Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d‘Isere vs Le Rosiere

Poster: A snowHead
I am considering going to ethier Val d‘Isere or Le Rosiere next april. Which would you guys recommend? Thanks all.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Incoming...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
???

I haven‘t been to either and know very little about le Ros aside from the highlights in the brochure panel?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry La Ros is much debated and in the past has been much spammed about by a snowhead with a certain interest in promoting the place.

IMV its a curious choice to have to make as you are trying to compare 2 very different resorts and without any other context all you'll get is bias from others. For some La Ros is paradise on earth, for others a windswept sun destroyed wasteland. Similarly for Val Despair some think Espace Killy is some of the finest skiing in the world, others can't get over the price and "type" of punter attracted there.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NickyJ, it would be useful to know what you're looking for in your resort. As fatbob says they are quite different resorts and to avoid having to sift through the possible personal opinions, some clarification might get some constructive feedback.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Price wise for that week they are looking like our cheapest options.

Bit of context we are a family of 4 me and hubby have skiied once a year since we got married until I became pregnant. Before then I learnt and skiied as a kid. I am comfortable with blues and red but a bit nervy since rupturing my ACL a few years back. Hubby is more adventurous and enjoys blacks. Kids will be 2and 5 we will be going with Esprit.

We always used to pick a week early season and go off on a last minute deal where ever the snow and deal looked good. Nervous of doing this now with the girls (hence the other post).

What i am after is descent snow, long runs, good linking up on runs, (i was dissapointed with Zermatt for this) avoiding resorts with bottle necks on lift systems (eg Bansko)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd go Val D mid April onwards as La Ros might be very slushy due to south facing aspect (was it even open mid April this year) whereas I know that I'd still be able to ski at the higher altitudes of Espace Killy.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Perfect thanks I always wanted to there but didnt know anything about Le Ros so wanted to check I shouldnt be consdering it. Thanks again.

So only choice is just book it or wait and see if we can get a last minute deal allowing us to check the snow first and go a week that just looks good IYKWIM
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NickyJ, I'd have thought La Ros might be the better resort for you family-wise, especially if you aim at the Espirit chalets on the Western edge of the town where ski-in/out options exist. If you want to return to your children at lunchtime, or need to return to see them during the day, it is a fairly easy, quick process whereas Espace Killy is much larger and spread out - again, rather obviously Smile

Regards La Ros there are some good, well-linked runs, for blues and reds, options to get over to Italy if conditions permit, but nothing massively challenging IMHO. My youngest learned to ski in La Ros (at 4 and 5) and there is a great set-up that Espirit manage.

That said, and as referred to on the other thread, fatbob's observation is valid.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We went to Courchevel in Dec with Esprit And felt no special need to stay close or pop back at lunch time (in fact it was much better to be well out of sight as if they saw us and then we went off again they are more likely to get upset than if they didn't)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I'd have thought La Ros might be the better resort for you family-wise, especially if you aim at the Espirit chalets on the Western edge of the town where ski-in/out options exist. If you want to return to your children at lunchtime, or need to return to see them during the day, it is a fairly easy, quick process whereas Espace Killy is much larger and spread out

good point - it depends how you want to be organising your day, really. I wouldn't be more nervous about a "last minute" deal, just because of the girls - if you choose a low season week and are flexible about where to go, it should be fine. As noted above, la Ros and Val D'Isere really are opposite ends of the ski resort spectrum - very hard to compare. Is the 5 year old going to ski?

Given what you say about the kind of skiing you like, you'd probably not want to ski down to resort in Val d'Isere - but if you don't mind going down in lifts, there is some unscary skiing up the top.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In that case NickyJ, Val d'Isere would be my recommendation notwithstanding pam w's comment about descending to the resort. Good luck.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks All, yes our 5 yr old will be booked into sprites. The nervouses is from needing the childcare
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have done Val disere with Ski Esprit and I am assuming you are planning a mix of lessons and snow club fpr the kids, and therefore won't come back for lunch. Val D does have the best skiing, and the Duc de Savoire has great rooms and good food it is a Chalet hotel which means hotel stylle food and meals and lots more popel. ALso in teh evening the babysitting is great as every floor has 2 childcare reps keeping an eye on teh rooms and kids. La Rosiere is mainly Chalets, which means young kids cooking and you leave your kids in the room and eat dinner - no-one looks after the kids, but as there is only 12 - 14 people it s a different style of holiday.

SO your choice is Chalet or Chalet hotel as well as style of resort, we never did la Ros as we felt the skiing wasn';t going to be challanging enough for us. Once kids get older you will go to smaller resorts so you cn ski with them, for now Val D would be my choice!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, makes a very good observation about skiing down into Val d'Isere- the runs down into centre of town are quite tricky and often very busy. I'd check where the Esprit chalets are as well. That said I think the Espace Killy skiing is great and has plenty of intermediate cruising.
ski holidays
I suspect that VD would be better for the adults and LR For the kids. I agree with all the above.
ski holidays
I'd have thought Espace San Bernando (La Rosiere/la Thuile) would be a much better resort to go to with young children learning to ski. It is very family orientated and the slopes are not too busy. The lift passes would also be cheaper than Val D'Isere.

Not sure what La Rosiere/La Thuile are like for snow cover in early April as we went in January.
snow conditions
Thanks given that I wouldn't expect our eldest to be doing more than nursery slopes really From what ppl seem to be saying Val D'Isere next season but Le Ros the season after as Ellie will probably be progressing further?
snow report
NickyJ, are you going in school holidays? If not I'd be pretty sure you'd be able to get a last minute deal.

Just to throw a curve ball, I went to La Tania about 6 times starting when my 2 were similiar ages to yours, worked very well IMHO. The nannies even bought the kids up the gondola a few times either for a play in the snow, a hot chocolate or to ski with us in the afternoon.

This is the company I used: http://www.familyfriendlyskiing.com/
snow conditions
NickyJ,
If you are looking at Val D'Isere for a late deal, also consider Tignes - same ski area in Espace Killy, and Esprit have a strong presence there too. This would give you more choice re accommodation & price.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy