Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HOCHKÖNIG - Where to stay/ski school?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,
Just trying to plan our second ever ski trip for week beginning 5th March and we have chosen to go to the Hochkonig region, either Dienten, Muhlbach or Maria Alm.

Seeing as none of the normal tour operators really go to these resorts, I am happy to organise the trip myself but would like to see if any snowheads have recommendations on where to stay?

We will probably have a car but we also want to spend 4 days or so at a good ski school again (currently at a level of linking snowplough turns with parallel inbetween on blues so not absolute beginners)

Any advice would be really welcome as it is a minefield of badly translated websites out there!

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look at Nielsen Ski. They have 2 or 3 accomodation choices in Maria Alm if you wanted to use a tour operator. However I would probably recommend having a car if staying in this region. You can then use your ski pass for the local area as well as other areas in the Ski Amade region such as Schladming and the Salzburger Sportwelt. Within Hochkonig the resorts are quite spread out even though they are linked by lifts and busses. But a car would make it much easier to access each of the individual areas at Dienten, Muhlbach and Maria Alm. If i was going to stay there i would probably choose Maria Alm.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you, I have been doing some more research this morning and Maria Alm does seem a good place to stay. I have also found about a ski school there.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
andyzim, I spent the 1st week of January in the region and whilst I am a fairly confident piste skier myself we had a couple of nervous blue run skiers in our group so I hope I can be helpful!

I guess you have seen the piste map? Here is a pretty good one:
http://images.skiresorts-test.com/skigebiete/29/hochkoenig_trail_map_l2.jpg

I wouldn't recommend Dienten as a base - in the morning you either have the choice of an old 2-seater chairlift or a VERY long draglift and both of these serve fairly steep and long red runs. The blue 14a isnt really ideal for practising since it's basically a long cat track that winds its way across the red 14.

We stayed in Muehlbach, which is much more suitable. The blue runs in the area are perfect for practising and building up confidence. Taking the gondola up from the village, you can ski the blue 1 to the base of the next to lifts that continue up the mountain (Kings Cab and Fellersbach lift). This is basically just a connecting piste and any time it gets a bit steeper, they have a kind of "long cut" around the steep bit for more nervous skiers. Anyway, from here you can ski the 1a down to the valley which is PERFECT for practising. Once you master that, you can take the Kings Cab gondola and ski the different variations of the blue 4 which are slightly more difficult than the 1a, so a good progression. You can also take the Fellersbach lift up to the Schneeberg and try entire blue 1. Once you get bored of these blue runs you'll have to move onto a red though!

Maria Alm would also be suitable, the Aberg basically gets steeper as you get to the top, so you can start of skiing the blue 11 (ideal piste, once again) along the 6 seater chairlift, or skiing the blue 10 back to the valley (depending on snow). Once you master that you can go all the way to the top and ski the blue 10 from the top.

In my experience, the snow was better in Muehlbach than Maria Alm, and it was less busy but I dont know if it's always like that. Maria Alm is a bigger town than Muehlbach with a bit more going on (Muehlbach is pretty dead in the evenings) so that might be important to you?

In Muehlbach, this ski school was very good (only the kids in our group used it though):
http://www.sportklaus.at/pages/de_schischule/home.php
Also, I'm not sure if they do English courses, that would be worth checking out. There seems to be a slightly bigger english presence in Maria Alm.

Any more questions, or if you want to see any pics of the area/pistes just let me know!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We stayed at Dienten for a couple of nights a few years ago. The reason we chose it was because it looked like it was in the middle of the area therefore with the best access to the wider range of skiing. In reality though, there were a couple of really long slow lift links at Dienten so it wasn't quite as easy to access everywhere as we thought. Lifts may have been upgraded since then though. Dienten is really very tiny, only a couple of restaurants for eating out, tiny supermarket feels quite isolated IMO, especially in heavy snow when access can be tricky (over a high pass either way). There was also not a lot of English spoken locally, which if it's your first DIY trip, and you need to sort ski hire, lessons etc. it might be slightly harder work. Don't get me wrong, it is a really lovely little village, really 'getting away from it all', I just think it might not be perfect for what you're looking for right now.

We moved aftter a couple of days to Muehlbach which had a bit more going on and still good access to skiing, as well as much easier road access for when we needed to leave. Haven't stayed in Maria Alm but it is getting quite popular and is a sweet little resort. I think if it were me, I would pick Muehlbach or Maria Alm if we were going to do this area again. Muehlbach accesses another higher altitude area at Arthurhaus (can't remember what it's called) which is a lovely quiet little area with very good snow, and I think you would enjoy as there's a nice little circuit that someone of your level could manage but with a great feeling of exploring.

Ether Muehlbach or Maria Alm are easy to get to from Salzburg or Munich airports (although via completely different routes, due to being at opposite ends of the Hochkonig, Maria Alm you access via Saalfelden, Muehlbach via Bischofshofen), and no problems driving, just make sure you have winter tyres.

In Muehlbach, there is a snowHead called djfletcher (website is something like Austrian Family Holidays, English couple Nigel and Debbie and I think 3 kids) who has two apartments to rent. We stayed there for the second part of our trip. They will have good recommendations for ski school, equipment rental (including discount I think) etc. and are in general very helpful so if it's your first DIY ski trip and that kind of guidance would be useful then look them up.

D
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
how are end of season conditions in this area, say end March/1st week April (planning ahead for Easter 2012) - is it simply too low and unreliable?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ooops looks like Nigel and Debbie aren't there anymore, but somebody is operating the same business.

smithski, I would say end of March/early April you will be limited as to where you can ski. There will be skiing (e.g. up at Arthurhaus there is usuall skiing well into April), but you might have to hunt for it. The area is not in general high altitude, but if you stayed in e.g. Muehlbach and had a car and a Ski Amade pass there would be plenty of skiing to be had if you're happy to go snow-hunting.

D
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Deliaskis, thanks.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Deliaskis and Markus thank you for the really in depth guide, it is going to help massively.

I had discounted Dienten after looking at the piste map for the same reasons mentioned.

I can't wait to book it now and get out there Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just a little update to show that the advice was actually helpful. We have booked a room in a B&B in Muhlbach and will be taking lessons from one of the ski schools in that town who I spoke to on the phone this morning and were more than happy to help.

This is the second time (out of two) that I have sorted the entire holiday out myself and I imagine it is much more stressful than just booking a package from a tour operator but I know we will enjoy ourselves immensely Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IMHO piste 1a in Mulbach is the best blue run I have been on.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi The Hochkonig is a great place for a second ever ski or board holiday, plenty of very long blue runs from the very tops of the mountains. I live and work in Maria Alm our website might have some helpful info. We also provide holidays built around your requirements to the Hochkonig region. If you have any questions about the place please ask. we love it!!! http://www.skifix.co.uk
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Deliaskis wrote:
Ooops looks like Nigel and Debbie aren't there anymore, but somebody is operating the same business.

smithski, I would say end of March/early April you will be limited as to where you can ski. There will be skiing (e.g. up at Arthurhaus there is usuall skiing well into April), but you might have to hunt for it. The area is not in general high altitude, but if you stayed in e.g. Muehlbach and had a car and a Ski Amade pass there would be plenty of skiing to be had if you're happy to go snow-hunting.

D

This is the English family that have taken over. Am sure they have been on here and seemed very nice. http://www.hauswasserbauer.com/?doing_wp_cron
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Leg end, yep - they are here under the user ID Haus Wasserbauer and reported throughout last season. Always seemed pretty prompt to any enquiries about the area and not at all pushy about their own product.

This is an old post

The bump came from someone who has joined as a means of promoting their services I presume.

skifix.co.uk, you need to put a link to snowHeads on your web site - talk (via PM) to Admin to see how it is done - otherwise your link may be disabled which would be a shame as your web site looks interesting.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skifix.co.uk = http://www.hauswasserbauer.com
snow report
Hi Thanks for the info Samerberg Sue I'm relatively new to snow heads and would love to get involved with regular reports. I'll message the Admin to see how I reciprocate with a link. We're actually not part of Haus Wasser Bauer we operate from the other end of the region in Maria Alm.

Very Happy
Quote:

skifix.co.uk, you need to put a link to snowHeads on your web site - talk (via PM) to Admin to see how it is done - otherwise your link may be disabled which would be a shame as your web site looks interesting.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy