Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss Air from UK to Europe

Poster: A snowHead
did anyone fly with them this year ?
what's the policy on the ski carriage, I have been reading their "small print" and it seems too good to be true,
or am I not noticing something ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I fly with them all the time, have never paid for ski carriage.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yep - they are a throwback to the times when you didn't need a law degree to take a flight without paying supplements
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowdrop, welcome to civilisation Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Swiss is the way to go. I travelled with them a few weeks ago with my partner and we booked in 2 bags, 1 ski boot bag, 2 ski bags both containing a set of skis and a set of blades and the check-in assistant didn't even bat an eyelid! snowHead

Oh, and if you check in online the day before, you can even assign yourself exit row seats for extra leg room at no extra cost. Coming back you can check-in online and download a mobile boarding pass to your phone (not that we were able to fly back with them this time - easier to travel easyjet with a broken leg apparantly, but that's a whole other story).... what could be easier? snowHead snowHead

Oh, and if you're still not convinced - free food and drink ont he flight plus free chocolate Cool snowHead Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowdrop, During the snow related chaos in the UK back in December, I was trying to get back to LHR from Geneva with Swiss. They were absolutely fantastic throughout the 3 day delay..........and no, you don't have to pay for your skis Cool
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I used them for two ski trips this year and took my own skis both times at no charge.

Highly recommended as far as I am concerned.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richjp, ssshhhhhhhhhhhh....................They also have some excellent deals on.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another satisfied Swiss Air customer here. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Even better when it was a Crossair branded Swiss flight when the plane gets replaced with a Swiss airbus that presumably needs to be relocated. Forget picking a seat... pick your own row Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thank you all, I thought the excitement of skiing made me blind and I could not see properly,
free chocolate is the deciding factor Toofy Grin !
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowdrop, just back no problems with boot bags or ski's, took my helmet on board, enjoyed the free chocolates Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Swiss is the best airline to use for skiing. Free ski carriage in addition to hold luggage. Lufthansa shares this policy (Swiss are owned by Lufthansa) unless I'm mistaken.

KLM second best (Free ski carriage /instead/ of hold luggage, so stuff some clothes in skibag, and a handbag as big as allowed)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ronald wrote:
Swiss is the best airline to use for skiing. Free ski carriage in addition to hold luggage. Lufthansa shares this policy (Swiss are owned by Lufthansa) unless I'm mistaken.

You are not mistaken. Smile The only difference with Lufthansa I believe is that after you have booked on-line you have to phone them to notify them that you will be taking skis.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And the best flight is Swiss London City to Zurich and back. Nice airports with good check-ins
ski holidays
Snowdrop, We had a fantastic flight to Geneva last year with Swiss/BMI. Both fllights turned out to be Swiss, & were comfortable, with good food & yummy chocs too Very Happy My brother who was coming out with us for a weekend of maintenance on the apartment, flew with Easyjet, & although his flight back was due to leave Geneva 5 mins before ours, he was still sitting in the departure lounge when we were on the M3 on the way home.
snow report
You can also get free flights using Airmiles if you've got a few around. We used them at Christmas & were impressed with everything except one of our bags didn't return with us from Zurich to Manchester. Apparently it returned on the flight following ours but then took 2 weeks to make it from Manchester to West Midlands by courier - still I wasn't desperate to be reunited with my dirty washing!
snow report
Arno wrote:
yep - they are a throwback to the times when you didn't need a law degree to take a flight without paying supplements

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe some people with law degrees nevertheless incur unforeseen supplements? wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 5-04-11 21:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
blizt, Indeed - ours were airmiles Very Happy
ski holidays
Just to add to the general plaudits - used them half a dozen times when I was based in St Gervais for the winter. Very, very good. The stoat is right about London city too. An occasion springs to mind when I walked through the airport door at 11.03 and still made a flight that departed on time (swiss, so it would) at 11.15. Now that wouldn't be possible in Gatwick!
ski holidays
admin Point the Swiss marketing girls to this thread for a lucrative advertising opp for you and them (10% of your fee to mygoodself for spotting the potential - send the amount directly to Hotel Gottard, Lech, Arlberg, AT.)
snow report
Another vote - used 'em from LCY to get to the EOSb after the mara last year (We don't have Swiss Air Up Norf unfortunately Sad )
Very good, as above, free ski carriage and chocolate Very Happy
snow report
Tarquin, ah. If they do chocolate, then Newark, KX, Bank, LCY could almost be worth the effort. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
red 27, Sorry already done.
achilles, nice little choc bars, smile and they will let you have more than one!
ski holidays
I use them nearly every weekend from Amsterdam to either Basel or Zurich. Cheaper than budget airlines, snack wine,beer,coffee, chocalate included. Ski carriage is free. Airmiles also .

Fly to Airports where you want to be & not to airfields miles away from anywhere.

Why use anyone else?? Very Happy
snow report
Flew Manchester to Zurich and back. No skis with us but a very pleasant flight. Attentive staff, plenty of leg room, freen booze Cool . Fligtrs on time Toofy Grin
snow report
fatbob, not on swiss Wink
and i foresaw the supplement on BA but hoped to blag it...
anyway, i sort of get the love in for the LCY -> ZRH flight but remember that flights in and out of LCY are more susceptible to being cancelled due to bad weather... don't say i didn't warn you
latest report
Just to inject a slight bitter note Wink : Swiss are the only airline that have ever cancelled a flight on me.

OK, it was probably more BAA's fault than theirs, but they cancelled my flight on the Thursday before Xmas - i.e. 5 days after the snow fell at LHR. They notified me of the cancellation 42 hours before the flight was due to leave. i.e. on the Tuesday, the day both runways started in operation and that was pretty much the only flight cancelled that day. But since everything had been cancelled for days previous to that, that then made it impossible to rebook onto anything else for days afterwards, and they insisted on keeping to the condition that if I found some alternative means of getting out, I could either take the return with no refund for the outbound sector, or get a refund for both legs and have to rebook a single (of course at their penal short notice, single sector rates).

As I say, probably more BAA than Swiss's fault, but I was very unimpressed. Whenever else I've flown with them they've been fine though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, the first flight out to Geneva overnights and can get out even when the fog's down.
snow report
Swiss are grerat... should you believe the month will have fog, fly out of LHR into GVA/ Zurich...

The take skis for free and sometimes you will see that business is cheaper than economy!

They beat easyjet/ ryanair easily!

Am a happy Swiss customer!
snow report
radar, i'm generally looking at the last flight in both directions
ski holidays
I've been thinking about getting a big ski bag that will take luggage as well... with easyJet it can weight up to 32Kg (20Kg hold allowance + 12Kg sports equipment). Has anyone done this with Swiss, or do the skis and boots need to be in separate bags?
snow report
i generally go swiss cos i hate lugging around a huge all-in-one bag
ski holidays
I'm constantly amazed when I see people using budget airlines when Swiss/Lufthansa are available. The Ryanair additional cost to take a 20k in the hold and a set of skis is, wait for it, £130.
snow conditions
TallTone, Like the bag masque has?

Best to mail swiss, I have had swift and accurate response from them before.
snow conditions
I'm another very happy Swiss customer. Good service, punctual and carry my skis. LCY does have fog problems...I have had a Swiss flight cancelled there and spent a rather tedious night in Canary Wharf....I wasn't 'allowed' to go home (central London) either instead of using the hotel- madness. My wife is a particular fan of free chocolate. Their longer haul stuff is good value as well.

TallTone, no we have a huge bag and put 2 skis and 1 boots in....makes about 32kg!
snow report
I've flown with them twice now and will certainly again, as pointed out above the final price you pay is very comparable to the budget airlines if you are taking your own skis.

Chris Angus, I thought the free baggage allowance was 20KG on economy tickets and the ski equipment is only free if your total baggage weight is below this?

Saying that I did come back from the EoSB with a kilo or so over 20 and didn't have to pay, so I may be wrong.
snow report
davefitz, That's the BA policy
snow conditions
TallTone wrote:
I've been thinking about getting a big ski bag that will take luggage as well... with easyJet it can weight up to 32Kg (20Kg hold allowance + 12Kg sports equipment). Has anyone done this with Swiss, or do the skis and boots need to be in separate bags?

If you could you would pay for hold and equipment, which would be about £90 (you can get a BA return for more less that). I have one of those Dakine roller bags, can check in as your hold allowanance of up to 23kg on BA & KLM, you can then take cabin bag which has never been questioned with me.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, ahh, maybe I have misread this page http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/services/baggage/Pages/sporting_equipment.aspx

It initially quotes 'Tariff for equipment, Golf or Ski/Snowboard, when exceeding the free baggage allowance of your checked baggage.'

But then says a piece of ski equipment can be checked in for free with no mention of weight.

So I could have taken a 20kg bag plus my ski bag? Should be easier to pack for next time Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy