Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nice towns to stop at on drive to alps?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not a skiing holiday, but we're staying near AdH for our summer holiday this year. I've booked the ferry for Saturday morning, and our accommodation isn't available until Sunday, doing the same on the return (leave Sunday, ferry Monday evening). So was planning to drive a fair chunk of the journey, stay overnight somewhere and carry on the journey. We're in no real rush to get down to AdH so would like to stay somewhere that's nice, a bit to do/see if we go for a wander.

Last time we did this we stopped at a town called Chaumont, which was just a random pick, and it turned out to be quite a nice little town. On the way back we drove cross country staying overnight in Orleans.

Any recommendations of nice towns to stop at for an overnighter on the way there/back?
Was thinking of Dijon on the way down, and Reims on the way back. Are these nice cities? Or are there any hidden gems someone can recommend?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hammerite, Have you see this sticky http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=28639 - we've found it useful when doing the same as you driving to the Haute Savoie in the summer.

We've stayed overnight, on different trips, in a couple of places just outside Paris (Bussy St Georges and Torcy) but they were chosen because we had a) a day at Euro Disney and b) a day in Paris, as they are on the train line and it's all very easy. We stayed in Troyes last year, on the way home, and it's nice but odd! Some parts seem very old and genuinely so; other parts made me feel we were back in Euro Disney. Haven't been to Reims or Dijon, as we didn't think we'd have time to spend usefully seeing the town. However, if you have any interest in modern art (Jean Cocteau in particular) I can recommend a visit to Milly La Foret, just south of Paris
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hammerite,

On a recent trip we stayed at Chaumont on the way out, and Beaune on the way back. There is an Ibis hotel near the centre (there are two, make sure you get the centre one) of Beaune which is conveniently situated within walking distance of the walled town, which is beautiful.

Langres is another hilltop walled town, not far from Dijon, well worth a look.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Trenmold, and Anniepen, - I thought there'd be a thread already of this subject - should have used the search function.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lyons is worth a visit if you don't mind cities.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Chalon-sur-Soane, Macon, Tournous are all interesting towns to visit and all an easy day drive from Calais - leaving a shorter drive the next day.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Beaune is nice. Especially if you like wine.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lyon has a great Roman museum and amphitheatre. Beaune has the Marché aux Vins.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have a look at Annecy for the outbound journey. I'm not sure if it is actually on the way but it is in the right area.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the suggestions.

Beaune looks a good contender. I actually don't like wine, and as we're travelling down to AdH to do a triathlon I'll be on the wagon until after the race anyway. The OH can get stuck in though, I'll just be allocated driver Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

AdH to do a triathlon

Blimey..............impressive! Bad enough a triathlon at sea level but at altidude my budgie-lungs would kick-in good style.
wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Beaune also has some very good restuarants, have a great meal to accompany some great wine.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markymark29 wrote:
Quote:

AdH to do a triathlon

Blimey..............impressive! Bad enough a triathlon at sea level but at altidude my budgie-lungs would kick-in good style.
wink

Well I am starting to brick it slightly! http://www.alpetriathlon.com/2011/AN/longue-distance.htm
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy