Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendation for December Trip

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
can anyone recommend a decent resort for intermediates (skiier and snowboarder) in December? We'd be looking at going sometime after 10th December, before Christmas. I realise it's very early in the season but I'm sure there's some good snow to be found (Meribel 12th December 2010 was brilliant!).

Having done a few French resorts I quite fancy Austria or somewhere like that - I just think it would be a bit more 'Christmassy' for some reason. Plus I fancy the thought of some spa treatments and suchlike - rather than heavy apres-ski. We'd be looking at a hotel, rather than a chalet or apartment holiday.

We'd ideally be flying out from the West Midlands, and our budget would be around £1k each all in (board, food, flights, lift passes, transfers), so £2k Smile

Any help appreciated Smile We aren't after instruction, and have got our own kit, both happy to do any sort of runs, but mainly like reds and cruisey blues.

Cheers,
Emm.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Emm

Quote:
rather than heavy apres-ski

Isn't that what the Austrian resorts are famous for Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ischgl should be a good bet for snow. I doubt the usual apres would be in full flow by that point of the season, but if it is, you never know, you might enjoy it!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You could also consider the Sport Hotel in Neustift if you're really keen on the spa stuff, they have a truly excellent wellness area. You'd have guaranteed snow up on the Stubai glacier too, which the hotel will shuttle you to/from for free. Great food too, and Neustift is a nice quiet village, although there are a couple of bars if you do fancy going out for a beer.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers for responses so far Smile

anarchicsaltire - Hey, hope all good with you Smile To be honest I don't know a lot about Austria and apres ski, but thinking about it you're probably right!
Got to try and avoid the alcohol though, see my other thread about skiing at altitude.... Sad Mind you, to be fair I can still go out and party but not drink Very Happy

clarky999 - Had a quick look at Ischgl, a friend of mine has been and raved about it. Was only looking for about 5 mins or so, but nothing was coming up for the main TO's. We could do flights and hotels etc seperately, but only if it's not a major pain in the backside to sort transfers. I'll have a look at Neustift too, sounds good Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry, meant to say sleeping at altitute, not skiing! Confused
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Emmeline, both Ischgl and Neustift are easily reachable from Innsbruck or Munich, Ischgl presumably could be reached by train from Zurich too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Emmeline, Inghams and Crystal have done Ischgl. Not sure whether they would do it so early in season. Ischgl itself opens at the end of November. Am sure you could arrange transfers easily enough from Innsbruck.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Emmeline, Have a look at Sölden - it's in one or two TO brochures and is super easy to get to if you are travelling independently. Hotels like Tirolerhof, Regina, Valentin, Alphof Sölden, Central Spa, all spring to mind with the facilities you want. Pre-season and without the influx of Brits Dutch and Swedes the main season brings it can be a wee bit quiet, but there is enough Austrian Apres-Ski if you are not into the full hard-core Mooserwirt style of St Anton. I have to admit to enjoying watching the antics in St Anton but not every night and I never take part in the true sense of getting hammered and doing silly stuff. But the atmosphere is always good fun.

You have 2 glacier skiing areas available in Sölden and the resort may well be fully open by then - it was more or less when I was there in the same week in 2009. The Tiefenbach Glacier area is a great intermediate area and the Rettenbach has a very steep black used for the opening World Cup races at the end of each October. It also has some fun runs for mere mortals as well. As for the rest of the area it is full of long cruising runs and is to be honest an intermediates paradise.

Take a look at the website for the area: http://www.soelden.com/main/EN/SD/WI/index.html and see what is on offer.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Emmeline, You could consider Livigno in Italy . Not a massive ski area but mainly reds and blues. Usually has good early season snow and not too expensive. I would recommend Hotel Le Alpi where we stayed a couple of years ago, really good and you can ski virtually to and from the back door. The owner ,Mauro, is a good bloke and may be able to recommend someone to do your transfer - it' s a long one but worth it!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Emmeline, Personal opinion is that it is always worth waiting and seeing where the snow is this early in the season, some places may have tons and others be bereft of the white stuff.
If not Lech is a pretty decent bet for early season snow and is a lovely place with plenty of the skiing you describe.

On the Ischgl front it is pretty easy to get trains to Landeck from Zurich, quite a lot of the hotels will arrage a pick up from there I believe(We were offered it), if not thre are busses up the valley.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999 - unfortunately the Sport Hotel hasn't got anything for the week/s I want. Not having much luck with flights to Innsbruck but can get to Munich easily enough. Guess I should have a look at Zurich too as both you and T Bar have recommended trains from there. Not sure what it would be like with luggage though!

nozawaonsen - cheers - Crystal didn't have anything for those weeks, and the Inghams search wasn't working, so I didn't get far. I can't get to Innsbruck easily Sad
Thanks for the info re: Ischgl though - might have a quick look for November flights, but to be honest not much is coming up with anyone before 17th December.

Samerberg Sue - thanks for the advice re: Solden, sounds really good. Not sure if I can get there though. Innsbruck is looking tricky, and people have said it's quite a distance to there from Munich, which is looking like the only place I can get to from the Midlands at that time of year. Any ideas on how else we could get there at all?

RUGBY PETER - thanks for the advice. I can get to Milan from Birmingham or Manchester cheap, but Hotel Le Alpi is booked up. There's some other hotels, but it's all looking a bit pricey, considering I'd have to sort out transfers seperately. I think the transfer bit is what always puts me off booking everything up myself to be honest Sad

T Bar - yeah, you've probably got a point there, I should just book the time off and sort something just before we go - I like planning ahead though, hehe! Very Happy

Right- I'll have a quick look at flights to Zurich, then I think I'll have to call it a day - my brain is fried, haha! Very Happy

Cheers all.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Emmeline, Austria seems to tick all the boxes. If i were you however I would wait until next November/Early Dec before booking just to make sure you will have some snow, plus there are usually a few bargains around if you can keep your nerve.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've had a look at Zurich flights and can get some very cheap ones from Manchester, BUT they're Sunday flights and the trains from there to Landeck are not looking good for a Sunday, especially as we don't get to Zurich til 8pm. I could wait until nearer the time, but if there's no package deals around now, and the cheap flights are likely to all sell out (not to mention accommodation) then I don't think I'll get anything. I think I just want too much too early in the season, so I'll probably just end up in France! Haha!

Suppose I'll look more into transfers from Munich to anywhere that looks good nearby Very Happy Or maybe Zurich, what's near there? Sorry, bit clueless as you can probably tell!

Cheers again.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Emmeline wrote:
Crystal didn't have anything for those weeks, and the Inghams search wasn't working, so I didn't get far.

Ski Total are kicking off their chalet-hotel season on the 16th December ... http://www.skitotal.com/accommodationdetails.aspx?accomId=2032

I never even looked for its 'Wellness' area with traditional sauna, infrared sauna, steam room and relaxation area but can confirm that 2 weeks ago, its 5-course dinners with a choice of menu including, apéritif, choice of complimentary quality wines, coffee and chocolates were a lot better than any week of meals at catered chalets I've previously stayed in.
latest report
Pretty easy to get to Arlberg or Ischgl in a hire car from Zurich I'd have thought ?
snow report
moffatross - hiya, thanks for the info. Does look really nice, and the dates are ok (as in I'll be back before Xmas Eve). Might be doable depending on how much they charge for taking kit on the plane, and how much lunches are etc. It's nearly £2k already you see, and we'd have to get up to Manchester.... something to think about Smile

Have found some little resorts near Zurich (within 1 hours drive) where they've got number of runs. Not sure how close the hotels are to the slopes though, confusing!

Haha, might just say 'sod it' and drive up to Aviemore again Smile Nice hotels and facilities, even if the terrain and conditions up the mountain are somewhat 'challenging'.... Wink
snow report
MattWild - cheers Smile Could look at car hire, not sure of costs. The flights to Zurich are under £100 for the 2, so it's very appealing, but not if car hire is too expensive.
snow conditions
Emmeline,
Aviemore in december is more than a little risky for skiing.
Near Zurich Flims has a really good variety of skiing with a small glacier as well. Lech is closer than Ischgl though not that close for a late arrival.
ski holidays
Hinterglemm
ski holidays
T Bar - thanks again, have put a quotation request in for some accommodation/transfers etc in Flims Very Happy Aviemore was risky in February, zero visibility - fun though!

Smokin Joe - looks very nice, can't get out there til 23rd though, too late! Sad
latest report
Emmeline wrote:
moffatrossIt's nearly £2k already you see

Don't book now. Start looking in earnest towards the end of November, suss out where the snow isn't & select out areas on that basis. Early December isn't too popular anyway so the likelihood is there'll be space for 2 almost everywhere you look but the asking price will have significantly reduced by then.
latest report
moffatross - coolio, will hang on then. Unless the people looking at my Flims enquiry come up trumps I'll hold fire. Good to know there's some package deals out there which would get me back Christmas Eve. Had a bit of trouble getting back from L2A in March (some of the people on the same holiday couldn't get back the day they were meant to), and I wouldn't want to be stuck in an airport on Christmas Day if things went wrong Very Happy Don't really fancy travelling Christmas Eve anyway, like to chill out Smile
snow report
moffatross wrote:
Emmeline wrote:

Don't book now. Start looking in earnest towards the end of November, suss out where the snow isn't & select out areas on that basis. Early December isn't too popular anyway so the likelihood is there'll be space for 2 almost everywhere you look but the asking price will have significantly reduced by then.
Wot he said.
ski holidays
Cool- cheers all. Will see what the Flims people say, and if there's nowt going on there I'll look nearer the time. Got Tignes glacier skiing coming up in June anyway, so shall concentrate on looking forward to that. Much obliged to everyone for your recommendations - Austria/Switzerland is all new to me, so at least I've got some ideas now Very Happy
snow report
Righty-ho, so I've got nowhere with the Austria/Switzerland idea - did have a look at various France options, but am now thinking Bansko Bulgaria might be the way to go.

Have found a great apartment, with brilliant facilities, close to the lifts, cheapo Easyjet flights and very good transfer options. Lift passes are also very cheap (see a theme here?!), only problem is I can't find anything that tells me when the lifts open.

Last year it was 12/12. We'll be going 10/12, probably won't be skiing first day, but I want to make sure we're actually going to get out on the piste from 11/12 onwards. Would anyone happy to know when the season starts, or the best way that I could find out?

Cheers in advance,
Emm.
snow conditions
another pertinent question would be what the snow record is like that early in the season.
ski holidays
Yeah, done some research on that pam w - including on Snowheads, no worries on that score. Anywhere that early in the season is going to be hit and miss to be fair, I'm expecting that.
As long as it's white and wet I'll ski on it....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Smokin Joe wrote:
Hinterglemm

Could be a bit early...
snow report
moffatross wrote:
Emmeline wrote:

snow report
to answer the OP... my house...Embarassed pimp alert Embarassed
i'll ferry you about to the best areas open within Ski Amadé (December is normally Schladming, Reiteralm, some lifts in Haus, Zauchensee, Flachau Winkl and probably Wagrain).. 45min from Salzburg.
ski holidays
Hi flangesax, thanks for the info - is proving tricky to get Salzburg flights that early Sad

clarky999, can't get out there til 23/12 so yep, too early. I don't want to go that close to Xmas.

Lou, having reconsidered the Total Ski idea, it's a no-go as it's a Friday departure and I can't arrange the leave from work. It would be hard to 'follow the snow' due to the fact there's no package deals for the dates I want, so it's a case of booking quickly while there's still cheap flights and places to stay. I've looked at various areas in France and most of the hotels are already booked up for that week, crazy!

I'm all set to book the flights to Sofia this weekend but as they are non-refundable, I just wanted to make sure the lifts were open when we got there!
ski holidays
Quote:

I've looked at various areas in France and most of the hotels are already booked up for that week, crazy!

that sounds most unlikely - many resorts won't even be open on December 10. However, if you are looking for less than standard Sat/Sat bookings they won't play ball until much nearer the time, as odd days might stop them selling two whole weeks. They're sometimes pretty pig headed about this, even if they are half empty! If there are no packages for the dates you are looking at, that might be a bit of a clue.

I'd agree with the advice to book late - but if you could get the flights (munich and drive?) the offer from flangesax is tempting.
snow report
Well if you are interested in St.Anton you will find lots of info about the village, Flights, Hotels, Apres etc here: www.st-antonamarlberg.co.uk

It is great there at Christmas, especially if there is fresh snow in the village centre....
ski holidays
http://www.obertauern.com/en/winter/home.html
snow conditions
You can look at archive webcam footage to see what snow conditions have been like in Bansko over the last few years on this site.

http://www.bulgariaski.com/webcam.php?resort=Bansko2&lang=en
snow conditions
Hi all, thanks very much for all the replies Smile

What I'm now actually after is when the lifts open in Bansko, i.e. have they given a date yet as to when they'll be operating? If not (and it's dependant on the snow) then fair enough. I've done some research (including on this site) about Bansko, and the info I've gleaned has satisfied me that there will be something to ski on, even that early.
I just don't want to book my flights, get there, and not be able to buy a lift pass - hence I was hoping someone would be able to tell me if the season had been declared.

If not no worries Very Happy I've looked at other options, including Austria, Switzerland, France - and have ruled out all of these for one reason or other (no decent flights being the main one, and I know it's because it's early in the season, but also things like we don't want a chalet, we want specific facilities, we don't want to hire a car) etc. Bansko is what we've settled on, if we can guarantee the lifts will be open. If this is all dependant on snow conditions then so be it - we'll probably knock the idea on the head and go away in 2012 Smile

I do appreciate all the advice and info - as this will help when I'm planning the next trip away. For now though, I'm hoping someone will know when the lifts open in Bansko Smile

Cheers,
Emm.
latest report
All - thanks very much for all your feedback and help, I am now sorted!

Booked Easyjet flights from Gatwick to Salzburg, and the Hotel Steiner in Obertauern, going from Sunday 11th to Sunday 18th Dec.

Just got to pay for the transfers, and book our luggage in with Easyjet (not sure at mo whether we're taking 1 lot of sports luggage or 2).

Oh, also got to sort the airport parking.

Cheers again, really excited!

Emm.
latest report
I'd park at the Russ Hill Hotel. It's very very basic, but at about £50 for a double or twin hotel room and parking for the week on site it is pretty much unbeatable.
ski holidays
Nice place.
We've actually been there around the same time in December 2007. Exceptional early snow and lucky for us 5 days of sun and cold. As you can see on our photo.

Not to miss is the apres-ski in the mountain hut on top of the Edelweiss chair lift. Starts around 3pm and you ski down after the lifts are closed - magic (to more apre bars of course). It will be hard to leave your plushy hotel but you should try it at least once.

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy