Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Les Arcs 2011 / 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Just got home. Up early tomorrow as they may be opening the Bellecote so want to get some fresh track if we get over the other side quickly so this will be a short report tonight. snowHead

Today was another powder day. Blue sky and sun all day with fresh powder everywhere, what more could we ask for. Toofy Grin

We headed straight up to Arc 2000 and the Varet and then Grand Col to hunt out some untracked powder. Found a few places and then went down the Col de Chal to Nancroix. All untracked to the bottom. Very nice. had a picnic on the way and then played around above the Derby before heading to the altiport for a little drink via the Arc 2000 bowl including the bordercross course which was fun. Passed through Arc 2000 just to ride on the magic carpet and Disney Arc ( Arc 1950) to see if George was around ( he was closed). Crying or Very sad

Finally having a quick stop at the Altiport and paying a visit to the Les Arcs Folie Deux (The Arpette student party night) and home. Razz Shocked

The stars are out tonight and tomorrow promises to be another powder day!! Have just posted a few pics of today on my facebook page. Here are the two from today I like the best. Good night!! Smile Smile

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowcrazy, wow!! Just browsing the snow reports and came accross your pic, top one, it's absolutely fantastic!! Shocked Very Happy Not made it to Les Arcs yet but must do with views like that.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thats a lot of people at the arpette - and this on a non-busy week?

Stoodents or Russians?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bertie bassett wrote:

Stoodents or Russians?

Its still school holidays in the Balkans. All school holidays finish this week. Next week will be dead. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thefatcontroller wrote:
bertie bassett wrote:

Stoodents or Russians?

Its still school holidays in the Balkans. All school holidays finish this week. Next week will be dead. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
Really?! I arrive on Sunday and this pleases me greatly! snowHead snowHead

snowcrazy - of the photos you've uploaded you've posted some 'off piste in the trees' type ones...where are these? I'd love to give that a go...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SnowSquirrell wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
bertie bassett wrote:

Stoodents or Russians?

Really?! I arrive on Sunday and this pleases me greatly! snowHead snowHead .

We have been going to Les Arcs early January for 7 years now and have noticed how much busier the first 2 weeks of Janaury have become with the Balkan visitors. Nothing worng with that but while we assume the resort will be quiet because the Brits are back in school it sometimes ain't so. The week after New Year last year was also 4 other European countires school holiday. We got thatw rong as we thought a quiet week was really busy. Sad . Being much more careful this year.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My last skiing trip was half term last year, I'm sure compared to that this will be tranquil.

Sorry for bringing this a little off topic, but as you're fairly experienced with Les Arcs, would you suggest the local ski pass is adequate? I'm okay to go on all sorts of runs whereas my girlfriend (whilst willing) may struggle the blacks to begin with. I appreciate the full pass will open up a lot more intermediate runs, but is it worth it? We are on a fairly strict budget....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SnowSquirrell wrote:
My last skiing trip was half term last year, I'm sure compared to that this will be tranquil.

Sorry for bringing this a little off topic, but as you're fairly experienced with Les Arcs, would you suggest the local ski pass is adequate? I'm okay to go on all sorts of runs whereas my girlfriend (whilst willing) may struggle the blacks to begin with. I appreciate the full pass will open up a lot more intermediate runs, but is it worth it? We are on a fairly strict budget....

I assume you mean either Les Arcs or Paradski pass? We love going across to La Plagne but there is loads to do in Les Arcs to keep you busy. If budget is tight don't waste money on the Paradski pass.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thefatcontroller, I am going for a weekend, cost not the biggest issue, will 3 day Les Arcs be enough to keep an average inter happy, or can I get a one day upgrade, not clear on the web site. Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
blahblahblah, 3 days, don't waste a penny on upgrading, you will have several hundred KM's of piste to keep you happy, also the snow is so good the whole resort, even the lowest points, are fully open. Serioulsy don't waste your money. Enjoy what will be on your door step.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What's meant by snow showers on snow-forecast web site. It shows when 1cm will fall so is snow showers just glitters in the air or does it make an impact on the slopes. Hope that makes sense
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thefatcontroller, Thanks for that, never been to Les Arcs and wanted to enjoy the three days ( plus half if I can get everyone moving quickly)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thefatcontroller wrote:
blahblahblah, 3 days, don't waste a penny on upgrading, you will have several hundred KM's of piste to keep you happy, also the snow is so good the whole resort, even the lowest points, are fully open. Serioulsy don't waste your money. Enjoy what will be on your door step.

Second that. We go at Easter for a week each year and 4 seasons ago we had epic snow that allowed us to discover the delights of the the runs down to Villaroger and those below Arc 1600. There is loads to do in three days on just the Arc side with (or without) good snow.

Have been in Les Arcs for 3 weeks and never been across to the other side.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 10-01-12 13:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Though for one or two days local area Les Arcs passes covering say Arc 1600-1800 and Vallandry may be adequate. The web site does not mention these "local area" passes but my friend bought one for a couple days skiing over Christmas/New Year. For 3 days I would reccomend getting a full Les Arcs pass.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a Paradiski pass for anything less than a fortnight.

Over the last 8 years or so I have skied close on 150 days in Les Arcs and gone over to La Plagne 3 times. This year we paid the extra 30 euro supplement each and had a nice ski over to Champagny for lunch (afterall it is not that frequent that the runs to Champagny are open)

I have also sorted out a long weekend trip in March going out on the 9th and returning on the 13th and will get full a Les Arcs pass.

John
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowcrazy,
Quote:

thats a lot of people at the arpette

whats happened to all the tables??
snow conditions
johnE, - sorry, I was being quite vague. By local I meant Les Arcs as opposed to Paradiski.

You've all satisfied my concerns though; Les Arcs will suffice this time around.

Thanks
ski holidays
OK Les Arcs fans what are your favourite and least favourite blue, red and black runs in Les Arcs. My list is:

Blue - Least favourite Foret (boring forest track with nuberous reds intersecting it) in Vallandry, most favourite Reynard (wide, good gradient, usually good snow) in Vallandry

Red - Least favourite Granges (agricultural) in 1600, most favourite Clocheret (apart from the stones at the top this usually has excellent snow, is uncrowded and is a real GS carving run - which is what a good red should be. Malgovert is a brilliant run but IMHO is not the sort of piste you should apply any piste gradings to.) both in 1600

Blacks - Least favourite Ecureuils (not sufficiently sustained or steep, and then prone to icing, real icing not just hard snow) favourite - Dou de Homme (but then there are so many good ones it is difficult to choose, Comboucier and Ours are challengers)

John
latest report
Hi all. It's been great keeping up to date with the comings and going around Les Arcs this winter and the snow looks amazing... I'm out there on Sunday for a week and I can't wait!

Just to bring the mood down a little though I just looked at the Metcheck forecast for the week ahead and it didn't look good.

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/snow_forecast.asp?resortID=28

The freezing level is way up and they forecast.... RAIN! Crying or Very sad Does anyone in resort have any better info? Is Metcheck reliable?

Thanks.
ski holidays
orangekss, Are you sure? I'm reading it differently to you. I see that the freezing point (for next Monday I assume) is low and they predict snow, not rain?!

Or that could be what I WANT to see...
snow conditions
SnowSquirrell, orangekss, Guys i think Metcheck has not been working correctly this season. Quite often when I look at the Les Arcs forecast it is showing a run from May, which is what I think orangekss saw.

Clicking on the link now it is correct and showing snow potential from Monday.
snow report
ITS SNOW NOT RAIN.
ski holidays
That said looking at the GFS, I am not sure, but its a week away.
latest report
You made me go back and check (thinking that I was loosing my mind!) and it's changed! The freezing level is totally different and there's no sign of rain! Hurrah!

I have no idea why I saw something different but I swear I did. I guess the moral of this story is not to bother looking at the forecast... It will be what it will be!

Thanks all. See you on the slopes Very Happy
ski holidays
Hello Guys,

I'm not quite sure if this is the right 'thread' but you guys seem to know lots about Les Arcs so thought it would be worth a try...

We (group of 14) will be arriving in Arc 2000 on Saturday morning for a week of ski fun. One member of our group is a pretty experienced skier (been skiing since before I was born, loves the off piste stuff etc). His usual ski buddy (equally into the off piste adventures) cannot make the trip this year so he's got no one to off piste with.

The rest of us are not quite that good (range from beginner to intermediate) - I'm worried that he may get a little bored if he's stuck with us all week so was wondering if you know of any 'socia'l ski groups/guiding for those who want to do something a little more adventurous? I'm aware that some of the ski reps (we're going with Crystal) provide ski guiding so that would be the first port of call.

Other than that would it be a case of looking to ESF etc for guiding?

Thanks for your help Blush
ski holidays
Easy places to reach in the resort are now pretty well tracked out... but you don't have to hike far to get good fresh snow. Pistes are in very good condition, and very quiet too.

Good to meet up at the Altiport, Snowcrazy, hopefully see you tomorrow.

Couple of smallish hikes on the Grand Col found good snow, but no sooner had we put the tracks down, there were the multitude following! Couple of more unusual pics of the resort....

Top of Transarc from somewhere up the grand col.

Top of Derby from top of Gn Reynard

Yes, has technical problems..... again .. from Gn Col chair.
snow conditions
allanm, were those taken with a long lens?
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
allanm, were those taken with a long lens?

Yes (Canon EF 100-400 f/4-5.6 L IS) , thought I'd give it a go.. objects rather than people or scenery, didn't really work. Won't bother again.
ski holidays
FrenchFriesPizza, snowcrazy is probably a good bet to start with. Send him a pm or try to hook up in Georges Wine Bar in 1950.
There are a number of 1950 owners out this week too who will be in the bar, and we are a sociable lot: depending on who he/you catch may be good bad or indifferent when it comes to the right level!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
allanm, that's a big lump of glass to carry around!
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
allanm, that's a big lump of glass to carry around!

Yes, the 24-104 f/4-5.6 L IS is the one to carry about.
ski holidays
livetoski, They are dancing on the tables. During the next few weeks there are a number of British/Irish Uni ski camps in Les Arcs. This always happens during Jan and March periods. Not school kids, very few school age kids around of any nationality, just big kids at Uni. This week there are about 1500 of them based in Arc 1800 and they party three nights a week up at the Arpette. Same again today, had a quick drink and left them to it. Think I must be getting old Twisted Evil

FrenchFriesPizza, if you send me a PM I will explain what we do. Also have a look at my facebook page. Link below. Does this chap have avalanche safety gear. I do not take anyone without it. If he does not have his own he can rent it from the shop here.

orangekss, Any of these weather forecasts are only an educated guess. If they are more than two or three days in advance they often change. The local weather patterns are very specific to Les Arcs area. If you want a daily update direct from the pistes, I post it every morning on my facebook page around 8.30am. This comes from the pisteurs who are on the mountain each morning getting the resort ready to open, plus the local Bourg French meteo office.

SnowSquirrell, your best bet for a week is to get a Les Arcs Discovery pass which gives you a one day to visit La Plagne. Worth it just for the ride on the Vanoise Express, the biggest cable car in the world they say Very Happy Even if you girlfriend is a weak skier, she will still enjoy going over the other side.

We go over at least twice most weeks. La Plagne also has some great places to ski.

I shall post a short report about today with some photos after I have sorted through them. It was another amazing powder day. Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:
SnowSquirrell, your best bet for a week is to get a Les Arcs Discovery pass which gives you a one day to visit La Plagne. Worth it just for the ride on the Vanoise Express, the biggest cable car in the world they say Even if you girlfriend is a weak skier, she will still enjoy going

+1 A great shame to go to P-Ski and not explore both resorts. Adventure is a key element of a holiday in the mountains snowHead
latest report
Evening!

Sorry for the off-topic question, but I've not had any luck in the reviews/questions thread.

We are visiting Arc 2000 next month and arrive on a Sunday, probably around 6-6.30pm. I would like to book in to start lessons the following morning. I need to make sure I can get kitted out and get a lift pass before the first lesson starts on Monday morning. I will check with the TO about who our equipment is from and then check their opening hours online, but could someone please tell me what time the lift pass office is open until on a Sunday evening, and what time it opens on a Monday morning?

Thanks!
ski holidays
Jenniper, The office shuts about 5- 5.30pm and opens about 8.30am most mornings. You would be better off buying your pass online and getting it in advance by post. This system works well and should not cost any more than buying it through the tour op or at the lift office in person. Sometimes you can even save money this way. Just go on there web site for the details. You can find all the links you need on my facebook page for Les Arcs. Hope that helps.
ski holidays
snowcrazy, Fantastic - thank you. I will order online. I'm not on Facebook so my access to different pages is limited and I can't find lift info on your public page.

This one OK? - http://lesarcs.paradiski.com/

PS - you should tweet more!
latest report
Hi we have booked go to les arcs (2000) on 10th march is this way to late or will we still get some decent runs - we stick mainly to piste don't have confidence (and maybe ability) for off piste (although thinking of trying aiguille rouge - heard it is a really great run). Just me and hubby so can pretty much please ourselves where we ski any advice appreciated. Very Happy
snow conditions
What a fine day we had today. Fresh powder again and again all day!! After a quick warm up in the forest above Les Coches we headed up to Roche de Mio, but found the Bellecote still closed. Not a problem, found some good faces to play on all morning and finally hiked up to the high valley above Champagny for lunch. Very Happy

After lunch had a great decent in fresh untracked snow all the way to the bottom and then started on our journey home via Plagne centre to try the new Verdon Sud chairlift (very nice) and a few gullies plus the new kids piste. Then down through the forest of Les Coches again and back to Les Arcs and a well earned drink at the Altiport before home. More powder tomorrow I think!! Can you ever get to much of a good thing? NOPE!! Toofy Grin

The pics of today are now posted on my facebook page in the photo section. Take a look. Here are the ones I like the best today. snowHead

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 10-01-12 23:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
migletski wrote:
Hi we have booked go to les arcs (2000) on 10th march is this way to late or will we still get some decent runs - we stick mainly to piste don't have confidence (and maybe ability) for off piste (although thinking of trying aiguille rouge - heard it is a really great run). Just me and hubby so can pretty much please ourselves where we ski any advice appreciated. Very Happy

Welcome to snowHead

I would imagine 10th march will be terriffic - it's just at the end of the peak holiday period; so pistes will be less busy and you're likely to still find very good snow conditions for piste skiing at that time.

Enjoy - and if you go to the top of the Ag Rouge then make sure it's a sunny day and take camera as the views are teriffic
snow report
migletski, despite what bertie bassett, says, there really is no way of knowing right now what it will be like in March. Last year was terrible, but the year before was great. With the snow we have now it should be ok as long as it does not rain again as it did last year. Just keep your eyes on this thread or my facebook page and you can see how the conditions develop during the coming weeks before you come out.

The Aiguille Rouge run is just a piste and very easy for a black more like a red. You should not have any problems with it going all the way down to Villaroger. There is loads to do in Les Aecs, but it is worth getting the paradiski discovery pass for a day over in La Plagne as well. Hope you have a good holiday. If you are around Arc 1950 pop into George's Wine Bar to say hi after skiing one day. If you have any other specific questions please ask and I will try to help. snowHead
snow report
snowcrazy, Hmm, I think I tend to agree with bertie bassett, here - it would have to really rain & warm up for a sustained period of time for the snow to disappear by March 10th wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy