Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

protecting skis

Poster: A snowHead
well, after amazing skiing last week in Mottaret in the solid sunshine, i must now pack my skis away until next year Sad .

Having neved owned skis before, i dont have much room and they will have to go in the basement, any tips for ensuring they are in good nick next year and not turned into rusty planks?

thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tom, I'd put them in the loft (if you have one) as it shouldn't be as damp. Get them serviced, and ask the person servicing them to leave loads of wax on as it helps to protect the edges. Also, seperate them before putting them away as it helps to retain the "spring" in the skiis.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tomski01, Share some details on Mottaret.

Is Vallon still good? Was it slushy in Meribel? Where did you get to?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ok tips for ski storage

1. Clean them properly before anything else, pay particular attention to bindings, also make sure there is no existing rust on the edges or anywhere else.

2. If getting them waxed and serviced before you put them away have them coat the edges with wax as it heps to protect them

3. Allow skis to dry out properly in a warm dry room for at least 1 week, if you don't have them waxed/serviced before putting them away get a very little vegtable oil on a cloth and just wipe the edges with it, this will help prevent rust.

4. The best way to store skis is side by side (never base to base) and upside down on a rack (2 bits of wood screwed a little further apart than the bindings. Air should be able to circulate arround them and it must be a dry location, most ski edges are fairly high in carbon conten so will rust well if any moisture is present

5. Never Ever wrap skis in plastic or store in a ski tube for any length of time, it is a recipie for rusted edges.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My beautiful new skis acquired a smattering of rust having been put in the ski bag after a day's skiing, then staying there throughout the drive back to the UK ( I dried them as best I could before putting them in). I wiped as much as I could off, and they are now slowly drying off in a warm room (well, as warm as you get in our house), separately. What do I do with them next (apart from taking them skiing at Easter, I hope)? Confused
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd get them serviced, nice and ready for the next trip then.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The resident ski tech at my hotel did a "storage wax" job on my skis before we left - a nice thick wax coating which I must remember to get scraped off next time!! I thought 10 euros was a bargain, especially as he filled in the one chunk I had managed to knock out of the base as well. What a nice chap! Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
poma get the rust off the edges if you can with a very fine abrasive cloth or paper rust tends to spread on high carbon steel so it's important to remove as much as possible, if you use a fine abrasive it will do minimal damage to the edges themselves, you might want to do what I suggested earlier as well which is just wipe them with a little vegtable oil, only a tiny ammount is required just enough to give them a light sheen, whis will help stop the oxidation process i.e rust then when you come back at easter have a full service done on the skis including an edge grind and have them leave the wax thick on the bases, tell them it's for storage and they wont scrape the bases ready for skiing which will help protect them, lastly before you put them in the bag for your return journey another light coat of olive oil or similar should stop the rust from re occuring
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
D G Orf, a diamond stone is even better for taking the rust off. Swix have a number of grits as options.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ssh I know but I was offering the cheap option, an arkansas (sp) stone will also do a good job but not many people have one of those either, a piece of fine grit emery paper only costs penies and one sheet should last for years if just needed for skis
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
D G Orf, agreed. I think the few pence for a real diamond stone is worth it for anyone that owns skis, tho. Stick it in a pocket and keep it with you to deal with the little disasters of the day when you're skiing, including dings to the edges on rocks...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I used to have a nice little diamond stone but it went walkies one day Sad If you can get one cheaply then fair enough unfortunately over here I've only ever seen them starting at about £6 wheras a sheet of emery paper comes in at 20 pence or so !

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 22-03-04 22:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
D G Orf, I may be thinking of my gummi stone ($5). I don't remember what the diamond stones cost (I bought two this year).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Were straying off topic here, the important factor is to get rid of the rust with as little loss of good metal from the edges as possible
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
D G Orf, yep. And then get them covered with something to protect them until your next trip.
snow report
possibly it would depend where you store them but never leave them covered with plastic or similar non porous material, I suppose brown paper might be ok
ski holidays
D G Orf, by "cover them with something" I meant wax (ideally) or, as you suggested earlier, a little veggie oil. I know you're just helping me get my post count up, aren't you?! Twisted Evil
snow report
Go and chat up your local engineering type factory.Most have loads of the waxed rust inhibiting wrapping paper.If they do turned parts in quality steel,the bars are wrapped in it, and they throw it in the skip.You will find it sticks to the flat base.However,not a substitute for the lazy Confused as DG says,get the rust off first.
snow conditions
snowskisnow, thats a good one, and ssh, yes I felt you needed the help Laughing
snow report
Brilliant advice everybody, thanks. I had a feeling that rust should be removed at all costs, and you have confirmed with constructive advice on how! I will approach the edges tonight with fine wire wool and caution, then a spot of olive oil; then take them out for a ride at easter and get the nice man in the shop to get them ready to store for the summer.
latest report
Glad to be of service snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy