Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotish Snow - 70's, 80's 90's - Anyone remember ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Prompted by the discussion in another thread, I remembered this pic which I snapped on the wall of a hotel in Fort William. I wondered if Dr Miller was right ?

Sorry for the rubbish phone camera pic.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The line about solar activity diminishing in 30-45 years is interesting, we are of course 45 years since the date of the article and Solar Cycle 24 has seen the lowest solar activity for over 100 years. There are people who will tell you CairnGorm Mountain used to be smothered under a snowy blanket from October to May every year in the 60s, 70s and 80s, but when the rose tinted glasses come off the reality has always been more variable, though admittedly there does seem to be cyclical peaks and troughs.

Arguably the worst season was 1964 - though direct comparison with now is somewhat difficult as there were only 4 snowsports areas in Scotland that season and the 3 still with us today were much less extensively developed. The mid 70s through till the tail end of the 80s did seem to be a more favourable spell, but was not immune to awful seasons such as 1981 and then this period ended with 3 horrific seasons in 4 years in 1988/89, 1989/90 and 1991/92. 2010, 1994 and 2001 are right up there with the biggest winters in the past 50+ years and conditions on CairnGorm Mountain in April and May 2012 were exceptionally good, if that spell is a sign of winters to come - I'll take it! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AndAnotherThing.., I was up at Cairngorm Dec '84 to May '85. Snow arrived first week of Jan and in a really big way and we could pretty much ski to what was then the "new" day lodge all season, and that included the BASI weeks at the very end of April and into May. My last day skiing that year was around 15th May but I could have easily carried on. It was certainly cold - I lived out past Boat of Garten and the mercury hit -26 one night (doesn't really matter if that was F or C but I think it was C). My GF froze solid and moved out to a B&B. I think that was in the Feb and is close to being a record low in the UK (experts pls correct me if wrong).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need David Goldsmith or Bode Swiller, to answer this..
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin, It's like you are psychic or somefink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The met office have a record low of -27.2c at Braemar on 11 February 1895 and 10 January 1982, also same at Altnaharra in
30 December 1995. Looked yesterday as I remember one winter which might have been 1982 being very cold with the temperature in this area staying below zero day and night for six weeks.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
You need David Goldsmith or Bode Swiller, to answer this....

Looks like we 'trolls and sock puppets' will have a long wait for David Goldsmith......The following is currently posted on Winterhighland:

Quote:
It's hardly unknown for CEOs, and other senior figures, to be wary of internet skiing forums. Winterhighland.info is the only one I currently post to because it's largely free of trolls and sock puppets. I think people who do difficult jobs in skiing generally get a fair and balanced hearing here.
Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy