repeat all that stuff here, but suffice to say that they're just fine when the temperature is sub-zero, and pretty reasonable even faced with continual heavy rain. The Aspira Trousers are a little over your budget (rrp £220), but you might find em reduced or second hand if you're lucky.

- Get some non-membrane softshell trousers, and some cheap waterproofs to throw on over the top. Softshells tend to be lighter and cheaper than hardshells, breathe better, dry quicker and are easier to maintain. If it isn't raining, they'll do an excellent job of shedding snow and stopping wind. They'll shrug off light rain, and they're good for winter walking and climbing. Because they're weather resistant, you can get away with cheap waterproofs over the top, even if nasty weather.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Worth keeping your eye on Sportpursuit they have decent ones from Marmot, Haglof, etc regularly, usually £150 - 200. They have useful sizing guides for the items they're selling too.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the info.

Sports pursuit is where i got the jacket from, nothing suitable in the right size in the last few weeks though.

Ended up finding a pair of XXL Marmot spires in the UK so i'll give them a shot for size.

RE the shell holding up in the ankle area for skiing, these have a reinforced patches at the ankle - hopefully this will help. I'll report back after some use assuming they fit!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome.

neoxerox,

We have Spire's they seem to fit big and seem reasonably hard wearing. Looking new after ~ 60 days last season. BiL stocks them, albeit in Chamonix. Can see what he can do size wise if you like?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've got a pair of penguin hardshell pants which I bought from sportpursuit last year, my favourite item of ski wear
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I got Firemore to make a pair of my ideal ski trousers for me. I sent them my measurements and they made them to measure.

The trousers I ordered match your specification, apart from not having side zips. They are made to order though, so if you want side zips I'm sure that would not be a problem. The website shows some full ski bibs, but Eliabeth will make things that are not on the website.

They are brilliant ski trousers, the only thing to be aware of is that they can take a long time to arrive, mine took around 10 weeks, although Elizabeth did apologise and say that was much slower than normal.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Me in Firemore ski trousers....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153947859075548&set=a.10153947857120548.1073741828.645890547&type=3&theater

I can't remember how much they cost, but it was less than £200.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've got the Helly Hansen Odin Mountain Pant. What I like about it is that the bib part of the salopete can be unzipped to make them into normal pants. Not cheap at £400 new, but there are some places with new-old stock from the 13/14 season for significantly less.

http://shop.hellyhansen.com/gb/item/odin-mountain-pant-66570/?t_type=src&COLOR=579%20ARCTIC%20GREY&t_type=cat#.VDGMCSldW9M
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sport Pursuit have a gore tex sale on now and a Berghaus-specific one too. Got the Mrs a Haglofs jacket for £240 (from £550) and myself a Marmot shell jacket for £160 (from £330). The best thing about SP is that it seems to be last-season end of line stuff so all the medium to XL sizes are rare but if you're 195cm and 120Kg, then you're probably looking for XXL+ and that's what they specialize in.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the suggestions. The spire pants turned up this weekend and fit fine.

The Odins look good!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jma wrote:
Sport Pursuit have a gore tex sale on now and a Berghaus-specific one too. Got the Mrs a Haglofs jacket for £240 (from £550)

Sounds like the Couloir Pro I got. Great Jacket.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
glasgowcyclops, It was the Couloir Pro Jacket, first impressions are very good indeed. Since then I've also bought the Marmot Spire pants and am awaiting them with bated breath!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I bought myself the Couloir Pro from them a few weeks ago (mens version), and I have to say I'm very very impressed.
Can't wait to try it for real in the snow!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy