Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter Tyres.....in April?

Poster: A snowHead
So I am driving to La Tania on Friday/Sat and then on to Val Thorens for the SFaB.

Should I bother with the winter wheels/tyres in case of snow? I can't fit snow chains to the normal set so don't suggest it! It is winter wheels/tyres or nothing.

Personally I don't think I will bother but I stand to be corrected by those with more experience of alpine weather patterns.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AndrewBailey, I expect you aren't likely to need them, but I'm kind of wishing you do. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AndrewBailey,It appears like we've got a major thaw set in until at least the end of next week. Sad Who knows what going to happen by the end of week 2?
Maybe you fitting your winter tyres will be the catalyst for a big freeze and dump of fresh snow? wink
BTW, just interested, why can't you fit snow chains to the 'normal' set ? I'd have chains as a 'must carry' item on any winter\spring trip to the mountains.
We've got an extra week before we need to decide, as we're going out the the SFaB in 9 days time, We're going in Megamum's new car and I suspect we will fit the tyres, just in case. SFaB now being referred to as the SESBBQ 'Snowheads Early Summer BBQ' Shocked
Keep us posted with the on-site conditions and we'll see you out there. Have a good week and here's hoping the forecasters are wrong!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AndrewBailey, I would change, only because I assume your winter wheels/tyres are of a higher profile and therefore less likely to be damaged than your shiney low profile bling set with all the potholes on those mountain roads after such a 'harsh' winter. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AndrewBailey, after a lot of experience of driving in the mountains I'd normally say that you are just as likely to need snow tyres/chains in April as any other month (one year, the single time all season when I had to fit chains despite having 4 good snow tyres was after a sudden flurry of wet April snow - there was all of 2 inches on the road but the car refused point blank to go up a gentle hill. This year, of course....... Puzzled Could still happen though.

Maybe you are more likely to provoke the Gods of snow if you go with your summer tyres?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AndrewBailey, If you've got a winter set fit them. If not you could always buy some of those stupid Snow Sock things as a last resort.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AndrewBailey, You could always pack a set of snowsox now approved by France for use instead of chains.
http://www.autosock.com/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AndrewBailey,
Since you can't fit snow chains on your summer tyres, I'd say definitely go for the winter tyres. Just in case... Besides, you've nothing to lose except the time it takes to change them.
Edit: Provided you already own a set, that is. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Having our winter tyres taken off today and summer tyres put back on for our trip to the Alpes on Sunday, putting the mountain bikes on the back as well!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
with the high temperatures, the winters will probably wear with the ambient temps well north of about 7degrees which is the cross over point on grip and wear versus summer tyres. Personally I'd go with summer rubber and a set of snowsocks.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skinutter, Wear rates on winter tyres at higher temperatures compared to summer tyres, is now negligible, especially as most of the drive is on a motorway.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AndrewBailey Easy.. Summer tyres....

If you have summer tyres on then it will probably dump profusely and you'll wish you'd changed to the winters sat in the garage at home.
If you put winter tyres on we're all out of luck - not a drop of new white stuff anywhere.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spyderman wrote:
skinutter, Wear rates on winter tyres at higher temperatures compared to summer tyres, is now negligible, especially as most of the drive is on a motorway.

Yer right, I almost went through a front pair last year. Drove over to Austria, all OK, then went to Central Italy and back home. The temps going back and forth on the Italian motorways was up to 18-19degC both ways, might just about get one more trip to Austria and back with them if I put them on the back.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Please do not fit winters. Hopefully sod's law will apply and it will dump copiously all week, and you'll slither into a ditch. Your pain however will be alleviated by the many beers bought you by grateful snowheads in acknowledgement of your sacrifice for the greater good.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AndrewBailey, we drove to La Tania last Easter arrived Sat 3rd April and drove up snow covered roads into resort with fresh snow falling. If you've got them, put them on, you never know. Have a good trip snowHead
snow report
fatbob wrote:
Please do not fit winters. Hopefully sod's law will apply and it will dump copiously all week, and you'll slither into a ditch. Your pain however will be alleviated by the many beers bought you by grateful snowheads in acknowledgement of your sacrifice for the greater good.

fatbob, Sort of what I was saying..
snow conditions
Fourth time trying to post from work. Obviously I am not supposed to be doing this. Embarassed

Still not sure whether I should try in invoke the snow gods and use summer tyres.

Car is RWD and runs 275/35 summer tyres at back. No clearance for chains and socks are not available. Winter tyres are 235/45 and very soft but traction control light still works overtime when temps>10C.

Long range forecast says snow o/night Thurs. 14th April. (from yr.no - The Norwegian service)

What are the chances, really, of needing winter tyres for the few miles down the hill from VT on Sat 23rd? I could just wait for any snow to melt

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 7-04-11 15:04; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Quote:

Car is RWD and runs 275/35 summer tyres at back.

Do you mean to say that you have winter tyres in the front and summer tyres in the back? Honestly, then it doesn't really make much of a difference. Or did I misunderstand?
snow conditions
SkiingDad, Car has 275/35 (R) and 245/40 (F) as a 'summer' set up. Winter is 235/45 all round. I wasn't clear.
latest report
When I was leaving last week, transfer vans were going off to get their summer tyres fitted.
snow conditions
I phoned the garage yesterday to organise getting my winter wheels put on ready for the FBash and will go ahead and with that regardless of the weather. I think the argument above about potentially damaging alloys in potholes is actually very good and at least I will be ready for that 2 ft of fresh that is going to fall during next Thursday night Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Foget the tyres, I'd just check the sun visor and get the airconditioning charged up
ski holidays
AndrewBailey, I'm relieved. wink
I still don't see why you wouldn't use winter tyres. Are you simply concerned about the extra bother?
snow conditions
AndrewBailey, I've deliberately left my winter tyres on with a plan to remove them after the EoSB.
Given the perceived need for fresh snow, do you think that I should be noble and swap over to summer tyres now (my car - a RWD Merc - is completely useless in snow with summer tyres)?
snow report
AndrewBailey wrote:
Car has 275/35 (R) and 245/40 (F) as a 'summer' set up. Winter is 235/45 all round. I wasn't clear.
I dont think you would be having this dilemma with a FWD rep mobile. Time to change the car.
latest report
Freddie Paellahead, should you become stranded in Moutiers, I'm sure our 4x4 will get you up the mountain. But may be better if I am not the driver. I don't think You Raang has recovered yet.
snow report
AndrewBailey, the wigglies look promising for precipitation from Thursday onwards at the moment....

Put your summer tyres on, bound to snow then Smile

snow report
kitenski, You're not using paint to make these wiggles are you?April fools was last week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
waynos, if I was I'd be showing snow and cold temps for me next week, not the week after Wink
snow report
I'm heading out for three weeks tomorrow and just took the winter tyres off to preserve them (as I'm mean and hope to get through next winter on them). I am still left with all weather M+S tyres to which I can fit my chains and four wheel drive, so I figure I'll be ok. Laughing
snow report
So I take from this thread that

(a) we all hope for snow,
(b) I should take the summer option to ensure it does snow,
(c) I should buy a different car to ensure year round winter tyre coverage "just in case",
(d) I have no idea what those wiggly lines mean.
latest report
I have been considering taking one for the team and guaranteeing a heavy fall of snow to low level by taking my winter tyres off early...
snow conditions
This was the 25th October. We had summer tyres, and only a spare set of the wrong sized chains. I'm glad I didn't know then that this was to be one of the more memorable snowfalls of the season.
ski holidays
Decision made, winter tyre set on. Uninterrupted sunshine from now on then Crying or Very sad
latest report
I took mine off yesterday Sad
snow conditions
Mine went on this morning - have you seen the forecast? Very Happy
latest report
Megamum wrote:
Mine went on this morning - have you seen the forecast? Very Happy

Assuming you mean Snow-forecats.com... yup I believe that, it's been perfect all season wink

Perhaps all the TO's have clubbed togther and bunged forecats.com to be even more optimistic than usuall!! Very Happy

Personally I wouldn't bother changing tyres now unless you intend driving up a glacier.. good windscreen wipers probably more helpful.
latest report
Quote:

it's been perfect all season

it's been as good as the GFS it's based on and has (provided you understand its limitations, particularly for times beyond the next few days) been a pretty good guide all season. In particular, this last couple of weeks of very hot temperatures was very clearly flagged, as was the general lack of anything very interesting in the way of snow for most of the preceeding couple of months.
snow report
You certainly won't need winter tyres in La Tania. This is the view from the base lift station last Monday!

snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

it's been perfect all season

it's been as good as the GFS it's based on....

Problem is... that's not very.....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy