Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing differences between Atomic D2 SL and the RS SL

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Can someone who has skiied both the Atomic Mens FIS Skis (D2 and non D2) comment on the differences?

many thanks

Simon
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have the Sally FIS 3Vs which are basically the atomic d2. They are demanding and playful. The d2 helps give more end of turn spring.
The Atomic users in the pro circuit seem to prefer the flat SL though. And no-one is quite sure why.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
quadwould, Talked to both the Coach's at Gosling and also Sally at Bartletts (AKA The Toy Shop) and the general opinion is that the D2's are better for "pure; un cut up carving /racing" but lose out when courses are cut up and in real world usage - the Salomon D2 are (alledgedly) a little softer than the Atomics ; I've decided to go for the non D2 as they will be used for racing (dry and artificial) and for holiday piste monster; Hoping to be able to afford 2 pairs (and probably one pair of bindings) so I can have a nice pair for snow and then a slightly less nice pair for plastic....

Also slightly concened using D2's on dry with all the crap / Dendix and stones flying around to get trapped under the D2 plate.....

Just need Atomic to open up the instrcutors offer and job's a goodun (and an expensive one!!)....

Many thanks for your reply.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well that plan has hit the fan. Atomic are not offering either FIS spec ski in the Instructors offer this year. Looks like I need to investigate plan B and C....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Best you talk to the Toy Shop.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gsb wrote:
Best you talk to the Toy Shop.

Indeed; Problem is I cannot do what I want at retail prices; even with the generous help they give us. Another option is Salomon 3v's but I do not know anyone with them....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
scooby_simon, There are demo pairs of the Salomon ones around.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

so I can have a nice pair for snow and then a slightly less nice pair for plastic....

scooby_simon, I took a fresh out of the wrapper set of non lab 3vs on my last trip away, within one week on erm... snow, they now look like they have done years on plastic!

The std 3vs vs full labs- no contest, I was teased with a pair during a training session & now wish I'd never stepped foot on them, it's that moment after a couple of turns you just know!! sadly I can't sneak that one on the visa bill!! Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
scooby_simon, Why don't you ask Sally if you can try their demo D2 and flat top?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gatecrasher wrote:
Quote:

so I can have a nice pair for snow and then a slightly less nice pair for plastic....

scooby_simon, I took a fresh out of the wrapper set of non lab 3vs on my last trip away, within one week on erm... snow, they now look like they have done years on plastic!

The std 3vs vs full labs- no contest, I was teased with a pair during a training session & now wish I'd never stepped foot on them, it's that moment after a couple of turns you just know!! sadly I can't sneak that one on the visa bill!! Sad

If you don't mind me asking how much do you weigh? I'm only 75 kg so I think I'm a little lite for the "full race spec" skis; hence the Salomon's D2 (as softer) or the flatdeck Atomics (same reason)...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gsb wrote:
scooby_simon, Why don't you ask Sally if you can try their demo D2 and flat top?

Might be on the phone tomorrow Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
scooby_simon,

A smidge under 75kg in long socks! Admittedly tested on plastic.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gatecrasher wrote:
scooby_simon,

A smidge under 75kg in long socks! Admittedly tested on plastic.

OK; this is interesting; so where did you test them; what was the turn initiation like at slower speeds?

(this is what worries me going to 165's when as an old git I can race on 160).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
scooby_simon,

Quote:

(this is what worries me going to 165's when as an old git I can race on 160).

Oops! Should have read and understood your OP better, these would not have been FIS, well not men’s anyway!! The ones I tried were 155s so probably women’s FIS, this would explain a lot!! Apologies Embarassed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like the current fav is the Sally 3v LAB; assuming Salomon come back with a sensible price on Bindings! Problem is I'll have to wait until September!
ski holidays
scooby_simon, I have those, and they are a hoot. The only time I found them lacking was in very heavy slushy stuff.
For the piste I haven't come across anything that I prefer.
latest report
Chattonmill wrote:
scooby_simon, I have those, and they are a hoot. The only time I found them lacking was in very heavy slushy stuff.
For the piste I haven't come across anything that I prefer.

Good ho; just got to wait a couple of months for them!
snow report
Finally ended up with Atomic Race dept flat decks 2nd hand.

Will report back on Findings as planning a day at Hemel on Wednesday to play with both pairs and make some decisions.
ski holidays
They are a lot of fun; might be a little stiff for racing in the UK but will be race training on Saturday so we'll have to see!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy