Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to sharpen a plexi glass wax scrapper?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm out in Austria at the moment and have been having real trouble scraping wax off the base of my skis. I've worked out that my scrapper is blunt. Anyone any tips for sharpening one?

I don't have loads of tools here but have some. I was going to use the side edge file to sharpen the scrapper but I don't want to knacker that in the process. How about sandpaper?

Thanks
Kersh
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kersh, I have been using sandpaper to sharpen mine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
a sharp ski edge does it!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just use a 10" flat b astard file, your edge file will probably be a bit short to get a perfectly flat edge on your scraper but if its all you have it will not do any harm for the short term
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i use my edge file...its fine
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Finish off (ooo errr missus) with fine wet and dry paper (eg 600 grit upwards) on a flat surface for a really sharp edge.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Or splash out on one of these http://www.shop.coldrivermfg.com/product.sc?productId=14
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
or let the snow scrape it off, unless there's a big dump of powder; artificial snow does the job particularly fast.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kevindonkleywood, +1, we have a nice plastic angle to house it in too, keeps them sweet, that said, they're cheap enough to replace aren't they???
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just use sandpaper. It's cheap, it's simple and it's more then enough for this thing. Wink

pam w wrote:
or let the snow scrape it off, unless there's a big dump of powder; artificial snow does the job particularly fast.

Or just don't bother to wax then. It saves you even some extra time, and your skis will do just as bad as when letting snow "scrap off" your wax. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is a 'wax scrapper' a candle that goes fighting? Little Angel
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.snowandrock.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=TOK005300
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, I'm with you. I waxed all our skis before the week we have just done and didn't bother with the scrape. I did not notice anybody losing out in the flat schuss drag race.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm not sure if I even bother to explain for 1000s time why scraping off excess wax is necessary. Well I am sure... I don't care about thi. For anyone who cares about their skis, scraping is must, for rest of you, do whatever you want with your skis. They are not mine so I'm fine with this. Confused
latest report
We used to scrape - and a ghastly mess it made, too, until getting skis serviced and waxed at the end of the season, at the local ski shop. I asked what to do at the beginning of the next season and the guy just shrugged and said no need to scrape - snow will soon do job.

And so it did. I am just a recreational skier and I did then experiment with one scraped, one not, put them on at random and tried to decide which was which, and couldn't. So for us peasants, what's the problem? If there's a genuine problem I'd be glad to know about it (and I do know that in certain snow conditions - very, very, rare ones this season, this approach doesn't work).
ski holidays
Kersh,

I agree with one of the other postings you can just use a course file (as long as you have a radius at one end of the plexi scraper so the scraper doesn’t jam when you sweep against the file).

A good method is - place file flat on table, position 2 x 4 block of wood parallel and butted up along side file. Place plexi onto file with side face against block of wood, hold file on table solid with left hand and holding plexi against block of wood sharpen keeping file solid and sliding block with plexi against the file on table - this method will ensure you try to get as close to 90' angle on plexi and also just makes everything alot more solid and 'slip injury free' - plexi must have radius at one end for this to work - to lead the plexi into file - have use this method many times in the field and it works.

There’s always a debate on wax, scrape, brush should I etc etc - and some guys (as above) have very strong views - I posted some info on this subject a while back and was very much hammered so I will post what I personally have seen (but this is for info only).

1. Racer/Skier - arrives at training with travel wax still on base, light scrape because no bench and does not want to damage structure with wrong amount of pressure on base in the carpark - visible wax still in structure and some amount in base.
Training stint in the morning - no issues, checked base after first few runs and glazed as though has been brushed out.
Conditions were cold (-15 down) and snow aggressive - if this was late training with high moisture content then for sure this would be different story.

2. Racer/Skier - waxed, roto brushed night before and brushed again in the morning - same conditions, same training ground, checked base, same glazed effect.

From a service tech point of view - for sure scraping and brushing and more brushing is key to enabling the base to have optimum glide, this is what I teach and this is how it works - scraping and brushing is key for quick ski.

From a recreational skiers point of view – if you are not too concerned and cannot feel the difference in cold, aggressive snow conditions – go for it, try it out and see!

This approach however will not work in high snow moisture content though! Also I expect someone will post at some point about wax being pulled from the base if left on - again this has been talked to death on many forums both here and stateside but is mixed with so many different variables it’s a post for another day.

I think though from a recreational skiers point of view as long as there is not a massive amount of build up of wax on the base – try it out and see, if it works for you, it works – happy days.
snow report
Thanks for everyone's responses on this. While I was away, I went to a shop in Austria and bought a new scrapper for 3 Euro! I left the new one there and brought the blunt one home to sharpen here.

As for not scraping the bases and letting the snow do it, Spyderjon told me to scrape and brush so that's what I'm doing. However, there must be an argument to not leave excess wax all over the piste and mountain. Can't be that good for the environment to let the snow remove it? If you've got too much wax on your base, surely it's better to spend 2 minutes to scrape it off and put it in the bin than leave it for the cows to eat in the summer?

Thanks again ... Off out to buy a file to sharpen my scrapper.

Cheers
Kersh
snow report
Kersh,

Quote:

argument to not leave excess wax all over the piste and mountain

Good point some waxes are 'not nice' and they are hardly bio friendly
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy