Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Europes best night life resorts??

Poster: A snowHead
Which European Skiing resorts provides the best nightlife, with bars, nightclubs and live music events etc.
Plus which ones are the most popular with british tourists?

Thanks for your time

Rob
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob malik, welcome to SnowHeads snowHead

Why are you asking Puzzled
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob malik, hello and welcome!

I think this really depends on your budget / age.

One persons 'best nightlife' is another's 'flea infested hell hole full of half naked Antipodeans drunk on bootleg vodka and VBs'
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree, best nightlife o had was Andorra, and they is so not hot
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree, best nightlife o had was Andorra, and they is so not hot
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
!Oops!
Clearly the best nightlife I have ever had is a cousins wedding and far far you much booze. Except we discussed a 2013 ski trip for extended family which fits with the snowheads brief.30 + people Omg oap and bin skiers, pregnant women and babies etc. I will be into you in 6 months!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well we are low 20's looking for a cheap skiing week in January time. We are not too advanced with skiing, so not too fused about the slopes.

Have read abit about: Saalbach, Solden and Les Deuc Alpes.... any feedback?

cheers
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob malik, much better info!

I'd guess Austria is a good bet.

At a similar age I have had a great time in Mayerhofen and Kirkberg- where the nightlife did consist of 'flea infested hell holes full of half naked Antipodeans drunk on bootleg vodka and VBs'. Although I didn't find the Austrians at that time too friendly.

Obviously its all in the eye of the beholder.

Some would rave about the night life in Verbier- ( I have never been - it is supposed to be amazing- but very expensive- if you are in your early 20s this is only an option if you have just started working for Goldman Sacs or have a trust fund / recent Euromillions win).

Generally speaking France is quite expensive- ie £8 a pint normal and Switzerland is very expensive. Austria and Italy less so, Andorra a bit less again.

Lots of after skiing drinking / dancing in Austria if that is what you are after.

Val D'Isere is popular for nightlife with a particular type of young Brit- London or the Home Counties, Jack Wills etc with enough money. The skiing is bloody great.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
O/T, but I really must go into the Jack Wills shop in my road one of these days (I've lived here for some time, but have never been inside it) to find out why it merits several mentions on sHeads. I've never knowingly seen anyone kitted out in Jack Wills clothes - what's special about them? /O/T
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No one has mentioned Morzine so I'm gonna jump in here!

First things first, a pint is about 5 euros, a glass of wine around 3.50 euros, so cheaper than the likes of Chamonix and Val D'Isere.

Next up - Apres. Morzine hasn't had an apres scene EVER until this winter when some clever folk started Apres Wednesdays on the smart new terrace at Le Tremplin, right at the bottom of the Pleney homerun in to Morzine. From 4pm DJ's play nice chilled tunes before everything gets a bit messy with some dirty D&B towards the end of the night. It's a really cool venue, not pretentious at all, centrally located, inexpensive and has a really good local / seasonaire / holiday maker mix. Expect to see your ESF instructor knocking back shots and dancing on tables in their ski boots.

After Le Tremplin the party usually rolls on to the Cavern or the Crepu, depending on how ruined you want to be by the end of the night (Cavern for dancing and total ruination, Crepu for more pub drinking).

Le Opera looms for those who still have it in them.

Does anyone know much about the apres scene in Les Gets?

Amie
www.yodelmagazine.com
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pedantica wrote:
O/T, but I really must go into the Jack Wills shop in my road one of these days (I've lived here for some time, but have never been inside it) to find out why it merits several mentions on sHeads. I've never knowingly seen anyone kitted out in Jack Wills clothes - what's special about them? /O/T

God knows - my God-daughter is 15, lives in York and had a phase of loving Jack Wills. I went in there with her one day - the shop is almost completely dark (no idea how anyone can properly see what they are paying WAY over the odds for) noisy and full of teenagers wearing big floppy-crowned beanies and their jeans half way down their backsides. She picked up a plaid 'skirt' which was about 8" long, looked like a frilly pelmet and cost £85 Shocked

Thankfully, she has now gone off the stuff/seen sense and has pronounced it 'chavvy'.....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pedantica, JW is ordinary clothing which is the unofficial uniform of public school and well-bred home county types in the teen- early 20s age group - think hoodies, t shirts etc. When they grow up they'll probably be into Boden or similar.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anniepen,
Quote:

a plaid 'skirt' which was about 8" long, looked like a frilly pelmet and cost £85

Laughing Laughing Laughing

fatbob, thanks. Boden clothes can at least be identified easily on sight, but I infer from Anniepen's post and yours, that JW stuff can only be identified by its price tag and its label!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
YodelMagazine, one evening a week does not match the all day, everyday scene in other resorts. The Mooserwirt in St Anton is not everyone's cup of tea but you do not have to get legless at 4 o'clock in the afternoon to enjoy the atmosphere. I think everyone should visit at least once in their skiing lives, if nothing else to experience the skiing in St Anton.

rob malik, it is horses for courses. The most important factor to me is the company I am with, being Billy No-Mates can still be as miserable as sin even in the liveliest resort. What is it you are looking for, good food, fine wines and elegence or down and dirty "Benidorm" on snow?

In general, regardless of individual likes or dislikes, Austria is considered to have the best Apres Ski venues, with resports like St Anton,Mayrhofen and Saalbach-Hinterglemm being sold as party towns.

wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you read through these you may get some idea. With the Swiss franc so pricey these days, I would avoid Switzerland unless you have very deep pockets.

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76751&highlight=
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76757&highlight=
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76763&highlight=
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76765&highlight=

Andorra, Italy, Bulgaria, Romania, all offer good value even with the Euro at the level it is at.

rolling eyes
latest report
For good but cheap apres/nightlife Saalbach Hinterglemm is quite hard to beat. St Anton has better apres (probably the best in the Alps?) and Ischgl has better late night nightlife (probably the best in the Alps?) - it has a Pacha club for instance, but both are more expensive. Skiing-wise it sounds like Saalbach would be better for you too.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 14-08-11 17:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Bigtipper,
Quote:
Andorra, Italy, Bulgaria, Romania, all offer good value even with the Euro at the level it is at.
are you insane? The original poster was asking about GOOD Apres life!

They want to party, the skiing is not the criteria they seem to be setting! rolling eyes
snow report
rob malik wrote:
Well we are low 20's looking for a cheap skiing week in January time. We are not too advanced with skiing, so not too fused about the slopes.

Have read abit about: Saalbach, Solden and Les Deuc Alpes.... any feedback?

cheers

Depends whether you mind a bit of Europop or whether you want nightlife a bit more like the UK.

Les Deux Alpes and Val Thorens are the best places in France I've been for nightlife. Val D'Isere as well, although that isn't cheap, although neither is Val Thorens when you consider the price of drinks. You'll come across more bars full of Brits there as well.

However for apres and nightlife Austria is much better in my opinion. But then I like a cheesy sing-a-long in German. Saalbach and Hinterglemm are both great for what you are after and most of the slopes are quite mellow, so probably ideal for your party. Solden is similar, but you need to be careful about accommodation. You want to be close the Giggijochbahn as that's where most of the bars and nightlife is. Some of the cheaper accommodation can be quite a walk from there. Solden is quite spread out, whereas Saalbach and Hinterglemm are more compact so you're not much of a walk from anywhere.
ski holidays
Maybe we need to start a sister site.

www.pissheads.com
snow report
Europe has peaked as a partytown.

Verbier is the best of what's left.

Austria is full of old people getting overexcited by old music.
latest report
Whitegold, I would guess you were not in Ischgl at the end of April for the end of season concert when the KILLERS were in town - that was not old music. I have this image of you watching the Royal Weddiing that week end - you are such a t$t.
snow conditions
Quote:

Europe has peaked as a partytown.

FFS.
snow conditions
+1 for Saalbach Hinterglemm. Great fun and not too pricey
latest report
snowbandit wrote:
Whitegold, I would guess you were not in Ischgl at the end of April for the end of season concert when the KILLERS were in town - that was not old music.

Luckily, I did not make it.

Not into Dad Rock.
snow report
snowbandit, Don't feed the Troll wink
snow conditions
Andorra. Pas de la casa. Pas de la casa. Pas de la casa. Hungover skiing . No trees. Cheap booze. Lots of pubs/clubs that don't seem to care/measure shorts.Described once as tacky Ibiza on snow - forget skiing snobs - just go enjoy yourselves! Cool
latest report
Hey, mate, welcome to snowHead

Stick around, you'll fit right in.
ski holidays
Never been to Saalbach (well not in Winter) so can't comment on apres. My vote's for Mayrhofen as a great combo of skiing and apres. I've always thought of it a cheaper alternative to St Anton. But you do have to do St Anton at some point, there are few better bars than the Mooserwirt for apres. And no, you don't need to be trollied at 4pm, but somehow in there it always happens. It's a mystery Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob malik, Chamonix, Verbier and Val d'Isere http://www.facebook.com/dicksteabarvaldisere -Jake Hall & band played there quite a bit last season -awesome musicians.
snow conditions
Try Les Deux Alpes!
ski holidays
rob malik, I would echo clarky999, 's comments. Saalbach is probably best suited to your skiing abilities just now. St Anton is ace and plenty of great live music venues as well as the cheesy apres music venues too. The Austrians really know how to party
snow report
rob malik, I would stick in a vote for Val, you've got Folie in the afternoon which is awesome, then loads to go at in town from live bands to clubs, it doesn't have to be too expensive - no more than the UK if you follow the deals and happy hours.
http://youtube.com/v/3Yzm4N2Ep1E great ski down from Folie after this Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

Morzine hasn't had an apres scene EVER until this winter

Not true.

From about 87-88 until IIRC 92-93 (the bar lasted a while after then but was never quite the same) Morzine proudly boasted "Les Ruttenets", or as commonly known, "Sheepshaggers" (Shaggers for short), the name coined by a ski rep called George who, when asked who drank in there replied something like, "Only me and a couple of old sheep..., etc."

In its heyday the landlord, Raymond, used to keep us entertained with, amongst other things, plastic tubes attached to the beer taps for drinking competitions and, errr, tear gas (only once).

Boudda bar tried to take over ~98-2003 but never really got there (excellent for a straight from the last_flight_from_Heathrow couple of pints).

So there.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy