Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski length.......height or weight?

Poster: A snowHead
It’s finally time for new ski’s and I will be taking various pairs out for a test in one of the Uk’s fridges, however having narrowed down the ski’s that I’m going to test I find myself confused as to what length I should be looking at.

All information I find points towards going for a ski that length puts it somewhere between your chin and forehead, however being reasonably tall but very light weight, surely I should purchase a ski length based more on my weight rather than height? After all a ski can tell your weight as it flexes through it but not your height. Am I right in thinking more along the lines of my weight or should I be going off my height?

The ski’s I’m going to demo are the Scott Mission, Salomon Lord and Fischer Watea 84 and the Movement Jam. I’m 6 ft 1 but only weigh 61kg, with this in mind, any advice what length ski should I be skiing? Also would any of the above ski's be considered too stiff for my weight?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i'd guess like 174. you're not THAT light
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
174cm? Haha

Ski length is measured by ego...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Will77, I can't help you with that, but the people who can might like to know what kind of skiing you like to do, and how good you are.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks pam w, I could do with abit of help. I guess it would be a 60/40 or 70/30 split between piste and off piste, it's difficult to gauge depends on the conditions and depends how I'm feeling. My skiing is not too bad, reasonably aggressive (although I'm probably abit more relaxed with it these days) , have skied for the last 20 years on and off during this time, generally 14 to 20 days on snow a year and I was lucky enough to spend 8 weeks in Whistler over a decade ago................always looking to improve technique through tuition.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Weight more important than height, I think you already work that one out, a ski can't tell what height the rider is but can definitely feel the weight! Height can play a small factor, taller people have longer levers but weight and ability is the best place to start.
Out of our group last season 3 of us were skiing 177 lords, our heights ranged from 5'8" in thick socks " me" to over 6' but similar weights 70-75 kilos. At this length I found the lords surprisingly easy due to the rocker on & off and definitely not too stiff.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Height is more important, weight a factor.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
With that sort of ski, you probably want something around 175-180.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Will77 - if you have the opportunity why don't you choose one of your demos in a length right outside the box (say 190/195)?
I'm not up with the exact performance characteristics of your demo skis but at worst such a tactic may establish once and for all what you don't want and at best you may discover a whole new world of turning.
Personally - and admittedly contrary to all modern advice - I like a bit of length out back (oooh missus!).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Will77, I'm 5'10" and 11st and recently hired 158 piste slalom skis - much shorted than I usually have and LOVED them...

Go short on piste
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pdx, clarky999, Given that Will is 9st 8lbs, he's is really light for that height. 175-180 is probably a litle too long for 70/30 or 60/40.

Will77, for the skis you are mentioning, look closer to the 170 range, with 174/5 being the longest you shoud go.

If you wanted to be 40/60 or 30/70 then venture to the next size per ski model up.

to answer you question more directly, re weight and height, your weight will have the most bearing on the lenght you shoudl choose. a 90Kg person and a 60 Kg person float very differently on the same ski. the larger the surface area, the lesser the presure per sq (cm, inch, unit), the greater the float

separately, a 90Kg person will simply be stronger and more able to command the skis vs a 60 Kg person - of similar level of fitness with regard to size and shape of course.

a ski that is loo long for a light person will not be as easy to control as one that still provides enough float but is shorter and easier to swing.

eg; i am 6', 12st (13 with pack), and float happily on 177 recons, 170 xplorers, 170 xwing furys, and - with a little more skill invovled - 165 66mm waisted SL race skis. All of which can tear up the piste
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Will77, I'm 5' 6" and around 9 stone 4. Offpiste skis for me are 180, touring 174 and on piste 50/50 169. All of these lengths are largely based on what I could find at the time... so I'd start around 174/5 to demo.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ski, what are you using for off piste and touring?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

pdx, clarky999, Given that Will is 9st 8lbs, he's is really light for that height. 175-180 is probably a litle too long for 70/30 or 60/40.

Missions and Lords are soft enough that it shouldn't be an issue, plus it will only help offpiste.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks to everybody for all the input and ideas. I think a softish ski will help because of my weight, thats why I've drawn up the shortlist that I have and I had been thinking that demo skis between the 170 and 180 mark would be what I should be aiming for. I know demoing in one of the UK fridges isn't ideal but at least it will give me a feel for the skis I test. I would demo and buy in resort but I think buying in the UK will be cheaper.

ski, I'd also be interested to know what skis you have in your quiver?
latest report
Height is a factor due to your centre of mass over the skis, weight will effect the flex at lower speeds and floatation etc. Height over weight.

If you ski hard and fast it doesn't matter how stiff the ski is, providing you put enough into it. Some people simply ski more aggressivley than others.

I am 5' 8'' 68kg and ski on 182-186 off piste, 174-178 Park and 170-177 on piste. My pure out and out toruing skis are 170 as a compromise.

All the skis you mentioned are decent enough, Scott Mission woudl be my choice with Movement and Fischer 2nd and Salomon lord following closely behind. Skiied them all and each have their place.

Unfortuantely you wont build up enough speed inside many of the UK freezers to get a good test and you will probably prefer the softest in there, however it may help you personally.
ski holidays
Jimmythefoot, would be interested in what you ski off-piste n' all! Little Angel
ski holidays
slikedges, Ah my weapons of choice be...
Off - 182 Head Johnny 94 (Replaced 182 Scott Punisher), 183 Dynafit Stokes (For pow touring) and a battered 186 (I think 186-they are almost dead) Volkl Gotama
Park - 178 Scott P3
On - Head Magnum 170, Head Titan 177 (Me and a friend switch between for piste days)
Touring - 170 Dynafit Broad Peak
snow report
slikedges, Will77, Off piste - Coombaks 180, Touring Dynastar Altitrail Wide (74mm underfoot - v old) 174,When it's not fluffy enough for the Coombaks - Stockl Rotor 169, Telemark (everywhere) Solly Xwing fury 180. Also plastic skis at 155. Please see my weight above - I'm a stone heavier than I mentioned yesterday.
snow report
Hi Jimmythefoot, nice to see you back on the forum, its interesting that SMALLZOOKEEPER, comments above about height went a little un noticed until another boot fitting expert came along to the thread.

From my time on skis height is very important, and the better and strong skier you are plays a greater role in what lenght you go to, Jimmy is so right when it comes to aggresive skiers demanding more length.

The however is that many skis declared lengths these days bear no relationship to there skiing length, its important to look at the effective edge length of the ski as well, plus all the other factors of the ski.

My son is a good case at 5' 11" and 76kg the big factor for him is that he skis at mach 2 most of the time over the whole mountain so as a min he skis 185 and 180 in the park.

Is there a correct answer to the question, probably not Puzzled
ski holidays
Jimmythefoot, ski, thanks!

Jimmythefoot, how do you like the Johnnys? Are they very heavy? How are they in pow and through crud? What about edge to edge and carving properly on piste?
ski holidays
Almost all of the above seem to long to me. I'd start long and work your way down to a ski that you find comfortable. You are demoing them, and frankly one ski in 170 might be the same as another in 180 in terms of skill and comfort.

To buck the trend, I am skiing stiff 167s and am 5'11" and 100kg. I love skis at about that length, and there are very few downsides to me. A lot of the above comments are from experienced skiiers who are basically having a bit of a dick measuring contest over how long they can go. Ski what you find comfortable. You will know in a second if you are testing skis whether they are too long to be right for you.
snow report
Your height should affect the length of the ski, your weight the stiffness
snow conditions
Depends also on skiing style - short turns dancing around lumps and bumps = short skis, big fast turns smashing through lumps and bumps = long skis. FWIW, whilst some bigger skis might seem intimidating in wanting to make bigger turns, they are also more stable so it's easier to ski like that. To a point, anyway.
snow report
lynseyf wrote:
Your height should affect the length of the ski, your weight the stiffness

what she said...

I have 2 pairs of skis that are very similar in size but ski very diferently...
head monster im88 186's are 89mm wide
scott punisher 191's are 90 wide
The punishers are much softer and easier to turn the heads are better for longer faster turns though crud...
snow conditions
You also don't say what sex you are - assuming male from the name. I might get shot down for this but consider womens skis as they are designed around a lighter frame? e.g mrs sweaman who is 5'10" and 55kg swears by K2 womens line up. Although bearing in mind previous comments women have a different center of gravity (again a tentative statement) so that also makes a difference.
ski holidays
sweaman2 wrote:
You also don't say what sex you are - assuming male from the name. I might get shot down for this but consider womens skis as they are designed around a lighter frame? e.g mrs sweaman who is 5'10" and 55kg swears by K2 womens line up. Although bearing in mind previous comments women have a different center of gravity (again a tentative statement) so that also makes a difference.

The centre of gravity thing is supposed to affect the mounting position I think, a lot of women's skis are mounted further forward although obviously not all women will like this. If you buy a flat ski this wouldn't a problem as you could mount it anywhere. The only women's ski I own I have mounted -1 as I don't like forward mounts, wish I had mounted it -2
snow report
So many factors, so little time...

I'm not at all convinced about your height being dominant over your weight. When it comes to calculating dynamic loads, total mass is far more likely to be dominant. But another even more dominant factor, as a few people have mentioned above, is speed. Dynamic loads increase dramatically with speed and so a fast aggressive skier will generally require a longer, stiffer ski regardless of their weight or height.

I'd say the hierarchy of factors to consider in choosing the appropriate ski length (for any given category of ski e.g. piste, off-piste, park, touring etc.) is speed/aggression > weight > height

That's why testing in a UK fridge at low speed is likely to favour a shorter and softer ski than you may well prefer out on a mountain - unless of course you still ski at fridge speeds out on the mountain Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For moderate speeds on piste height is not an issue, and weight really only affects the stiffness of the ski. For more agressive skiing on piste height has a more of an effect. For skiing soft stuff both weight (for float) and height (lever effect when hitting variable conditions) have a major effect. So as I am 181cm tall and 90+kg in weight, my "quiver" constitutes:
Dry slope and UK snowdomes: 155cm race stock slalom skis.
Outdoor piste (and Landgraaf): 165cm race stock slalom skis for turny stuff, 188cm GS skis for hooning (I'm happy at 60-100km/hr on the GS skis, but wouldn't like taking the SL skis that fast).
Outdoor off-piste: 191cm, 97mm underfoot. Could go a bit shorter if a little fatter, but wouldn't ever go below 184/5cm as too prone to submarine.

When on holiday I'm mostly off piste, so take the 191s. If I were going on a week when I knew I'd only be on piste, and general purpose skiing, I'd take the 165s...., probably, although the GS skis are huge fun - but it's not really practical to open them up and let them go if the pistes are likely to be busy.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy