Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Freeride Boots

Poster: A snowHead
Nearly 20 years after my last season I have finally worked myself into a position where I will be in the Alps for most of next season. It is also nearly 20 years since I bought a pair of ski boots in a shop. I've cheerfully and successfully muddled through since on a combination of blagged unwanted racing boots and more recently an ebay purchase (exactly what I tell guests not to do...).

The recent crop of freeride boots- Garmont Endorphin, Scarpa Typhoon, Black Diamond Factor etc have piqued my interest and for this year I want to buy a pair and get them fitted properly. Obviously foot suitability is prime but has anyone got experience of these boots (particularly those not mentioned above and can highlight any positives and negatives they've encountered to assist me in my shopping? Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you mean AT (touring) boots, or just stiff boots marketed for offpiste?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Verbo, See a boot fitter in the resort you will be in next season, buy there, get them fitted, but keep us posted and we'll try and keep you clear of any problems. The subject you raise is huge and i will be happy to tackle this in smaller chunks. Fitting is optimum, so a good fitter near to where you'll develop and ski the most will be able to fit above your needs and make changes as and when you need.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Touring boots may come later, unless the outcome of these discussions leads me there earlier. I like the idea of a boot which uses normal bindings and skis as well as a regular boot but has a walk function and a sole that gives more grip. They are at the top of the price range so I'm interested in other people's experiences, first or secondhand of whether they work ie the walk function allows some movement outside a waddle and the sole does actually grip. A touring boot will achieve this but will mean new bindings as well as new boots and I've reluctantly accepted we need a new washing machine first...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Smallzookeeper, thank you for advice which I will follow. Before I do that I wonder whether the claimed extra benefits these boots offer (walk mode and grippier sole) work when in use.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Verbo, You're brief really eludes quite a small range at the moment, some may call your description Touring boots. Read Atomic Tracker for a good start point.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
scarpa Typhoon s do come with both soles but the gripper sole does not work with alpine bindings as it incorperates rocker in the sole but the walk mode is great for apres and generally comfy walking.I find them great boots really comfy great linners think they are 120 flex.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

stiff boots marketed for offpiste?

This line really confuses me as I will be buying a new pair of boots this season and am trying to fathom a few things out. I hope you can assist

The question I have is that on reading the Warren Smith Academy website he/they quote...

"The reason that most skiers have a lack ankle flex is that a lot of skiers learn to ski in boots that are to stiff for them to flex so the joint that does all the flexing is the knee. A lot of skiers also suffer from having calf muscles that are to tight to be able to move and flex the ski boot."

I always thought that the better skier you were enabled you to ski a stiffer boot thereby making you ski better

But should I be looking at a less stiff boot be used for freeriding??

Maybe after I work out that answer I will throw into the mix the fact that I want to do a bit of day touring as well!!!

( have just read the above back to myself and not even sure if I understand myself Puzzled )
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oi Oi Savaloy, Ok, so this could take the discussion somewhere else. There is plenty on this site about stiffness and ankle flex, so best search there first.
Do people use softer boots for freeride? Well, that depends and is relative. They will use a softer boot for freeride than they would for Slalom, that's for sure.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
cheers mate will have a search Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bend ze knees again its gone already wink dont think there is a boot that does everything really well touring/downhill like in anything else there will always be a comprimise somewhere but it all depends on what you want you also need to look at the other threads on here probably loads on this subject.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
don't think there are any boots that many people would want to race and tour in, but some of the freeride boots out there don't feel like too much of a compromise for general freeriding and touring
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oi Oi SavaloySZK will know far more than me but AIUI the marketing of "freeride" boots arose from a recognition that as people became better skiers they didn't necessarily want "race" boots which were the existing high performance offer this evolved into "freerando" boots with a walk mode and interchangeable soles. Real tourers will eventual end up in a dynafit compatible boot for weight reasons but they'll usually have a "resort" boot as well.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, just out of interest what do the top free riders use? as in model/brand do they use a touring"freeride" boot or top end race boots never really get to see their feet on the NFWT.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
meandrew, i doubt many of them use boots with walk modes when competing but my comment was really about mere mortals looking for a boot which will allow them to control a fat ski but also be comfortable enough to tour in for an hour or so without problems
ski holidays
The endorphin is fine for on piste/offpiste/day touring. Maybe a bit heavy for hut to hut trips. BUT Garmont use a narrow laste. Scarpa use a wider laste.
snow report
Verbo, I think the lange super blaster has grippy soles and walk mode.
snow report
fatbob wrote:
Oi Oi SavaloySZK will know far more than me but AIUI the marketing of "freeride" boots arose from a recognition that as people became better skiers they didn't necessarily want "race" boots which were the existing high performance offer this evolved into "freerando" boots with a walk mode and interchangeable soles. Real tourers will eventual end up in a dynafit compatible boot for weight reasons but they'll usually have a "resort" boot as well.

I wouldn't agree. A few years ago, I had a pair of what were then state of the art crossover boots (Garmont Adrenalines - how times have changed Blush ), but they were too tight. I struggled with them because I was convinced I needed boots that were as stiff as possible for the steeps and deeps. Eventually, my guide convinced me to change them, and we hired the cheapest, sloppiest boots in the shop. He forced me to ski with the leg clips loose, and I had to work on my weight distribution so that it was concentrated in the middle of the foot, so that turning became a matter of technique rather than brute force. Over the course of a day, he proved to me that a little technique goes a lot further than the latest hyped equipment.

Having said that, I've now partaken of the mystic elixir, and I'm skiing on Scarpa Spirit 4s with Dynafiddles, so most skiers will conclude I'm bonkers, and my opinion is not worth a penny. Very Happy
snow conditions
meandrew,
Quote:

just out of interest what do the top free riders use?

They all pretty much use down performance race boots, some in the "Freeride" colours, others something like the Dalbello Krypton Pro. I've known a couple use the BD Factor but haven't pursued it, much to BD's discontent.
snow report
Thanks for the responses, positive enough for me to try some when I go boot shopping, subject to the small matter of saving up!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy