Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slush / Spring Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Picked up from another thread

James the Last wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Don't worry though, slush and spring snow are the most fun things to ski after powder.

Puzzled

Do you love or hate these conditions? Many are venturing to "the bits just off the piste" but when it's gets slushy a lot give up on the day. Aren't slushy pistes great for learning how to ski powder? if so why aren't more people doing it?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Slushy bumps too!! Looking forward to Easter Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
love slush and slushy bumps!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I kinda like slushy bumps once I gave up trying to steer around them and decided to push through them. This does make controlling my speed a little tricky as there are no easy places to scrub it off.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bumpy slush! ooh ooh ooh
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, but the right skis help. Need something beefy, I think.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spring snow is probably the easiest condition to ski in - love it
slush is also fun but not quite so easy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spring snow presents quite different conditions to slush. It needs the right melt, refreeze cycle to put it in place. And then the window may only be a few hours, before it gets too soft. But it ois a fantastic surface to ski on.

Bouncing around on slushy bumps is great fun too, but not quite as smooth as spring snow.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Poor mans powder, love it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Love it, hard in the morning, perfect for a few hrs, followed by slush on the lower runs towards the end of the day. All the snow conditions in one day.................what could be better? Oh yeah POW. But you can get that also during spring skiing.

The wife and i always ski till at least 4pm at the end of march/april and we both enjoy slush bumps on the runs back to the village. Slush skiing is fun, especialy when its nice and sugary.

Last week in march is my fave time to ski.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
depthjunkie wrote:
Love it, hard in the morning, perfect for a few hrs, followed by slush on the lower runs towards the end of the day..

Just delete the lower, change few to couple, and change end of the day to after 11am and you have skiing in Australia...

By end of the day in Spring you are water skiing... In fact in Spring you grass ski a LOT and mud ski quite a bit... bush skiing is optional but gets you to the best skiing...

Corn needs a few freeze thaw cycles and to be undisturbed during them... then it is like skiing on melting icecream - creamy and gorgeous if you get it at the right time, a sloppy mess if you leave it too long...

Corn, snowgums, black cockatoos, flame robins... Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I suspect that in general people who can ski slush can ski powder. Slush is great training for powder skiing, what's underneath you is no longer hard or stable, good fore/aft balance and a more even weighting of the feet is required. If you want to be skiing powder next year then don't give up when the it gets slushy, get out there. e.g. If you are normaly tired at the end of the day start skiing a bit later. Book a private lesson when it is slushy.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB, yup.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Spring snow presents quite different conditions to slush

nozawaonsen, when people talk of "spring snow" is that the big sugar-crystals type of snow? Lovely stuff.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, it's what the Austrians refer to as 'Firnschnee', which is a layer, at most a few cm thick, of semi molten snow on top of a frozen base. By it's nature it's a condition that only lasts for a couple of hours a day on any particular slope, and you can often end up following the firn around the resort as the sun softens up slopes with different aspects at different times of the day.
Gliding on Firn is almost better than powder skiing. Well, maybe not quite... But definitely better than sex!
ski holidays
Firn, corn, spring snow - lovely stuff.

Slush on the other hand I don't like quite so much. Definitely skiable, definitely not something I would seek out particularly.

Lovely firn with gorgeous sunshine, warmer temperatures, typically great visibility, no crowds and longer days are definitely a huge plus for ''spring skiing''.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Yes, but the right skis help. Need something beefy, I think.

They do help but you don't need wide beefy skis when traveling at resonable speeds. (I get away skiing on light touring skis). Variable "non-hard" snow picks out the flaws in your technique / balance and gives you instance feedback albeit sometimes in the form of a milli-second take-down. Think of it as the slush teaching you how to ski powder. Toofy Grin
With the high temps now is the ideal time to get your slush-assisted powder training in. snowHead
snow report
After the hard 'icy' like pistes in Les Arcs at the end of January I am looking forward to the slushy spring snow we will find in VT at Easter. The morning boiler plate corduroy after the night frost will doubtless jangle the fillings in the teeth, but unlike Les Arcs at least the hard conditions won't last all day in April (I am expecting it warm up!!) and for a few hours it should be quite OK to ski on esp. up a bit higher. When it gets really slushy it gets a bit heavy, but to my mind that is still infinitely preferrable to the Les Arcs conditons. What I will add is that I've found slush much easier to ski on my new heavier and wider skis. The Wave Magics (68mm) used to cut through the surface too much and were not heavy enough to push the slushy mounds out of the way. The Magfire Ti's at 78mm and much heavier and far less flexible. I find in churned up and rough and slushy conditions they seem to push the slush to one side and the extra width seems to cut into it less. I much prefer them as weapons in slushy (and also in powdery) conditions. They are not as nippy and manoeuverable as the little skis were, but these days I would chose the Magfires rather than the WaveMagics in my skiing in all conditions. Maybe the fact that I can now consciously appreciate the differences in the skis means my skiing is growing up!
ski holidays
Quote:

Think of it as the slush teaching you how to ski powder

I shall - good thinking. snowHead
snow report
What about skiing slush when you don't know how to ski powder? Should I be filling in my insurance claim now?
ski holidays
We had lots of this in austria towards the end of the week.

Being a relative beginner (80% parralell 20% snowplough) i enjoyed it more than the groomed slope. Found it more challenging!
snow conditions
Not keen personally. Admittedly snow is snow and I'm just happy for opportunities to ski but I'm rubbish at slush. I hate the moment where you stop dead in a big mound of mashed potato and almost go over the handlebars. It's the keeping going that I struggle with. Probably a fitness thing, i.e. I'm not.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Yes, but the right skier helps. Need someone talented, I think.
Fixed it for you...

Like the rest of skiing, it is about 90% the pilot and 10% the equipment.

The same people I hear say that "things got good once the powder got packed down" will likely say it was too icy in the morning and too slushy in the afternoon during the spring.
snow conditions
I practice skiing on slush at Hemel Confused
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy