Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Les Arcs 2011 / 2012

Poster: A snowHead
allanm, phew pics and a half mate,

just had B on the phone from La Tania he was well, stoked up after today, he only managed one avi today he must be getting better Laughing Laughing

oh and CPR on a russia kid who he found not breathing on a quiet piste, he said he would rather handle an avi than having to get a kid breathing again Shocked
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
surfski, rob@rar, livetoski ,Snowcrazy, et al Cheers for the compliments guys, makes it worthwhile carrying the kit about..
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
allanm, WOW stunning photos!

Such a beautiful sunset today, the last shots of all the Alpine webcams look incredible.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bonjour! Smile

To be quite honest, today was amazing!... Tiring but amazing! I should warn you that there is a fair bit of reference to the fall count.

We started at around 9:30, taking the Arcabulle up. The queue was rather big and rather full of rather impatient people because Bois de l'Ours was closed. We met up with everybody at the top then made our way down to the Vanoise Express on an off piste routethriugh the trees which was good snow and woke me up. After making it across the washing line (Vanoise Express) we soon found some untracked powder, no ice that could be felt underneath our skis and the some of the falls, including the eagle fall in which somebody ended up with all four limbs spread out like an eagle hence the name. We then took the long chair, I think it was called Crozats. We, minus mother, descended upon the waterfall gulley, (the one with the fallen tree, it was a lovely obstacle). The gulley had enough snow to make it enjoyable and enough things to increase the fall count… We met back up with mother in Plagne Bellecote and went up the Blanchets chair. A powder field was then chosen instead of going down the Champagny gulley, this was amazing. The snow was so nice, it was really soft and your skis just ran. We made it to lunch, Le Roc des Blanchets, my favourite restaurant on the La Plagne side because it has amazing Pesto pasta, I love pasta. All the other food is really nice aswell! After lunch we began making our way back to the Vanoise express deciding to take our time. We took the black run, Crozats, it was good and the snow was still treating us nicely; I also had my first chance at making decisions as leader for about 5 mins, it was pretty cool but really hard. Everybody was feeling pretty fatigued by now, the fall count resting on 2, 3, 4 and 8. Snowcrazy, Father and I took an off piste route to the Vanoise Express, (the one slightly further over than the one with the waterfall, I think, I wasn’t really sure where we were I just know where we ended up.) The fall count increased slightly as did the tiredness. We met back up with everybody, including mother, at the Vanoise and then crossed back over. We took the Peisey lift and decided to take the Vagere, we planned to take the Arpette in order to get back but obviously didn’t ski fast enough. We ended up taking the bus from 1600.

The weather was lovely all day, it was quite cold but because we were working so hard it was pretty unnoticeable. The snow was lovely, we often found that it was crusty and soft on the same faces so stuck with the soft snow. There were some places which had ice underneath, I got a bit worried when my skis started making scraping sounds… But it was an amazing day. I also didn't fall as much as some people, which is always good.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
allanm, stunning photos. 10 days til we head out. Seems too long!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey guys just wondering whether anyone has been on the new mount blanc ski lift and if so can you please tel me what it is like as i highly enjoy this run but the old slow ski lift used to be such a chore.

Any comments would be appreciated Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Patrick1600, welcome to snowHeads. The new lift is a fast, detachable chairlift. Significantly faster than the one it replaced, and more comfortable as well Happy The top station is higher than the old lift, so you also have the option of heading in to the main lift network rather than just going back down the Mont Blanc blue.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arctic roll, If 10 days seems too long spare a thought for those who have to wait 24... Razz
Allenm, those pics are awesome!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CodgerJr, Love the report, keep up the good work snowHead You forgot to mention the Zero fall count for one person Laughing do not want people getting the wrong idea. Toofy Grin

For those who like following the routes we did. From the top of Roche de Mio, we went down the offpiste on the right of Inversens piste and then off piste again quite a far way to the right of the Crozats piste. Joining the piste at the very bottom of the valley coming from the Derochoir piste and then going up the Bauches Chair and Carroley Chair to the top.

If you want to see the photos of where we went today and on other days this week, take a look at the Jan 2012 album I will be adding to my facebook page shortly.

Here is a taster, thanks to all her efforts posting the daily reports.

Patrick1600, as Rob says, faster than the old one, but when it gets windy it is very unpleasant at the top and you are better off going on the cachette lift if going over to Arc 1800. It has been shut quite a few times already this season due to high wind so although it is good, it does have some problems and means on very bad weather days you cannot get to the blue Mont Blanc piste in the forest always which is a real pity.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You lot are making me very annoyed. I was supposed to be out from the end of this week until mid-Feb but work is preventing me. Still, I threatened to quit and I am now going to be out on 19th for about 2 1/2 weeks, better than nothing. If any 'Heads are going to be around then speak up - the g/f does not reallyt like the off-piste stuff and I've got some new (to me) planks thanks to an awesome SNOWHEAD that need a try out! 'Crazy - are you still hanging out at George's of an evening - if so I'll try to catch you there.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RattytheSnowRat, where about are you staying? There is 12 of us out there for a week from the 14th at Arc 2000 so we may see you towards the end of the week Puzzled
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Coming out on Saturday for 2 weeks, staying in the Eden Arc complex - our new home, so excited!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Running out of things to say... report wise. Half day in La Plagne - justify the Paradiski pass, great snow both sides. can't ask for more.

View from top of (closed wink ) Ecureuil this morning - soz only had the P&S today...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
allanm, beautiful photo, the snow looks gorgeous!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Heading to 1950 on sat...first time with 3 kids. Excited! Thanks for all the posts
snow conditions
allanm, when last there I heard two blokes describe that run as a 'justin fashanu'

What did they mean i wonder?
snow report
Hello!

Today was a white out, to begin with. This led to me being dragged out of bed to the news that we were getting the bus to 1600. We had a debate about which bus stop had the smallest walking distance, but we managed to get on and arrived at 1600 at about 10 am. We took Cachette up and took an off piste route to Vagere, this was a good first run because it was nice snow which no ice underneath. We planned to take the Derby but soon changed our minds after seeing the queue; this led to us doing the Rat Run. The snow was nice to begin with but by the end was heavier and not very nice so we came out of the trees early. We then took the piste down to Vallandry chair and went up it. We had a short hot chocolate stop at the top of the Peisey chair, although it wasn’t very nice because it was watery, I think we should have gone to Poudresse because their hot chocolates are amazing! We took an off piste route down to Peisey, wanting to maximise our visibility. This was a long run and had lovely powder. We ended up eating at La Vache because our stomachs wanted something more than chocolate substances. It was good, Mum and I shared some calamari and a burger, which was done exactly how I like it. We then took the Peisey lift and went an off piste route to the Derby lift. After the Derby we took yet another off piste route to Arpette, Mum and I broke away from the group at the top so that I could change my skis ready for the race. While that was happening Dad, Snowcrazy and Mr Eagle did some off piste which was apparently amazing with chalky snow and everything; I personally think he was exaggerating to make Mother and I jealous. He came back in time to do the race with me but it was unfortunately cancelled, and there ended another day in Les Arcs.
The clouds were moving really quickly all day, there were Cirrus clouds (it’s the only type I can remember apart from cumulonimbus clouds), darker clouds and fluffy cotton wool clouds. At times there was good visability, for example just after lunch, but other times you couldn’t see exactly what you were skiing. It was really cold aswell.

The fall count today stood at: 0, 2, 2, 4, and unknown. It was less than yesterday though.

I will report again soon, until the, wish you were here as the snow is great.
latest report
macduff wrote:
Coming out on Saturday for 2 weeks, staying in the Eden Arc complex - our new home, so excited!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

have they built it yet?
latest report
bertie bassett, 1st phase opened just before Christmas, plus the pool building although that didn't seem to be operational when I went for a look a couple of weeks ago.
ski holidays
So looking forward to 14th Jan

Just hope we can get there!!!!
latest report
Also looking forward to the 14th, flying from Luton into Geneva. So envious of all you snowHead already there.
latest report
Hope it's built or we'll be looking for floor space for 2 weeks!! Shocked
snow conditions
macduff, you could always camp in my garage space wink

Haver a fab time in your new place.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
bertie bassett, 1st phase opened just before Christmas, plus the pool building although that didn't seem to be operational when I went for a look a couple of weeks ago.

clearly a sign that I need to get myself out there before too long...
latest report
CodgerJr, I do enjoy you writing these reports. Thanks. Very Happy

I am sorry to say that the little couloir and the ski down through the powder afterwards was as amazing as your dad said. Twisted Evil Sorry to hear your race was cancelled. Sad

The pics of today are now posted on the my facebook page. Here are the ones I liked the best today!

We even managed an extra run down off piste to go home as the moon came out after a nice rum and chocolate at the Altiport! Toofy Grin

Another great day comes to an end. More snow on the way tomorrow. Shocked

macduff, Welcome! I hope you have a good trip out. The snow is great and there will be plenty of us around. Your place looks good, although there is still lots of work to be finished. If you fancy meeting up with a few other local expat residents drop me a PM.

RattytheSnowRat, yes I can still often be found in George's Wine Bar at Arc 1950 or over at Bar-King-Mad in Arc 1800. Please do drop by if you fancy a chat. Better still if you or anyone else fancy meeting up for a drink and perhaps to do some riding send me a PM or visit my facebook page.

snow report
steven0123 wrote:
Arctic roll, If 10 days seems too long spare a thought for those who have to wait 24... Razz

Shush you.... 38 days Sad

CodgerJr, keep up the good work, it just goes to whet the appetite even more!

Snowcrazy - Thanks for all your effort keeping the FB page updated. Browsing the pics helps to keep me sane at work. Might just have to buy you a pint when the mrs and I get out there.
snow report
great,
thanks you lot, still got to wait till 11 feb.
Looks like there will be enough snow, so for a change, can i please book some bluebirds for feb half term snowHead
ski holidays
What a crazy day. I went out for a walk to the shops. Checked what the weather was doing up on the mountain and gave up the idea of going out for the day. Crying or Very sad

I just spoke to one of my friends that did go out ( I am very impressed, a real mountain man) and this is his report. Twisted Evil

'The lower chair lifts were open at the start of the day. It snowed lightly at first and then heavily and is still doing so ...now. The wind increased in speed as the day progressed and after lunch the Grizzly was closed. The pistes were like off piste and there were very few people about. The vis was very poor and the light was flat. But it was a challenge to go out in these conditions and the powder everywhere was great, well above your knees in many places.' Thanks for the report P.

With the high winds, the snow is being moved around and it will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings once the conditions have calmed down. It has not yet started to rain, but the temp is now around zero degrees at 800m and the snow is very wet. Evil or Very Mad

More to follow tomorrow morning.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowcrazy, sounds like the pistes will need a few days bashing to get them into a state most people would recognise as 'pistes'

Temp is due to drop tonight and stay low for a couple of days at least so that should be good news for everyone and help them manage the snow
ski holidays
I've just seen on twitter that there's been an avalanche on the road to Les Arcs and it's currently closed..is this the case? Hope everyone is okay....
snow report
the road to up here in Val d'Isere as well as Tignes is closed for sure - I would guess that Les Arcs could / would be a in a similar situation.
snow conditions
Hello!

It's currently really cold, really windy, really horrible, really looks like a vortex and the doors to outside are really hard to open because the snow has blocked them.

I got up late today, got a bus down to 1600 and then met up with some friends. We just kept to the pistes and did about 4 runs, I know, disappointing, please don't judge. The snow was soft but the wind, snow and cold made it very uncomfortable. As a result of the level which members of the group could ski, we didn't go into the trees, although that would have been more logical. We then went for lunch at 1600, l'Arqubuse, it was actually quite nice. I had the chef's special which was ham cooked in honey with daphanoise potatoes. We then didn't want to go back out to ski so we got the bus back to 1950.

The road is closed and as I mentioned previously the weather is awful. My friend is stuck with us for the night because she can't get back.

I admit this isn't a very good snow report more of a weather complaint but oh well.

Last day tomorrow, wish I could stay out longer! Sad
ski holidays
A wild day today CodgerJr, you will tell stories about this for years to come snowHead
ski holidays
How come the weather is so bad (wind etc) is this usual for Dec/Jan. Hope its not this bad in 4weeks. I really want snow, but also want to ski!!!
ski holidays
Went up about 10:30 and carried on until about 3:30, mostly in peisey / vallandry, and certainly not the best conditions, but not the worst I've seen either. Tree skiing was OK to brilliant best part of the day, perhaps until later on this afternoon. Ski back from 1800 later on was pretty bleak.

Not the best day in the world, but one where you really appreciate decent kit, especially goggles. I wouldn't come here for 4 weeks of today, but an interesting and challenging day.
snow conditions
FOR THOSE GETTING READY TO DRIVE OUT THIS WEEKEND, COMING BY TRAIN or STAYING IN BOURG ST MAURICE. HERE IS AN UPDATE FOR YOU.

For train users and those passing through Bourg. At the train station and bottom of the Funicular on changeover days, the tourist office now have Resort Hosts waiting to help you get from the station to the Funicular via a free bus and at the top, another person to direct... you to the shuttles to each of the stations. These buses are timed to meet the various trains during the day to reduce your hanging around time and are free (you have to pay for the Funi if you do not have a lift pass).

On changeover days Polaire Star Ski Shop right by the bottom of the funicular allows you to leave your luggage from 8.30am until 6.30pm for 4 Euros a day. It is also possible on other days by arrangement.

For those based in Bourg you can leave your own ski gear overnight everyday at Polaire Star to save carrying them home (my friend found this very useful this week) for 5 Euros approx (depending on what you leave with them) a day.

For those needing to rent gear, Polaire Star have ski and snowboard equipment available on a daily or weekly basis. I also checked out their new ski service equipment and it is amazing. If you need your gear serviced. It is done right on site with really high tech equipment. Makes your skis/snowboard look like new (well nearly) if yours are as old as mine!!

Visit their web page for more details: http://www.polairestar.com/

The new 'Funi Snack' bar serving drinks, breakfast, snacks etc everyday is a really good addition to the services available at the bottom of the Funi.

There is a Lift Pass Office and a self service lift pass machine to save queuing. They have a new entrance area which is covered and seems to be much better for entering the Funi. Not had to queue once yet.

Parking at the bottom of the Funi is free, but they are not allowing more than 24 hours parking and people have been given tickets for leaving their cars longer and even towed to another area. Be Warned.

If you are driving up the mountain to the stations. The roads to Bourg are clear of snow right now, but you will need chains or winter tyres to drive up from Bourg to the ski stations. The warning signs are flashing and the police might stop you if you are not carrying the correct equipment. Right now it is snowing down to the valley again and unless you have chains/winter tyres it will be impossible to drive safeley up the mountain IMO.

The road to Arcs 1960/2000 was closed last night. Still waiting to hear what the condition are like this morning, but looking outside, it cannot be good.

I hope this information has helped. If you have any other questions about Les Arcs, please get in contact and I will try and help. Have a good holiday!!
snow conditions
WHAT IT LOOK'S LIKE OUTSIDE: (From ME!) righ now.
Looking outside the wind is blowing hard, it is snowing and the vis is very poor right down to the valley. The roads are covered in fresh snow and the conditions right now are quite harsh with cold temperatures, but this should keep the snow in better condition for later in the day.

The roads to Arc 1600 from Arc 1950/2000 is still closed, but the road up from Bourg is open, but drive with care. they may close again at any time.
snow conditions
Thanks for the updates, really helpful. We are arriving on Sat and heading to 1950 so updates on the roads would be much appreciated. Don't have to drive ourselves thankfully - on bus from airport. Jo
ski holidays
snowcrazy, Many thanks for the very useful updates and Info. We're also arriving Sat morning, coming in on the first train. Hope conditions improve Smile
snow report
having been to peissey-vallandry several times , we are re-visiting this year with a big group , 18 x families all booked into L'Arollaie in Plan peissey .We all ski/board separately and are all of different levels but we like to have a number of " base " restaurants where we head for and are likley to bump into each other .There are a few restaurants that people have mentioned are worthwhile popping into , La vache , Poudresse and Altiport . I have got a piste map to hand but can not locate these places .Can someone give some directions or maybe some other suggestions of good places to stop .
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy