Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Club Med ski lessons

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Has anyone got any reviews/views/experiences of Club Med skiing lessons? For example, quality of instruction, problems encountered, language issues, group sizes, etc?

Any info much appreciated, as always!

Thanks

K
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here in Wengen, Club Med are not allowed to use their own instructors any more, they have to use staff from the Wengen Ski School. Quality is therefore high - exactly the same as you'd get with regular group lessons from the ski school.

Which Club Med are you going to?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My first experience was in Sestriere (now closed) and I felt that what we had was a ski guide rather than a ski instructor. It was great fun and I enjoyed every minute of it. Our Italian instructor did not have great English but he tried hard and was professional and fun. You are with your instructor all day and I felt that I took less breaks and skied faster because I was following someone who knew the mountain.

My second experience was in Serre Chevalier this year and I cannot speak more highly of our instructor. He took us off piste, moguls, through some (easy) trees and generally made us feel that we were getting the best possible attention. He even filmed us individually one day and talked us through our technique whilst watching the video back at hotel. My wife & daughter also had a fantastic instructor (beginners 2nd holiday) and they made huge strides forward. My wife went from being very nervous and painfully cautious to being able to ski narrow rat runs much better than I could.

Language was not an issue as we were an English speaking class consisting of Irish, English, Israeli and Russian people. My families class was also a mix of many nationalities all taught in English.

Group size was 8-12 people. Some days you have less as people often take a break to ski on their own. I had fully intended to take at least one day on my own but I had such a great time in the class that I did not do this in the end.

So....... problems? None.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Very variable

The best instructor I've ever has was ESF/Club Med in Peissey-Vallandry a few years ago, second best was in Cervinia last year

Worst was probably in Tignes this year (guideing, hardly any lessons, poor english - when he could be bothered - not helped by "losing" 4 brits after the first day in the "english" group, etc)

Generally speaking it's ESF or the local equivalent - can be good, bad or indifferent
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skitrack wrote:
Generally speaking it's ESF or the local equivalent - can be good, bad or indifferent
Is that right? I'm pretty sure that Club Med in Arc 1600 have in-house instructors.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, instructors in Serre Chevalier Club Med are all ESF, but I think only ski with Club Med clients.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They seem to be the ESF BUT it's like a branch office (for want of a better expression). They do seem to be managed by an "on site" cheif rather than the local resort - if that makes sense

and yes they only ski with Club Med people
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was out in CM Serre Chevalier last week and had a fab time. Picked the more "guiding" option that you get there and it was perfect for me. Our whole group was English except for 2 Israelis and we all had a ball. I loved the structure it gave to the holiday with a nice long relaxing lunch in between the morning and afternoon sessions. Definitely skied more terrain than I would have done otherwise.

We had 4 beginners friends out there and 2 of them progressed really well and skied with us on the last day. 1 other had the last three afternoons off and 1 gave up after 3 days. All the same instructor so I really don't think he was to blame.

We had 1 friend in group 1 and he had fun too. A couple of English were also in his group.

I would think that like with all ski school there are good and bad instructors. But I've had 5 out of 5 good ones with CM.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Always been very good at Tignes (ESF implant in the club). Have had the same instructor several years running and he remembers us by name, but all the others have been fine too.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Poor at La Plagne. ESF instructors, but operating from within the Club Med, so Club Med clients only. Class size too big (between 11 and 13 in my class). Very much 'follow me', with the occassional stop to demonstrate some technique. No individual feedback.

To be fair it did seem as though the instructor viewed his job as showing us round the resort with a few tips thrown in. He took us to some places which I wouldn't have found myself. He also arranged for a GS course to be set up (on an easy piste) for a morning at the classes request.

i did a full trip report here:-

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=74206
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Poor at La Plagne. ESF instructors, but operating from within the Club Med, so Club Med clients only. Class size too big (between 11 and 13 in my class). Very much 'follow me', with the occassional stop to demonstrate some technique. No individual feedback.

Spud9, In Serre Che. I also went into the third group. Within that group there was an a or b option. One was for technique and the other was touring. Did you have this choice or perhaps did not know of the option available? Just a thought as our instructor in Serre Che. was quiet attentive to our technique. I am considering Club Med La Plagne for next year as I love the whole Club Med thing. A couple of questions:
1. Is it ski in & out. In S.C. you could ski right to the boot room door and down to main lift in the morning.
2. Was there an attack of Gastro whilst you were there. It was pretty bad in S.C. this year.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
palumbex, Yes to Ski In-Ski Out. The Club is right on a piste. Note there's 2 Club Meds at La Plagne, I was at the cheaper one in Aime La Plagne. I believe the other one is ski in-ski out as well though, and no, there was no attack of Gastro.

There was also a 3a and 3b option, but from the descriptions it seemed they were only differentiated by standard.I put myself into the lower of the two, but got 'promoted'.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spud9, Thanks for the info.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the information everyone. Very detailed and informative and a great help indeed! The prices seems very good for a family of four and whilst I'm not a clubbable sort of a fellow I could give this a whirl! Refreshingly, the Club Med experience appears to be devoid of the English well heeled yobs that pervade the chalet scene nowadays!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy