Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Still looking for an everyday ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm 5'11", 145 lbs. and a fairly aggressive skier, but I don't have the technique of an ex-racer. I like to spend as much time as possible off-piste. I've never skied in Europe before, but I'll be studying in Grenoble next winter. Hence, I need an explanation on skinny skis, as I've spent nearly every day this year on either 112mm tip-rockered or 136mm reverse/reverse skis.

I'm planning on taking two sets of skis to Europe. For sure coming are 186 Lhasas with Dukes. I'll be using them for any powder/spring conditions. However, I know I want something skinnier for when conditions aren't so good. Originally, I figured I'd bring some old yellow 179 Bros w/Dynafits as the skinnier pair, but I just don't really love them that much. Perhaps its the Dynafits, but they just don't feel that stable at speed on firm inbounds conditions and they definitely aren't damp.

Overall, I'm looking for something around 180-186cm, 85-100mm underfoot, pretty stiff (but not overly so as I'm only 145 lbs) and damp (metal is necessary?). I'm not going to be touring on these, so weight isn't an issue.

The general consensus seems to be a pre-08/09 186cm Legend Pro, but I'm wondering if I actually want something skinnier. Although off-piste performance on bad snow is my priority, I'd actually like a ski that's fun on groomers. Realistically, this ski will see a lot of them. Would a 91mm Scot Schmidt Pro be better on groomers while still good for crud? Do I actually want a ski in the 80-90mm range, or does that suffer too much for off-piste?

I'm mostly confused about what I really want. When people talk about their favorite versatile/everyday ski, that generally includes powder performance, but to be honest, I don't really need that. Mostly I just want something that will give me confidence in a La Grave couloir, stay smooth at 40 MPH through the choppy runout, and be fun on groomers. No big deal wink

Thanks for the help!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't help, but here's a nice video of some fellow who also likes skinny skis?

http://youtube.com/v/gcs393efYmk
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy