Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Les Arcs 2011 / 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks Arctic Roll. I'm a bit disappointed about a Turkeyless Christmas, but we're all booked in to the Table de Lys for Noel evening so we've got that to look forward to instead. Thanks again Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not much words can say about today, took a few snaps but they don't really do justice.

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
allanm, Stunning but torture to look at from afar.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's snowing. Again.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, Boring, boring, boring....tell us something new. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I can see from the webcam of Champagny that it has snowed to low as well..Be back in a bit rob@rar, going for a walk in the dark and rain(again) with the dogs.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thefatcontroller, it's still snowing wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Happy Christmas rob@rar, snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
allanm, Great photos. Seven more days. Hope to meet up when we are out. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thought yesterday was good, today was what it's all about. Sorry no pics

The bottom line..
Few centimetres of snow up top covered most tracks leaving the 2000 bowl like a moonscape, amazing.
Visibility was changeable but fine. Seemed a little colder today.
Resort was 'deserted', Transarc going up with many cabins empty, a bit different from yesterday. No queue for Varet either.

The detail.....
Spent the morning around the 2000 bowl - most of the normal places untracked including the 'ridge' down to Plagnettes. Just magical skiing in the fresh powder laid overnight.

Afternoon's highlight was off the top of the Varet (AR still closed) off-piste down to the igloo mostly untracked. Luckily followed an instructor with small group who went a slightly different way than we would normally, big smiles.

Bit of a laugh off the Varet, went to put skis on - couldn't get boots in, very puzzled. After a while a female ski instructor came up to me and said 'I think you have my skis', immediately I replied 'and you have mine'! Mine actually have my name on a bit of tape, She said it was only when she saw the tape she realised what the problem was. laughs all round! Shame as mine are absolutely knackered.

To end the day, 'M' the diamond of LA - it's just the best 'playground'.
'Left 'of the hut after cachette was completely untracked and real bonus on the way home to Vallandry.

Bon Noel!

BTW, Thanks for the offers of keyboards, looks like I've found one, Tracker at the Mont Blanc reckons he has a spare, should pick up tomorrow.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
allanm, Maybe see you at the Mont Blanc tomorrow after skiing? - fab photos Very Happy

I think today has been the very best snow I have ever skied in - just fantastic Very Happy Very Happy

Got a dongle now, so can check in Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Merry Xmas to everyone in les Arcs and for the record rob@rar its still bloody raining here. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I think today has been the very best snow I have ever skied in - just fantastic

genepi, snowHead snowHead snowHead Yes, better conditions than anyone has a right to expect at Christmas. Fantastic.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A very lovely Christmas Morning's skiing. Blue sky, a crisp -15 degrees and very quiet around the resort. Still some fresh tracks to be found without having to trek to find good snow. Back home now for the traditional "It's a Wonderful Life", presents, afternoon walk and Christmas Dinner.

Merry Christmas to all!

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ho hum -I'm all done for the season Sad

I've damaged my knee on Bellette (just below Derby lift Embarassed ) & had to be bloodwagonned off. 'You 'ave no cruciate ligament' was the diagnosis, but as I only had 20% of anterior one one on that knee, I'm not sure if he meant the posterior one has gone, as well as the remaining 20%. MRI on return will tell, I guess. So, champagne & smoked salmon to ease the pain, & luckily I had my Donjoy knee brace in the cave Madeye-Smiley

So, have fun & enjoy the fantastic conditions - & keep posting the photos...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
genepi, Crying or Very sad Commiserations.
latest report
rob@rar, I'm sure N would still like to meet up
ski holidays
genepi, Sad Sad Sad
ski holidays
genepi wrote:
rob@rar, I'm sure N would still like to meet up
I'll get in touch later in the week. Maybe we can meet somewhere in Plan Peisey so we can at least say hello?
latest report
rob@rar, Excellent - with my new 'Cannes Anglaise' fitted with lights & crampons, I dare say I'll be able to make it to La Solan Very Happy
snow report
genepi, What a bu&^&er, perhaps meet for a chat sometime. (:<)

Started the day on Lanchettes down to Villaroger, off / side of piste was terrific we were the only people in La Ferme.. deserted.

Resort was pretty quiet overall, bluebird day, great snow, although a bit crusty in places, notably traversing far left down Bois de L'our, although that was quite early in the day.

Run of the day probably was the sides of Droset in and around the trees on the RHS looking down - fresh untracked powder, not sure I'm not missing some thing as so much untouched...?

Up comborcier then the 'M' track but cut back high down the LHS of comborcier, two of the pics are there. Dropped down onto comborcier piste but crossed straight over into the gulley (some locals call the death valley - no idea why) - all great fun. Back up comborcier and the alternate (slightly steeper) entrance to Malgovert,

Finished off the top of the transarc, down the LHS of the reservoir, lovely.. remarkably few tracks down there - great snow.

Great day, hopefully will continue.. and we haven't bothered hiking yet!!

AR should open any day now, reason for closure, I'm told, is that they are having problems bashing the runs off the top - nothing to do with the lift itself.

latest report
genepi, Sad Sad Sad
ski holidays
genepi, Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad tough one.

allanm, jealous and happy for you all in one. Please save some for us who still have 3 weeks ish to wait. Living vicariously through your piccys is all very well, but some times...
latest report
These pictures are not helping my excitement levels Laughing Laughing i can't wait !
ski holidays
Still surprisingly quiet, perhaps more so than this time last year.
Droset and off the side being the run of my short day, had some things to do this morning didn't get out 'til 11 (:<)
Play a little off Clocharet where we had lunch on a rock somewhere..

The only negative.. Off-piste there are still a lot of rocks. Saturday ripped a load of of one base and put in for repair, cost me 25€. Rocked again yesterday, not going to pay that again, so ptex'd and waxed in apartment.

Not wishing to start any helmet debate here - I hit a rock on Grand Col Saturday, and fell, bashing my knee. I must admit I was very aware I wasn't wearing a helmet - these rock are hard and hurt. Apart from a bruised knee though, all is fine.

Similar yesterday, no harm done except a serrated 'gouge' in base - fixed this morning.

As requested... a couple of pics, took a wide angle today - didn't really work.

Top of new Mont Blanc Lift - it is there if you look closely!

View from picnic rock at lunchtime

Top of Grizzly at closing time
snow report
allanm, Jez, looks deserted. It is however Xmas week which is normally not that bad. Wait till next Sunday and New Year week starts NehNeh As opposed to Sunday 15th when it will be dead Cool
snow conditions
Great pic on the Les Arcs Facebook page of the Aguille Rouge cable car. Bit frozen?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150433671826759&set=a.461792976758.248261.32244856758&type=1&theater
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:
allanm, Jez, looks deserted. It is however Xmas week which is normally not that bad. Wait till next Sunday and New Year week starts NehNeh As opposed to Sunday 15th when it will be dead Cool

Mmmmmm Tout le monde arrive aujourd'hui!

Morning started off fairly quiet, but some bigger queues this afternoon, Arcabulle looked awful queue-wise but that lift does shift a lot of people. More people ariving this evening, you litterally can't get in the sherpa door, which is a bad news as we've ran out of wine for dinner!

Off-piste day today with Skiclub 1, very enjoyable, can really recommend looking out for the rep (sorry leader) if or when she is back here or in other resorts. There was also another 'leader' with the group. All good skiers, great banter, made for a cracking day...

Started with deux tetes down between the rocks, off-piste, not the run, Clocharet and down the valley cutting through the trees, not any fresh tracks to be had at either, but all good fun.

Up launchettes and down RHS (looking down) of Drozet in the trees, some fresh to be had but mostly pretty tracked out.

Later on.... 2000 ridge and a little hike (bit more for the rep Very Happy Very Happy ) and down to Arcabulle.. Some of us went left and traversed a little bit further and got looooovelly fresh tracks down to the lift... you just need to go that little bit further...

Grand Col was the final run, down the LH (looking up) gulley, almost a mogul field, but nice snow all he same, then, again we traversed just a little further than any one else, so far, and got fresh tracks down to the lift.

All in all a better day than you could ever imagine..... certainly in the office wink .

Sorry, no pics, group moved on pretty quick, didn't have much of a chance.
ski holidays
genepi, really sad news Sad , I was looking forward to doing some riding with you again this winter. Hope your knee get's better as soon as possible. Good luck!!

For everyone else, I hope you are enjoying all the great snow!!! More snow might be coming next week.

The forecast for tomorrow sounds so nice. 'Clear sky! Sunshine with a discreet veil of clouds at high altitude. And light winds of variable direction.'

With all the snow right now, it promises to be another good day. Enjoy!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just found the official Les Arcs App for Android is now available. Looks very good although it could do of more info on hotels and chalet locations.
[Les Arcs Android App]
ski holidays
Just another great fun day(to coin phrase someone else uses here)

Highlights of the day, were the last runs down the Flying K and Robert Blanc, loooovelly snow still although well tracked.

Great to see 'J' & 'S' again, having missed them last season.

Resort is much busier, but the fast lifts ere coping very well, although the queue for the varet looked awful it was only a few minutes in reality.. AR, on the other hand, wasapretty well a non starter.

The queue for this...........

Was this... and zigzagging inside. Neadless to say, we didn't bother.

And went down the flying K.....
snow report
surfski wrote:
Just found the official Les Arcs App for Android is now available. Looks very good although it could do of more info on hotels and chalet locations.
[Les Arcs Android App]

Have a good look at the "Permissions" of that App which include

Services that cost you money
Directly call phone numbers. Allows the application to call phone numbers without your intervention. Malicious applications may cause unexpected calls on your phone bill. Note that this does not allow the application to call emergency numbers.

and

Hardware controls
Take pictures and videos. Allows application to take pictures and videos with the camera. This allows the application at any time to collect images the camera is seeing.

Shocked
ski holidays
Bit of a later start today, very poor vis, and Vallandry lift queue mental when I went down for bread at 10. I think everyone came over to the trees here, so figured best policy was to go somewhere else.

Made my way to comborcier via vallandry, back of derby and reynard, down the comborciere valley (RHS looking down) nothing great, and then went to meet SC1 at the igloo at lunchtime. Not quite sure who's idea it was, but we hiked up to the hut, as below. As we don't have a license for the park we just had to make fresh tracks back down to the lift, how terrible.

That be me on he right....

And our leader in the middle.
snow conditions
nice day for it Smile
snow report
Arrived in Bourg last night, but it looks like I won't be doing any skiing today. It's snowing like there's no tomorrow outside and the arcs webcams look like whiteout. Anyone think it'll let up later?
snow report
it will stop the very second rob@rar leaves today. Very Happy
snow conditions
Salgar, Not due to stop till Sunday Smile
latest report
Access road to 1950 + 2000 being closed between 14:00 and 16:00 due to avalanche prevention if my interpretation of their french twitter feed is correct..
latest report
I'm off to les arcs in feb, let's hope the snow just as good then! Puzzled
snow report
motojack, Welcome to the snowheads forum. I'm sure if the snowfalls keep up like this it will be. A group of 12 of us will be out there 14th Jan.
snow report
Neville wrote:
it will stop the very second rob@rar leaves today. Very Happy
We decided to leave a couple of hours earlier than planned this morning as it was snowing so hard. Roads were 'tricky' as far as Chambery, and it wasn't until I passed through the tunnel at Chambery that I managed to get in to top gear and above 45mph (and I was overtaking most things on the road). Good thing it wasn't the New Year's Saturday otherwise the transfer traffic would have been horrendous.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy