Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wiithin 2 Hours of Geneva?

Poster: A snowHead
For the past seven or eight years my ski group has flown into Geneva (the last few, a direct flight from the Isle of Man) and we have gone to resorts that are within an hours transfer from the airport, Samoens, Les Gets, Le Grand Bornand, are the ones we have been to.

Next year we are upping the transfer time to upto 2 hours, so I would welcome some resort suggestions.

We are mostly reasonable skiers (though this year I skied for about two minutes before tripping and cracking a rib!). We are looking for a fairly large resort, with a good variety of slopes. We go self catering and will be looking for somewhere where we all get a bed (no sofa sleeping). Ski in/out would be nice or very close to the lifts and close to the local supermarket would be handy too.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be more than welcome. Booked our flights today (14. - 21. Jan) so the countdown has begun!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Big ask! Some places that fit your requirement like La Plagne are just over 2 hours so I listed 2.5 hours from Geneva as well. Very Happy

Here is a list courtesy of http://www.j2ski.com/

Ski resorts within 1.5 hours of Geneva Airport

Arolla
Arêches-Beaufort
Avoriaz
Bernex Dent d'Oche
Bruson
Champex-Lac
Champéry
Charmey
Château d'Oex
Châtel
Cordon
Courmayeur
Crest Voland Cohennoz
Drouzin le Mont
Gryon
La Féclaz
La Giettaz en Aravis
La Grande Terche
La Savoie Grand Revard
La Thuile
La Tzoumaz
Le Collet d'Allevard
Les Aillons
Les Crosets
Les Mosses
Les Plans d'Hotonnes
Les Saisies
Leysin
Manigod
Moléson
Monts Jura
Morgins
Nendaz
Ovronnaz
Passy Plaine Joux
Praz de Lys & Sommand
Saint Jean d'Aulps
Sainte - Croix / Les Rasses
Salvan - Les Marécottes
St Gervais Mont-Blanc
Torgon
Vallorcine

Ski resorts within 2 hours of Geneva Airport

Albiez Montrond
Alpe du Grand Serre
Aminona
Anzère
Aussois
Bardonecchia
Bourg-St-Pierre
Bozel
Brides-les-Bains
Brig
Brusson
Champagny en Vanoise
Champoussin
Chamrousse
Courchevel
Crans-Montana
Doucy-Combelouvière
Eischoll
Etroubles
Evolène
Grand St Bernard
Grimentz
Gstaad
Gurten
Interlaken
La Fouly
La Norma
La Robella
La Rosière
La Tania
La Toussuire
Lans en Vercors
Le Châble
Le Pleynet
Les Bottières
Les Diablerets
Les Habères
Les Karellis
Les Menuires
Leukerbad
Montchavin-Les Coches
Méribel
Nax
Orcières-Merlette
Orelle
Prapoutel
Rougemont
Saanen
Saanenmöser
Saint Hilaire du Touvet
Saint Martin de Belleville
Saint Pierre de Chartreuse
Sainte-Foy Tarentaise
Schönried
St Colomban des Villards
St François Longchamp
St Jean d'Arves
St Sorlin d'Arves
Valfréjus
Valgrisenche
Valloire
Valmeinier
Valmorel
Valtournenche
Verbier
Vercorin
Veysonnaz
Villard de Lans
Zinal
Zweisimmen

Ski resorts within 2.5 hours of Geneva Airport

Aeschi
Alpe d'Huez
Antagnod
Aosta Valley
Auris-en-Oisans
Autrans
Beatenberg
Beckenried
Bellwald
Bettmeralp
Bramans
Breuil-Cervinia
Briançon
Brienz Axalp
Cesana Torinese
Champoluc
Champorcher
Clavière
Corrençon en Vercors
Diemtigtal
Fiesch
Gresse en Vercors
Gressoney Saint Jean
Gressoney la Trinité
Grindelwald
Grächen
Kandersteg
La Plagne
Lauterbrunnen
Lenk
Lötschental
Meiringen - Hasliberg
Montgenèvre
Mürren
Oz-en-Oisans
Peisey-Vallandry
Pralognan la Vanoise
Riederalp
Saas Almagell
Saas-Fee
Saint-Rhémy-en-Bosses
San Sicario
Sansicario
Sauze d'Oulx
Sestrière
Siviez
Sollières - Sardières
Termignon
Thyon les Collons
Tignes
Torgnon
Val Thorens
Val d'Isère
Vaujany
Villard Reculas
Wengen
Wilderswil bei Interlaken

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 23-05-11 14:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jashcroft, lots of resorts listed here

Personally take a look at Verbier, Trois Vallees (La Tania is probably just under 2 hours on a good run), Chamonix (within an hour)

or hold your nerve and book late depending on the snow.......
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pm sent, depending on your group size we may be able to help.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:
jashcroft, lots of resorts listed here

Personally take a look at Verbier, Trois Vallees (La Tania is probably just under 2 hours on a good run), Chamonix (within an hour)

or hold your nerve and book late depending on the snow.......

Thinking of Meribel, went there about 9 years ago and enjoyed it.

After the bad snow this year, late booking is an idea, but I personally hate leaving things too late.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Boredsurfing missed Megève in the 1.5 hour list. Les Contamines too, which is borderline between the two lists I would think.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jashcroft, late booking works if you don't have a large group or any non-negotiable must haves wink If - as you say - you need all separate beds (no bunks or sofas?) as well as a location near everything, good and varied skiing, and within the 2 hours, you'd be as well to find and book something now, that ticks the boxes. Drop me a pm if La Tania appeals - 3 Valleys, with great links to the rest of the area.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jashcroft, for what you want, Flaine might be hard to beat, and it's close to Geneva. These "3 Valleys are only just over 2 hours" transfers are all very well downhill with the wind behind you on a quiet day. But on a busy Saturday with a bit of snow about..... a different story.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep agree 2 hours to les gets could be good going sometimes!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Le Trois Vallees
Val D'isere

my two best recommendations.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Thinking of Meribel

Good choice, as is pretty good road all the way. Would recommend being up in Mottaret for snowsure access to pistes. We've been out over New Year there and it was great. One of my fave places to ski. And is only a hop over to VT.

Happy Hunting.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For the ultimate ski in/ski out experience I'd suggest any of the semi-precious stone appartments in Belle Plagne.

The best positioned being Pierre de Soleil.

http://www.la-plagne.com/en/winter/introduction/3-settings/high-altitude/belle-plagne.html

If you'd like a big, big well appointed apartment then check out http://www.les-balcons.co.uk/

Hotel Bellecote in Montchavin has now converted the annexe into self-catering apartments. The lift is 50m away and the Sherpa is round the corner. The manager is a good friend and can organise transfer for you direct to the apartments. If interested then send me a private message and I'll put you in touch.

http://www.hotelbellecote.fr/bloclibre/index.php?titre=42
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Montchavin looks interesting. Large area to keep us busy all week. I have emailed my group the details and links to the resort and the Hotel Bellecote. Thanks. If they want to go ahead I will PM you.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
you might get to Montchavin in 2 hours at 4 am on a dry night.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Here are the drive times from Google Maps for Montchavin

1. 2 hours 14 mins
A41 and N90
195 km
2. 2 hours 21 mins
N90
150 km
3. 2 hours 34 mins
A40 and N90
168 km

Everything as always depends on airport delays, French holiday traffic, weather conditions etc. etc. etc. and it would never be under 2 hours but I thought the Boredsurfing, post above had established up to 2.5 hours maybe OK. Checking again though I see Montchavin-Les Coches was put in the 2 hour category!!!

I've worked for companies with guests being picked up throughout the Tarentaise. The advantages we have in Montchavin-Les Coches are that the road up from the valley floor is relatively short (as opposed to say Plagne Bellecote) and we have back roads running parallel to the N90 between Aime and Bourg St. Maurice which help at busy times to avoid the worst of the Val d'Isere/Tignes/Les Arcs/La Rosière traffic.

Perhaps I shouldn't tell everyone this here but if you want to use the back road then pull off at Aime towards La Plagne. Just after Macot turn left sign-posted towards Montchavin-Les Coches. At Landry go straight across to reach Bourg St. Maurice. Please keep this to yourself wink
snow conditions
I don't think the 2 hours 14 minutes would be a deal breaker.
ski holidays
jashcroft, most actually prefer the shorter (distance) longer (time) route via Annecy. The traffic through Annecy can be horrible at busy times but the delightful town and the view of the lake usually makes up for it. For a snack there is a McDs on the main road but I must admit I prefer the far side of the lake because it is a delightful drive IMHO. Also going via Annecy avoids tolls wink

Another point of interest on route to Annecy is the Pont de la Caille one of the oldest suspension bridges in the world Shocked

http://ielanguages.com/blog/pont-de-la-caille-between-annecy-geneva/
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
you might get to Montchavin in 2 hours at 4 am on a dry night.
We do daily transfers to Les Coches throughout the winter and it rarely takes more than 2 hours 10 mins!
ski holidays
Quote:

I must admit I prefer the far side of the lake because it is a delightful drive IMHO.

It is, and it's often quicker, because (coming from Geneva) you have less of a shuffle around Annecy and the western bank, though it's the "main road" is speed-limited all the way along, anyway.
Now that the previously very tedious bit north from Annecy to the airport is all motorway, I'd never go the expensive, fuel heavy, long way round.
snow report
gravystuffing,
Quote:

Perhaps I shouldn't tell everyone this here but if you want to use the back road then pull off at Aime towards La Plagne. Just after Macot turn left sign-posted towards Montchavin-Les Coches. At Landry go straight across to reach Bourg St. Maurice. Please keep this to yourself

rolling eyes Huh, another short cut all jammed up Toofy Grin You'll be telling them about the short cut through the slalom centre to the funicular next wink
ski holidays
pam w, hmm, on my last trip along there in April they are building more cycle lanes and narrowing the road even more Sad So the 'back' of the lake route may well end up slower, but it will always be good for sightseeing, I particularly like the Sothebys Estate Agents office. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Ford wrote:
I particularly like the Sothebys Estate Agents office. Toofy Grin

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
I've noted that office as I drive buy, but never yet stopped to window-shop. wink
snow report
I mean drive by. A Freudian slip?
snow conditions
I went to Avoiriaz this year and had a great time - woudld recommend it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy