Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do I need new boot liners and how do I get them?

Poster: A snowHead
I have a a pair of Head Dream Thang 10 boots bought in autumn 2007 at the last snowheads bootfitting day at Lockwoods. When I got them they were very snug indeed but bedded in after about a week's sking and were uber-comfortable while still snug until this season. I really felt the responsiveness of the skis and never had any foot movement at all.

Up till now I have only had to crank them tighter a little bit during the day as they warm up and once they were on and fastened never needed to loosen them until back in the boot room at the end of the day. I've skied about 12 weeks in them, maybe a bit more.

This season I have had to really crank them up, about 4 notches on the calf (even after having moved the buckle bit in a notch to make a tighter fit) , 2-3 on the ankle and 2 on the foot (used to be only on notch 1 on ankle and foot with a little micro adjustment). I have been having heel lift and a distinct feeling that I might do a "superman" out of the boot in some cases!). If I crank them too soon I get cramp but if I don't tighten them up I don't feel they are secure.

So, do I need new liners? How do I get them and how will I go about fitting? (or do I need new boots - the shells are fine, though)

thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
are you sure your feet are not shrinking Smile

till some real boot people come along look at the zipfit website

http://www.zipfit.com/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kevindonkleywood, my feet are definitely not shrinking LOL - although I did go down half a shoe size some years ago after weight loss.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need new liners.

Real boot people will give precise advise shortly I'm sure but as an ordinary punter, all I can say I was in exactly your position bootswise about six weeks ago.

After much indecisiveness, I went to see Profeet in West London and they gave me three options - 1 and 2 involved new customised liners in the old shells, 3 was a new pair of boots.

I chose new liners. It was expensive (the same as a new pair of boots!) but as soon as I skied in them I knew it was worth every single penny.

There will be other places besides Profeet which offer the same service.

You won't regret it!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx, I got some recently for my Salomons, if you remember they were causing me pain in December, after about 15 weeks use. Lockwoods sorted me with some Salomon ones for about £50. They feel like new boots again now.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Probably best to do a shell test just to make sure the boots aren't too big.

Quote:
When you buy new boots, do a shell test to verify that you have the right size: remove the liner and put your foot in the shell: move your foot forward until your toes just touch the front of the shell. If you have 1 to 1.5 finger thicknesses between the back of your heel and the inside of the back of the shell (fingers stacked on top of each other, not side-by-side), then you have the right size. If not, return the boots and get another size. If the finger test works, the boot will probably feel too tight when you first put your foot in it: this is good, because it will pack out after a few days to the perfect size. You can wear the boot while watching TV to get a jump on the pack-out time.

http://www.alpinecarving.com/bootfitting.html
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd go and see a bootfitter. We can all have a guess on this stuff, but the simple reality is that they need to see and feel it to tell you what the best fix is.

No point spending £200 on new liners all custom made and everything to find out after another few weeks skiing that your boots are the wrong size/shape.

I've had a bit of heel lift before, which was rectified with a couple of foam pads about 1 inch by 2 inches stuck to the outside of the liner around the achilles. It was a short term fix for a small amount of heel lift, but it was free. Sounds like you need something more drastic, but a fitter is the answer.

From Chelmsford it isn't a million miles to Bicester. Might be worth the trip.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx, If you come out to Bicester let me know and I can meet you for lunch Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Linds, do you live in Bicester?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Monium, I've noticed some heel lift this year when I really pushed myself over the front of the skis. I was skiing an all mountain ski and was giving it some welly over the front to get a better edge on hard piste. I had boot trouble for years and really love the pair I have now. Did the pads sort your heel problem permanently? Was it a DIY job?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Linds wrote:
holidayloverxx, If you come out to Bicester let me know and I can meet you for lunch Very Happy
Let me know too and we could make it a threesome Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another pair of socks ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ibex wrote:
Monium, I've noticed some heel lift this year when I really pushed myself over the front of the skis. I was skiing an all mountain ski and was giving it some welly over the front to get a better edge on hard piste. I had boot trouble for years and really love the pair I have now. Did the pads sort your heel problem permanently? Was it a DIY job?

The pads sorted the problem, but at the same time my boots are not completely packed out yet - they have since gone a bit further (another 3 weeks of skiing) and heel lift is rearing its head again. Fundamentally my boots are probably too big.

It was a kind of DIY job. I got the foam from a boot fitter, and cut it and placed it myself based on seeing it done to other boots.

The other thing I have which I may try out is a lace up thing that pulls the liner closer to my foot and ankle - they had a decent effect short term, but not sure if they are a long term solution. For £17 they were worth a go. Made by Sidas I think.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All. thanks for the advice. The boots themselves aren't too big and were properly fitted by Lockwoods under the supervision of CEM and Smallzookeeper.

I feel a trip to Bicester coming on before the EoSB
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm a snowboarder and have owned my existing pair (Salomon Dialogues) since 2006 - I was out in Tignes last week and for the first time in this period my little toe (left foot) was aching badly after less than 3 hours on piste. I had to stop and take the suspect boot off for 15 minutes at a time more or less 3 times / day. I even resorted to buying new pairs of socks at 48 Euros a pop. I presume this is due to the liner getting worn over the years?
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, If you go for Zipfits it could take a good few days for them to bed in and be anywhere near comfortable. Get them sooner rather than later and try and bed them in first, or you may suffer big time. Once they're bedded in they're fantastic and super comfy.
snow report
Spyderman, I've PMd CEM and I could get there next week if he can fit me in, so that should leave some time to let them bed in
snow report
holidayloverxx, the first few days of wearing my new boots with Zipfits last season were pretty agonising when getting the boots on - but after that brilliant. I did think towards the middle of last year that I would need to move the clips as I got to the last but one clippy thing - but they have been fine all this year. The Zipfits really seem to hold my feet in place - and worth every penny - well lots of them! (fitted by CEM)
ski holidays
Pamski, ditto. Solved the difficulty of getting them on by removing the ZipFit laces. Will put them back in if and when the liners start to pack down and require to be tightened. (No need yet, after six to eight weeks of skiing.)
snow conditions
franga, depends on how many days you have put on them?
snow conditions
Monium, Thanks, will look into it.
latest report
kevindonkleywood - probably 20 days in total (doesn't seem that long to me).

Thanks
snow conditions
Hurtle, oh I have always kept the laces in and now really pull them tight - that's after all of last year, except February, and similar this year. But unlike lots of people on here we don't ski 9 to 4.30 every day! Every day - but not all day.
snow report
I put the Zipfits on first, lace them tight, then put the shell on.
snow conditions
Quote:

properly fitted by Lockwoods under the supervision of CEM and Smallzookeeper.

holidayloverxx, is there a word for an overload of bootfitters? wink
snow conditions
pam w wrote:

holidayloverxx, is there a word for an overload of bootfitters? wink

A Pork Pie Fest
snow conditions
After buying some professionally fitted Atomic M Tech 80 boots from Profeet and skiing in them for just 30 days, I could no longer get my boots tight enough for my skinny ankles and calves.

Maximilian Schubert of Profeet advised me that boot manufacturer's original liners generally last for 60 days worth of skiing. He told me a custom fitted liner would last for 300 skiing days, provide a completely custom fit around the foot and ankle, as well as a more responsive skiing experience. He also said that all the technicians from the Profeet shop ski with custom liners.

I took his advice and had a custom goo-injected liner fitted. It made a massive difference to my level of control and instantly took my skiing to a new level of ability and enjoyment.
ski holidays
Sounds like he's a good salesman wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Off to the pie shop next Thursday (via Bcester Village....)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy