Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's next for ski tech?

Poster: A snowHead
As its scorchio and I'm unable to move from my chilled beer the logical question to ask is what are the next big things going to be in ski development?

We've had sidecut, width, twin tips and now rocker and skis that can just flat out put a grin on your face But what's the next thing I'm going to seduced into buying - the true one ski quiver or the Rolls Royce refinement of current tech (DPS Pure?)?

What do we the punters really really want next (besides airlines to drop their baggage charges)?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Apple iSki. The first release will obviously look stylish but will lack several useful features such metal edges. Will only work with Apple iBoots and will need a constant connection to the iCloud. The main reason for the iCloud connection will be so Herr Jobs can track and charge you per mile skied. Will probably also be restricted to use on only official App Store approved lifts.

On a more serious note I see new graphics and higher prices.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
waynos, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing all this on apple mountain Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
waynos,

Hi tech - completely customisable flex dictated from your iphone through piezo damped rods. Battery life poor and a replacement wil cost 50% of the price of the skis.

Lo tech - designers revisit the past for inspiration and glue random little weights to skis and sell it as something techy and exciting.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How a about a ski that comes in layers so that you can add or remove a layer depending on the conditions and the way you want the ski to behave - a bit that the switch skis which alter their flex by extending the arms across the skis, but done in layers - a sort of a layer up your own ski thing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a friend who does custom art work on skis. Why can't they have a ski printer in the shop. Would cut down on ski thieft.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
magnetraction, it's the one bit of snowboard tech that ski manufacturers haven't ripped off yet Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How about "stay sharp or self sharpening edges" and "non scratch bases" Toofy Grin sorry Spyderjon
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some kind of powder fluff up system, so when you ski powder the ski fluffs up the compressed snow and fills in your tracks. Would take away some of the ego satisfaction of leaving your mark on the mountain.

A dynamic weight reduction system would be nice. So when ski touring up you can dial in less weight and dial it back on for the downhill. Maybe some detachable elements to the ski that can be stored in back pack for going up as the lighter underfoot the better.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've had a long standing idea regarding ski theft - I wonder if it would be possible to fit skis with RFID tags built into their structure and have downward pointing readers retro fitted on the automated lift pass readers that would scan the skis as they passed through and do the lights, flashing and stop the gate thing if a pair reported as stolen to the system were detected. I would envisage a universal detection system that could be deployed across all automated lift pass systems in multiple resorts.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Clip on top sheets in various designs, like mobile phone cases, so you can 'express your personality'
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skis that come with ski lessons on how to get the best out of them.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, Laughing Laughing Laughing your not the only one with this idea, lets see who is first to market!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, now thats a good idea, how are you on super fat skis rob Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skis so stupidly fat that they ruin your knees and offer nothing else for EU conditions... wait a second we already have those NehNeh
ski holidays
livetoski wrote:
rob@rar, now thats a good idea, how are you on super fat skis rob Toofy Grin

Awesome wink
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
skis so stupidly fat that they ruin your knees and offer nothing else for EU conditions... wait a second we already have those NehNeh

What are these things you speak of? They always offer something even if its only making Frenchies point at you in a liftline or an awesome rooster tail wink

If techs so bad why are instructors always some of the worst offenders when it comes to gear whoring? Proform? wink
snow report
hang11 wrote:
magnetraction, it's the one bit of snowboard tech that ski manufacturers haven't ripped off yet Very Happy

Take a look at the Praxis Concept wink
snow conditions
stop giving away your IP, dafties Toofy Grin

i'll settle for a re-release of the twins (as in blonde not tips) on the Head JO skis from a few years back - cougar style Laughing (seriously, anyone know where you could still get a pair of the originals?)
latest report
hang11 wrote:

Narrow Ass Snowboards plus Rossi and Quiksilver/Roxy have had the tech while Rossi owned QS and they've never really used it. Conclusion - not really needed when there are independent edges that can be separately weighted.
snow report
barry, A search will reveal that I've posted that idea several times on here and I would refer to earlier posts to demonstrate my prior IP claim to the concept should anyone go to market!! Laughing
ski holidays
hang11, a patent exists in Japan for a serrated ski edge similar to magne traction dating back to 1985. One thing I've learnt in the last 6 years designing skis is that you can guarantee that over the last 1000 years when it comes to shape.....someones done it.
latest report
Dot. wrote:
hang11, a patent exists in Japan for a serrated ski edge similar to magne traction dating back to 1985. One thing I've learnt in the last 6 years designing skis is that you can guarantee that over the last 1000 years when it comes to shape.....someones done it.

Noted.

My next suggestion is........silly hats
latest report
hang11, nah.....stretch pants and gaiters Toofy Grin
snow report
Dot. wrote:
Excellent, I can get mine out of the loft Happy
snow conditions
Dot. wrote:

Being a kiwi, I can tell you that they were the in thing last year, and for the 15 years before that

In fact you could see jeans and gumboots on a pointy nosed snowboard make a reappearance in Europe next year
snow report
Dot.,
Quote:

nah.....stretch pants and gaiters Toofy Grin

Hope you guys are still talking skiing gear Shocked wink
snow conditions
I'm not sure how useful new shapes can be to most of us. DPS' crazy spoon / cleat thing might be useful if you only ever ride Alaskan powder, but for most of us I would think innovation will be more to do with materials and manufacturing techniques.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Monoski - it's the future.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy