Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

In The Land Of The Northern Lights

Poster: A snowHead
How cool is this:

In The Land Of The Northern Lights from Ole C. Salomonsen
http://vimeo.com/21419634
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fantastic! I'd love to visit Northern Norway sometime to see them.
When I first saw film of the Northern Lights on TV many years ago I wasn't sure whether the movement of the lights was speeded up due to time lapse photography, but I gather that what is shown is the actual rate at which they change (in fact in the video at about 2:40 you can see the lights of a car moving along the road against the backdrop of other lights, and it seems to be going at normal speed).

Edit: Having looked at the additional information by the creator of the video on the vimeo site it seems that the video was produced from timelapse of individual stills, however he has tried to preserve the real-time speed of the northern lights. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alastair - The Northern Lights move about quite visibly it's quite eerie. We've been hit with an awesome display every night this weekend so far.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We went in January - this was filmed around Tromso. The 3 days we were there, we saw the lights faintly on one night, so it was a little dissapointing, but a fantastic trip nonetheless.

We went out with Guide Gunnar (check out his website), and it was while out snowshoeing with him on the Finnmark Plateu that we saw them. Even if you don't see them, the night time scenary is breathtaking. Unfortunately so is the cold and the local prices. It really is the land of the £10 beer, and £5 coffee. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
meh wrote:
Alastair - The Northern Lights move about quite visibly it's quite eerie. We've been hit with an awesome display every night this weekend so far.

Indeed - My best Northern Lights spotting experience was in Boat of Garten in September.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/3
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Been lucky enough to see them twice, but just the less spectacular green/greeny-white variety.

Once in Fernie, once on the plane back from Calgary, over Greenland. Absolutely spellbinding.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Always sit on the port side of the plane flying back from Canada in case the Big Show is on, been lucky enough to see it 3 times - even got planephobic missus looking out the window. Would love to see it properly one day...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Richard_Sideways, absolutely - been lucky enough to see them a few times - fantastic but not quite as spooky as St Elmo's Fire dancing round the cockpit windows. A different phenomenen similar colours but up close and personal
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
meh wrote:

Lucky b'stards you are then. I noticed the geomagnetics were at 'storm' level most of the weekend too but we haven't been able to see the sky for cloud for about 3 months. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You don't need to go to northern Norway but i suppose it helps!

I've seen them four times now since 1988. Best display was in Dumfries but I've also had good displays from Hexham, Northumberland and Richmond North Yorkshire. Just head out into the countryside when you get a shout they may be on. It would help to set up a thread if you get word of solar activity.

My last display was about four years ago.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Aye it's true you don't have to go to Norway (but it's a good excuse Wink ), I've seen them many times from the Moray coast in NE Scotland Cool

Nice vid though! Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
roga, Very cool. Thanks. I have never seen them at all despite much time spent in Norway.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm hoping to get in a bike tour of Norway at some point. A few friends did it years ago but never reached the top of the country.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We went to the Lyngen Alps (near Tromso) on a ski tour last year and saw them on 5 nights out of seven Very Happy

Absolutely stunning - just like the video. Even on night 5 we were setting the alarm clock in the small hours to get out of bed and go and stand outside in the bitter cold to see them again!

An incredible experience and we appreciate how lucky we were to have such great viewing!
ski holidays
nordicfan, I think they're a lot more intense in Norway though than you see them in northern parts of the UK, after all you're that much closer to the area of the atmosphere they're actually in and in some places they're literally overhead. Certainly they haven't been as gobsmackingly large and bright when I've seen them in Scotland as the shots in that video more like a lovely coloured shimmering in the sky.
ski holidays
We're still getting hammered with them in Iceland at the moment, every night since Friday.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy