Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner Resort in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
I'm after suggestions of beginner resorts in Austria.

My Dad at 65 went for ski lessons this year and he's hooked! Only a matter of time before be becomes a snowHead IMO!! Toofy Grin Anyway, he learnt with us in Gastein which isn't that great for beginners - the nursery slope was no problem for him but he didn't enjoy skiing the blues on the mountain, most are roads. He's asked me to find him a beginner resort that he can go to next year in Austria. I think my Mum would also give it a go.

So, any recommendations? I leant to ski in Hoch Oetz which was ok but quite small. That said, he wouldn't need a huge area, maybe small would be better. He would want it to be picture postcard Austria. I've heard Obertauern is good?

Thanks
Kersh
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kaprun
Excellent mountain in the town centre - Maiskogel
The Glacier at Kizsteinhorn
And then Zell 10 mins away on the bus for when he gets a bit of confidence

Go in Jan or Feb - ni March the Village is a little low

1 hour from Salzburg
Some excellent restaurants in town and on the hills
Good apres-ski / oompah bars
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kersh,
Obertauern is good but not really picture postcard(Not the cheapest either) It also gets ite fair share of bad weather sitting on the pass( but this is why it has a good snow record)

Galtur is areally attractive smallish area with excellent blue runs as well as some more advanced stuff. If going a little later in the season it holds its snow well. If going early in the season it may be a little cold as it is highish north facing and at the head of the valley. Never been busy on my visits at high season.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saalbach would be a good option, the Kohlmais area is great for beginners, and it's a nice lively fairly pretty town (the main street at least).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
T Bar, Exactly what I thought! Def not picture postcard! Kitzbuhel, would be a good choice!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hi go to obertauern cant go wrong end of febuary would be ideal kuhtia would be my second option
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kitzbuhel didn't feel like a beginner resort where I learnt to ski. Nursery slopes really tuff
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kersh, we learnt in Obergurgl and went back for a few years afterwards. The slopes are all easily accessible from the village and a lot of blues to progress to in Hochgurgl. Found the ski school really good. Nice, comfortable hotels and small village.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kersh, - take a look at Alpbach - very nice village and a very well rated ski school. Great for beginners.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
matt23, The right instruction helps! Kitzbuhel will have something for everyone, it is also a beautiful little town that was a requirement for the op!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the responses, please keep them coming. I'm slowly amassing info on all the suggestions at the moment. Couple of q's:

Roy Hockley, i've never been to Kitzbuhel but I imagine that it's quite a busy place being so well known? If it is, does that take away from the picture postcard setting i'm after?

snowbandit, Alpback looks good but not loads of blues on the map, any more info? Certainly going to be picture postcard by the looks of it.

nicathy, keeping an eye on Obergurgl but Hochgurgl seams to be almost completely blue above the first part of the Hochgurglbahn. What about just heading straight to Hochgurgl rather than Obergurgl?

clarky999, i've heard a lot about Saalbach Hinterglemm. Been there in the summer and on my list of places to ski. Are beginners better in Hinterglemm other than Saalbach? Looks like better access to blue on the piste map.

My Dad will need ski school too so any additional comments about how good they are in each resort is great.

Cheers everyone
Kersh
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kersh, No, it is IMO one of the pretiest towns. Most resorts have enough gentle runs for beginners and early intermediates, wherever you chose I am sure your family will have a blast! If by picture postcard you want a place that not many people go to I would look at one of the smaller skiamade areas! You could send SammerbergSue a PM she is always helpful!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Roy Hockley, thanks. You're right, most places do have some blues but it's not so easy to judge sometimes if the blue are roads. My Dad is pretty timid but would be happy with wide blues with plenty of space to turn. I know if he goes to the wrong place, he'll throw the towel in. If he loves it, he'll be back for more. That's why I started the thread to get opinion of snowheads who've been to resorts and know what they're like.

I've got some of the smaller towns in Amade on my radar - I know that neck of the woods fairly well. wink

Cheers
Kersh
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kersh, send him here to Altenmarkt/Flachau, I will ski with him, my dad learnt here, he was 65 too!! Flachau is super easy, he will love it. PM me any time, always good to get the parents out skiing!! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kersh,
Quote:

with wide blues with plenty of space to turn

I think Flachau probably has the widest pistes in Skiamade, anyone else care to correct me?
ski holidays
Kersh, Flachau is great or Wagrain (nice village as well) or St Johann-Alpendorf. All of these would more than fit your bill of needs.

As for the Ski School - for me there is only the one - Skischule Rot-Weiß-Rot. They have bases at St Jo and Wagrain. Their nursery slopes are separate from the main slopes and served by their own drag lifts. The Wagrain/St Jo set ups are almost exclusively chairs and gondolas so he can off load from the mountain by those if he wishes to. ALL the instructors at Rot-Weiß-Rot speak excellent English (I would say that wouldn't I wink )

Gerhard Sint, one of the two owners, is the Chairman of the Salzburger Ski Instructors Association and a National Examiner. Any instructor who does not have clients during a week is usually spending part of their free time in training. This is one of the reasons the ski school is able to give a guarantee that you will improve or you get your money back.

kooky, I agree with you about the widest slopes being at Flachau, but they are still very intimidating to look down for beginners/nervous 2ndor 3rd weekers. Plus they can be horribly busy as you well know! Toofy Grin
snow report
Kersh wrote:

clarky999, i've heard a lot about Saalbach Hinterglemm. Been there in the summer and on my list of places to ski. Are beginners better in Hinterglemm other than Saalbach? Looks like better access to blue on the piste map.

My Dad will need ski school too so any additional comments about how good they are in each resort is great.

Cheers everyone
Kersh

I'd say Saalbach tbh. From Saalbach there are three main areas of uplift, Schatterberg, Bernkogel and Kohlmais. Schattberg and Berngogel link into the Hinterglemm areas, where there is plenty of nice skiing, but IMO Kohlmais is one of the best areas for learners in Austria - the whole section is basically a range of blues in varying difficulty so progression is very easy.

I work for Fuerstauer Ski School a couple of weeks a year, so I'm biased, but they do have some great instructors - Frazer is an English guy who's worked in Saalbach for 20+ years, although whoever you get will be very good. If you already know Saalbach you probably know where the school is - go down the main street, turn right over the bridge, and it's there on the right.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 3-04-11 14:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
kooky wrote:
Kersh,
Quote:

with wide blues with plenty of space to turn

I think Flachau probably has the widest pistes in Skiamade, anyone else care to correct me?

How about the now wider mitterhaus at planai, 250m wide, http://www.planai.at/winter/en/planai_news/News.html?viewPageDetails_ID=11658. Personally I think wider slopes with rollers just encourages skiers to go too fast and creates more risk, me being one of them.
ski holidays
Kersh, Embarassed sorry! Just saw your sig!
latest report
Kersh, recommended Obergurgl rather than Hochgurgl as it is more of a village (albeit small). Whereas Hochgurgl is just a collection of hotels. Easy to get between the two tho and the Obergurgl ski school ( which we had good experiences with) do take beginner groups to the Hochgurgl area.
snow report
sorry noob alert!...

Samerbuerg Sue... you said "
ALL the instructors at Rot-Weiß-Rot speak excellent English (I would say that wouldn't I )"

I'm guessing you are an instructor here? Just wondering how many instructors use this site as it would be really handy to know a few in different areas around the alps.
snow conditions
Ric, no I'm a teacher of English (TEFL/TESOL). I used to work for them as an instructor, but way back.

I have had many, many beginner and intermediate groups taught by the Rot-Weiß-Rot ski school and never once had anyone fail to improve. The youngest beginner I ever taught was 75 or 76 years old and he ended up skiing all over the mountain by the end of his first week because the progression was so good. Many of the longer runs have alternative routes that by-pass more intimidating sections.

Toofy Grin
snow report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
The youngest beginner I ever taught was 75 or 76 years old and he ended up skiing all over the mountain by the end of his first week because the progression was so good.

How old was the oldest Shocked
snow conditions
clarky999, Embarassed Embarassed I meant oldest! Mea Culpa rolling eyes
latest report
Samerberg Sue, 75 to 76, thats impressive!!!
snow report
wink
ski holidays
Shown all the info to my Dad and it looks like he'll head to Wagrain. He says to thank you all for the advice. He says if they can get 75 year olds down the mountain, he stands a chance. Toofy Grin He's already been on the Rot-Weiß-Rot website.

Anyone recommend some accommodation in Wagrain?

Cheers
Kersh
latest report
Kersh, Does he want hotel/Gasthof or self-catering?

I can look up some info or I can ask Siegi Kreidenhuber (the second owner of the Rot-Weiß-Rot and also a National Examiner). He runs the Wagrain end of things. You can also use Sportset or whatever it's called to book skis, etc and pick it up from the ski school.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue, he'll probably prefer a s/c apartment within fairly easy reach of the ski school. I think he's looking at Jan. If you know someone, that would be great.

cheers
snow report
Kersh, OK I'll start talking to my contacts. There are a couple of Brits there with rental properties as well as a very active rental market.

I'll get back to you with some details when I have them. January is a good month as you well know, especially anytime after 6th January when the Austrian and Bavarian holidays end.

Sue

wink
snow report
Samerberg Sue, thanks.
snow report
You can try the see ski school. See is a region situated close to Ischgl. It is rather quite and has great slopes for beginners of all ages. Normally all ski instructors are very good skiers and also certified instructors.
Here you can find more information about the SEE Ski School
http://www.see.at/ski-school-tyrol.en.htm
snow report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Kersh, Flachau is great or Wagrain (nice village as well) or St Johann-Alpendorf. All of these would more than fit your bill of needs.

kooky, I agree with you about the widest slopes being at Flachau, but they are still very intimidating to look down for beginners/nervous 2ndor 3rd weekers. Plus they can be horribly busy as you well know! Toofy Grin

So one person thinks that the slopes in Flachau are super easy and another says that the slopes are "very intimidating to look down for beginners/nervous 2nd or 3rd weekers". Can anyone clarify whether they are easy or not as there seems to be some disagreement? And if they are not easy then where else would you suggest in the area rather than Flachau?
snow conditions
Rohrmoos has a huge, flat beginner area. Intimidating in that one wonders if one can ski without poling..... but you can Smile
snow report
jimmybog, the ski kindergarten / kids ski school area at Flachau is in a great place it is at the top of the Achter Jet 8 man gondola and is in the 'heart' of Flachau.

The majority of adult and other learning is done on the valley nursery slopes.
This area (like most others in Austria) is well placed and an excellent run to learn on.

flachau as a mountain has a rather limited blue runs.
The mainblue goes from top(ish) to 2/3rds down. It is basically the summer road and zig zags itself down the mountain.
At tmies you have to cross the red pistes or can go down the easier bits... this is 'ntimidating to look down for beginners/nervous 2ndor 3rd weekers. Plus they can be horribly busy'

The main runs are not 'super-easy' although I am not sure who wrote that.

But as Flachau is such an established and popular area they obviously do something right!

Personally I think there are much better places to learn within Ski Amadé, I especially like the Graffenberg side of Wagrain, but there are tons more too.
snow report
If you want to ski Obertauern but stay somewhere pretty, I can heartily recommend Mauterndorf. We went there a couple of years back. Here's my review:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=64231

I didn't actually cover Obertauern in this review as other people have done that numerous times, so I didn't have much to add. But since where on subject, here are the pros and cons of Obertauern, as seen by me:

Pros: Excellent lift system, very snowsure, well organised, good cross country, unthreatening pistes
Cons: Not chocalate box pretty (although in fairness it could be much worse), very crowded, very commercial, short runs.

It should be noted that I only spent one day there, midweek in mid march. It was very sunny, so it may have been more crowded than usual. As a fan of deathly quiet, folksy ski resorts it wasn't my cup of tea at all, but Mauterndorf was. Fanninberg would be especially pleasing to your father, I should think. Obertauern is accessible by frequent buses, free with the Lungo pass.
snow report
The questions raised here about "progression", the nastiness - for beginners - of pistes which are basically roads and how intimidating it can be to look a long way down something which inevitably looks a bit steep from the top, are all very good ones. Interesting too that even with well informed people, it's hard to agree on what's good for nervous beginners. Even in my local area, which I know well, I've learnt to be wary of reactions from very nervous skiers - who go from bad to worse, once "freaked out".

But the key, surely, is the ski school? Plenty of time, nobody rushing you, an instructor who can empathize with the nerves etc etc And not going on to do too much out of lessons - certainly not going to any slopes not already done with the instructor.

Crowds are horrible for nervous beginners. As is bad weather, especially poor visibility. Can't do much about that, but always worth identifying where - and when - the slopes are likely to be quietest.

My brother in law was freaked out by one of the nursery slope drags (up the mountain somewhere) in Alpbach. the run itself was fine, but on the other side of the drag the land fell away a bit, and he tends to get vertigo. Most people would have found it an unthreatening lift, but he hated it. He still talks about it with a little shudder (though he loved the village itself) and it was 14 years ago! He was in ski school (an English instructor, IIRC).
snow report
Kersh, Frosty the Snowman has booked some apartments at Cafe Hubertus, just down the road from the ski school and Graffenberg lift system. I had a look at them on the web site and they look really good. Why not contact him for details?

jimmybog, I agree with flangesax there are many places where you can learn in much more comfort than Flachau. The Flachau learner areas are excellent but the thought of just crossing a red piste, even on a flattened roadway can be very intimidating to some beginners and that experience can colour their views of whether our wonderful sport is the right one for them.

pam w, of course the ski schools are important, but also the people with the beginners need to be aware that not everyone progresses at the same speed. That is why using local ski instructors who know the mountains like the back of their hands is so important. Many nursery areas are well removed from the main drag but it is the stupidity of so-called "skiers" that can make the transition from safe nursery slopes to easy trails a nightmare. We have a classic example of the stupidity of so-called skiers being stupid last year from flangesax's visitors book: a new skier took a couple of lessons and then got bamboozled into skiing a red by his mates. He spent 3 weeks in Schladming Hospital as a result (spiral fracture of the tibia) but is coming back next season to ski here again BUT with the ski school on a one-to-one basis. And not with his so-called mates either!
snow report
Kersh, How about Rauris,about 20mins from Zell am See- packages available from Crystal, Ski school excellent (Ski shule Karl Maier) run by son Harry, check out their website.For hotels you wont do better than the Rauriserhof if you can afford it but the Alpina,Grimming and Kristal in that order are quite good too-all 2 mins on the ski bus to the slopes.
snow report
Quote:

the people with the beginners need to be aware that not everyone progresses at the same speed

absolutely. There's a lot of bravado-speak "I taught my mate/gf/wife/corgi and they were doing black runs with their eyes closed by the end of the week". Other people will be nervous of anything other than very easy, very wide, runs for years and years. It seems that in other sports this huge variation is taken for granted - some people can sail high performance dinghies in their first season, others get nervous in a Mirror dinghy after 10 years.

It's sooooooooooooooo annoying to see the way people nag their mates/SOs to do harder runs, which are beyond them. And they often injure people other than themselves. Twisted Evil

that's also why I counsel caution about any skiing outside lessons, with very nervous and/or elderly and unfit beginners.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy