Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone have /used Decathlon ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
Have couple mates want to get some boots and have now missed out in the sales but have noticed decathlon do some very cheap models was wondering if they are ok or best to stay away from?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How much is cheap?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
60 and 80 quid
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Decathlon kit is usually pretty good. However you'll need to check that they fit well, as Decathlon (at least the ones ive been to in the UK) generally don't employ boot fitting staff.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I say stay away. I work for SkiSet in Montalbert, La Plagne and every season we have English and French tourists come in with feet that are killing them because they bought cheap ski boots which don't fit properly and they end up buying a new pair in our shop, so it's a false economy.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I bought my first pair, Salomons not their own make, from them. 1 mondo size too big!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Got ours in decathlon 5 years ago, not their own make though, despite some negative comments on here they've been great, have never hurt, and still using them, had to change worn heels but apart from that, still as good as new! Mine were £55 end of season sale.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Guess what Elizabeth B says, good fit and comfort as hard to achieve everywhere if not sure what is right.

just try with thin socks and allow A good while for pottering about In store if determined to buy like this.

takes me a while to settle in my boots each morning.

Worth considering hiring to make sure exactly what suits in resort then asking for hire discounted if buy a pair. Don't decathlon hire in some places now?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Decathlon boots should be fine if they happen to be the right shape for your feet, they fit well "off the shelf" and both your feet are the same size/shape - not a foregone conclusion, mine are very different. If any of those conditions are not met, they probably won't be fine! As oldmike says, use thin socks and be sure they're not too big. If they're comfortable right away, they probably are.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
As oldmike says, use thin socks and be sure they're not too big. If they're comfortable right away, they probably are.

Would definitely agree with that! I'm very much a novice when it comes to skiing, but when I went to invest in a pair of ski boots, I was so glad I went and had them fitted properly, by someone who knew what they were talking about.

I imagine most people buying boots for the first time would be tempted to buy what is instantly comfortable - I know I certainly would have done if it wasn't for the knowledge of the fitter.

I'm sure decathlons boots are fine, but as others have said, only if your feet happen to match the boot. When I went and got mine, I was basically told to ignore which looked the best, or which were the most attractive price wise, the most important thing is that it fits properly, whether that's £80 or significantly more - at the end of the day, if they don't fit properly, you aren't going to enjoy yourself as much and your skiing will suffer as a result too.

The other thing to bare in mind too, is if you go to a retailer which will actually fit them for you, you will normally have the option to go back and have them tweaked whenever you want - which won't be something decathlon offer, which is well worth baring in mind too

Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also buying boots for beginners (if I have assumed correct from the OP) can be a waste of money. Boots optimised for beginners are very diferent (softer) to what is best for intermediates. Best to hire boots for first trip or two then get a good pair which will last many seasons as you progress
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
couple of silly facts,

fact 1) 90%+ people who buy boots buy them off the shelf in places like decathlon
fact 2) most of those people have boots at least 1 if not 2 sizes too bug!

why, because the boot makes know that many people buy this way so they make boots feel great in your measured size (normally with 25-30mm shell fit) if you are going to buy like this you need to educate yourself about shell fitting and carry this simple test out before you pull the trigger, pull out the liner and have a look as to how much space there is in there...if it feels comfortable it is probably (almost certainly) too big, if it feels really tight when you put it on clip the boot up and flex it for 5 mins and see if it still feels tight, if it is still tight but feeling better than it did when you put it on then it is probably the right some in terms of length, with and general volume is impossible to guess though

sure they may be better than a rental boot, but if you have the cash to go skiing think about spending the little bit extra it costs to have a pair of boots fitted, be it in a special store or a cain store who has some staff who ski and understand what can and cannot go wrong

of all the people i see with boot problems the only ones that are generally more than a size big come form this type of shopping, in most cases a size big will get you by for a few holidays until you then understand how a boot should fit and get it right...so i guess what i am saying is wherever you buy a boot make it a store who actually at least measures your foot and helps you with the selection rather than a supermarket
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Take a mate who knows what he's doing and has had properly fitted boots. At £60 they will be far better than the rentals, and probably sell for £50 when you get back on ebay. They probably aren't going to be the last boot you ever own, but if you can get a really snug fit with no pressure points in Decathlon, it is pretty much the same way most of us have had boots fitted by the likes of Snow & Rock etc, except in Decathlon they don't pretend to be fitting boots, you just get on with it yourself (with some guidance from knowledgeable friend)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 30-11-12 23:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Go to the Nottingham branch, great staff who know about skis, boots and repairing both!

I have had some great advice... "Don't buy those, they are crap!" And "sure, these are £20 more but they fit your weird feet"

AND they fitted them and helped me Faff about until they were right!
latest report
Colin B wrote:
I bought my first pair, Salomons not their own make, from them. 1 mondo size too big!

Funny you say that, because so did I!

Dead comfy though, sold them on eBay when I upgraded to a proper fitted pair.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy