Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Youngsters BASI

Poster: A snowHead
I've posted on here before that my daughter is quite keen on taking BASI qualifications. She still seems to be enthusiastic about this and as she's 16 in January we're looking at her doing it next summer once GCSE's are out of the way. I know that the children of several Snowheads did theirs at a similar age. How have they progressed since, have they taken the next level, are they using the qualification? Any particular issues, etc.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bumped for the evening crowd.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colin B, can't help with your question about how much kids have progressed but I think that to do Level 2 you have to be 18, so your daughter wouldn't be able to progress straight to the next step on the BASI ladder.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, Thanks! Are you sure that's the case? It specifically states in the pre-requisites for L1 that you need to be 16, there is nothing shown on L2 or L3 about 18 (although there is for L4). Not that it would be a particular issue I guess a couple of years is more realistic anyway.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Colin B, mine did her L1 last summer after GCSE's and it took almost a year to get all the shadowing hours in and the first aid course whilst doing her first year of A levels.... My only advice would be to do the course early in the summer hols and then bang out the shadowing hours asap, that said she struggled to get lessons to shadow in the quiet summer time and i wasn't too keen on her just spending time in rental or the office. When lessons picked up she was back in school and as we live a fair journey to the slope it was quite a few full days out for her to get all her time in with other commitments.

another issue which may come up is that with all these people getting L1's i really doubt that there will be much paid for work at the various domes and dry slopes for newly badged L1's to then get the next 35 hours which you need before attending the L2 course. Pure speculation on that but worth thinking about...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Colin B wrote:
rob@rar, Thanks! Are you sure that's the case?

I'm not entirely certain, just something I vaguely remember reading somewhere. Hopefully beanie1 will be able to get a definitive answer on this.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, Thanks my daughter will be in a similar position, starting A levels in September 2012. We're thinking about going to Hintertux to do it in the summer holidays and follow it up with a week of leisure. She would probably do her shadowing at Tallington which is a smallish dry slope fairly near to here although they are not that busy in the summer so a day or so at Hemel or somewhere similar may be on the cards also. She might be able to get some work at Tallington next winter but that would be dependent on getting shadowing, first aid, etc sorted by the time they are recruiting.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret wrote:

another issue which may come up is that with all these people getting L1's i really doubt that there will be much paid for work at the various domes and dry slopes for newly badged L1's to then get the next 35 hours which you need before attending the L2 course. Pure speculation on that but worth thinking about...

Interesting - it's a factor which I'd always weighted heavily when considering whether to do a L1. I guess dry slopes would be a little easier for work at busy weekends but then I suspect there's a number of people passing L1 who've never skied on dry.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, I remember it being posted before too, not sure it is the case though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob, I guess it depend what your motivation is. My daughter is only 16, will do A levels and may well go to uni after that. She does seem very keen on it though and I've said I'll finance her to L2 if she gets that far, if she wants to go further it will be down to her. It will also hopefully help her skiing. It's another string to her bow and as a Saturday job as a teenager it is possibly more attractive than Sainsbury's (although probably not as well paid).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

to do Level 2 you have to be 18

I did mine when I was 17, then just had to wait till I was 18 to get my license validated, I think it's still ok to do this! Tallington is awesome, learned to ski there as a wee nipper Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Both my kids have done this.
Son did L1 in summer between AS and A", followed by L2 summer after A2.
He then worked the season in Switzerland in his gap year.
He is at Uni now and is 1/2 way to ISIA.

Daughter did L1 with skimottaret's lass, she will do L2 next summer at Hintertux and will then teach the season of 2012-13 in her gap year.

Obviously loads of youth do Gap Year Courses, get BASI L2....and then never teach a day of their lives. That is fine, their choice, but not what mine wanted to do.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I did my L2 at 17/18 along with 20 other people. Around 4 of us still teach to this day. Thats not to say everyone else wasted their time or money though. It is still a worthwhile course, especially if you get a trainer you work well with, although they are all good some are more likely to push you harder beyond the current required level. The L2 works out as very good value training, you have a top trainer for 9 1/2 days for a price a ski school cant really match as you are in a group lesson, although you will still get plenty of attention via video feeback etc, also there will very very rarely be a person who holds the group back (unlike real group lessons) So really its great value instruction with a qualification at the end!

So level 2 is worth it I would say. Level 3 is another thing altogether, its so expensive and time consuming to complete that its only worth considering if you want to be a snowsports professional really. By the time I complete my level 4 my skiing will have cost a touch more than my sisters 4 year university degree, but then there is no real point in staying put at L3 if you have the ability to finish it all.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BASI alpine pathway states you must be 16 to do your L1 and 18 to do you L4. So she will be fine for her L2.

It may be that Apline ski school will not take L2's until they are 18.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret wrote:

I assumed the 70 hours were to be got all by shadowing for nowt, but are you suggesting the 2nd 35 hours can be got in 'gainful employement' should such an opportunity arise????

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
Thanks all some really useful input based on first hand experience. Waiting for next summer's dates to be published now. I suspect that she may have a similar problem as skimottaret's, daughter getting everything in while at school full time.
snow report
Colin B, rob@rar, you can do the L2 course before you're 18, you just wouldn't get the License until you're 18 - although with a L1 could still work on artificial slopes.

Shouldn't be a problem for L1s getting some work in the winter. Plus the second 35 hours can also be shadowing.
ski holidays
Quote:

followed by L2 summer after A2.

rungsp, thats a good idea, hadnt thought of a summer course post A Levels...
ski holidays
beanie1 wrote:
Colin B, rob@rar, you can do the L2 course before you're 18, you just wouldn't get the License until you're 18 - although with a L1 could still work on artificial slopes.

Shouldn't be a problem for L1s getting some work in the winter. Plus the second 35 hours can also be shadowing.

interesting; could you point me to where does it say that on the BASI site?

One of my Guys at Goling is interest in doing B2; but will be under 18.
snow report
scooby_simon, I've looked and I can't actually see any mention of age on the L2 section of the website. I'll point this out to the office.
ski holidays
skimottaret, there will be a L2 course at Hintertux next summer, I have had that confirmed this week from BASI. Details will be up on their web in a few weeks.
My daughter will be doing that for sure...why not get yours on it too, since they did L1 together they might both enjoy it just a bit more if they have someone they know to share with etc?
snow report
let me know when the young 'uns book the L2 so I can avoid those weeks and not be shown up Wink
ski holidays
kitenski, it is a sad fact of life that there are always young 'ins on every BASI course you'll ever do!
latest report
rungsp, Im not sure she will be able to get in her 35 hours prior to as it is nose to the grindstone for A levels and i dont want any distractions... but if it isn't too close to end of exams she should be able to bang out the hours in the summer prior to the course. email me when you have details from BASI and i will have a think ... as you say it would be great to have a familiar face and same age roomy for the the week scott at insideoutskiing.com
latest report
To clarify - the rule is now that 16 year olds can take their L2, and get a license at that age. However, please bear in mind that not all gap year providers will accept under 18s, and some employers may not.
ski holidays
beanie1 wrote:
To clarify - the rule is now that 16 year olds can take their L2, and get a license at that age. However, please bear in mind that not all gap year providers will accept under 18s, and some employers may not.

Currently Gosling will rake under 18's to teach.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy