Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Folgarida in December?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello

I have booked flights to Verona for a weeks skiing 10th-17th December.

I am now trying to figure out where to go and I am considering Folgarida (especially as they are offering free ski passes for that week!). Do you think this resort is high enough for an early season trip?
If not, do you have any suggestions as to where to go in Italy at that time in the season?

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know, but I'd like a definitive view of how to pronounce Folgarida. Where does the stress fall?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hi
you could try passo tonale, not as pretty as folgarida but definately high and probably more snow sure for that time of year......and its closer to verona.....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ses I'm sure Waynewill be along in a minute.

I'm struggling to decide whether free lift passes means they are confident there will be snow and they are just trying to kick start their season or that there will be so little snow that you'll only be able to use the two lifts that are open so it makes no great cost for the lift company. With no knowledge at all (and thus opinion to be taken with same health warning) I would suggest the latter.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, it's fol-GAR-i-da
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nbt, grazie.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Are they not within driving distance of each other, half an hour or so? Stay at Folgarida with free pass, if worse case scenario and no snow drive to Passo Tonale and buy a pass at least you will have skied. Back to Folgarida for apres, which will be quiet that time of year anyway. This is probably a really bad idea and somebody will point that out shortly. Hey Ho.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Passo is about an hour and a half on the bus IIRC. Last season Folgarida-Marilleva-M di C seemed, as an area to have a much better and consistent snowfall/covering than many other places in Europe. I was there in early Jan and it was outstanding. By season end, the webcams still looked amazing.

I'm sure Wayne will be along to provide a better historic and early season view.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cbowls30 wrote:
its closer to verona.....

You drive past the Folgarida turn (in Dimaro) to get (about 45 mins later) to passo

pam w wrote:
I'd like a definitive view of how to pronounce Folgarida. Where does the stress fall?

Fol - gaar -rida
(fol as in follow - gar as garage - rid as in riddle - a as in ascent)
With a few exceptions (which still baffle to hell out of me) most Italian word the stress is on the second to last syllable
Sp the stress is on gaar

ses wrote:
do you have any suggestions as to where to go in Italy at that time in the season?

Not a clue - never been before end of December, sorry.
If it was me I'd stay down in the valley (holiday inn Dimaro would be OK), then get the super ski Dolomiti pass and ski where ever the snow is good - we have up to 3,000m+ so somewhere will be good.

ooops Holiday in ain't called that any more
Here's the link ayway http://www.alpholiday.it/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi All,

Thanks for your advice (and the extra bonus of learning how to say Folgarida!).

I think we're going to go ahead and stay in Folgarida and just drive to other resorts if the snow isn't great. The free ski pass covers the whole area so we should find something...I'll report back on our return
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi,

Italy is cheap pre Xmas because the Italians ski on the weekend of 8th December (holiday for patron Saint of Milan) then not usually en masse until Boxing Day onwards. Only thing to mention is that you can ski into Madonna di Campiglio from Folgarida but only if you have the right pass (is your free ski pass really for the whole area? sounds too good to be true). It would be a shame if not as Madonna is stunning and the skiing is great.

Passo Tonale has a glacier for guaranteed skiing and fairly new link to Ponte di Legno so it's not a bad call for a pre Xmas trip.

Other suggestions from Verona would be anywhere in the Dolomites proper (not the Brenta Dolomites of Passo Tonale/Folgarida etc).

Good luck whatever you go with.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy