Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria in July

Poster: A snowHead
We have gone skiing the last few years, flown into Munich and drove to Lofer. Love this area in the winter however, I would love to return in July. Just wondering are there any resorts better in the summer.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lots of great resorts in the summer really depends what you are looking for though. Most resorts have a least one lift open giving great access to walking and mountain biking.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Just wondering are there any resorts better in the summer

any resort which is a proper place, where people live all year round, is probably wonderful in the summer. Having a lift to take some of the hard work out of higher mountain walking is very lazy, but pleasant! We like going to our place just as much in summer (and late spring, and autumn) as in winter.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
2waterford, try Mayrhofen. Tons to do there (active or otherwise), fairly lively at night (unlike most other places) and just 14k up the valley you might be OK for some morning skiing at Hintertux. Zell am See works for similar reasons.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It depends what you want: some easy walking, hiking, more difficult hiking, access by cable-car, mountain biking, para-gliding, just somewhere with some good views, lots of restaurant choices, etc.

I have, for example, walked up Kitzbüheler Horn (peak 2000m) on a sunny summer day. The view is fantastic, the restaurant at the top was open, some people were coming up by cable car instead and a few by mountain bike too.

Garmisch is another good choice in summer from Munich.

Larger towns like Garmisch or Kitzbühel have events during the summer too, but they always seem very quiet compared with winter.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
2waterford, Ski Welt area is lovely in summer
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We are off to Saalbach in August. Third time in the Summer. 4 lifts in Saalbach/Hinterglemm open up some stunning walking and biking terrain. Cool
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
2waterford, like Nomis says, Garmisch is a really nice place in summer, as is Kitzbühel, or a ton of other places in the Alps. I spend most of my time doing MTB around Garmisch, if that's what you are into then there are endless possibilities! The walk up to the Zugspitze is interesting, and you can combine it with MTB for the first part up Reintal...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We're off to St Wolfgang for a week then a wek in Zell am See. Some good prices in Zell for 4* half board. Zell is good for swimming, walking, cycling (but gondola doesn't let you take bikes up) sailing, canoing etc. Some good castles to visit (Hohe Werfen, Where Eagles Dare) mines to visit, aerial assault course at Kaprun. The Maiskogel Gondola at Kaprun takes bikes up. And of course you can SKI!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
The Maiskogel Gondola at Kaprun takes bikes up. And of course you can SKI
Yeah, more and more places are taking bikes now. The alps will soon be full of pooftas on full suspension rolling eyes
Skiing at that time of year is a lottery. You can get lucky and have a fresh dump, but on the whole it's just not worth it, and Kaprun in particular is quite limited in summer ( if open at all )
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm looking forward to my first summer in Austria this year, obstensibly doing my dissertation research but conveniently there's some awesome kayaking in the area wink . If you fancy some easy whitewater/touring in june/july near Innsbruck give me a shout!

Saalbach is supposed to be very good for mountain biking in the summer, you can see some of the trails from the Schattberg gondola. There's a very scary looking trail down from Nordkette above Innsbruck too, and I'm pretty sure there's a paragliding school up there too. And there should be skiing at the Stubai glacier.

There was an article posted somewhere failry recently (might ahve been here?) about some alpine park that floods for a few weeks each summer, apparently there's good diving there. I'm sure there'll be diving around Zell am See too, and in the Mond See in the Salzkammergut area.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Been to the Zell am See / Kaprun greater area a few times. Quite a great deal of the lifts are open, and there are many things to do and see. This region is in summer much more alive than other areas due to the lake, and of course the glacier, but als the Grossglockner.

In case you're driving in from Munich again, then it's just some 20 minutes south of Lofer.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I went to Zell am Ziller a few years ago.

Bought a pass they gave me a return lift everyday, use of train, buses and swimming pool.

One of the best hols I've had. Weather was great and views stunning.

Sitting in the pool at the end of a day looking up at the mountains was a highlight.....then getting out early and having a beer while the kids played.

Had a meal out for 3 with a couple of beers and would have change from 50 euros.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stayed in Kaprun a few years ago - lots to do.
Plan what you want to see and consider getting the Salzburg card for discounted/free entry.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ther's a card for free entry into lots of things on Zell am See/Kaprun. A lot of the hotels are handing them out free. We looked at staying at the Alpin Hotel in Zell, they also do free bike hire.

The Grand Hotel in Zell sometimes do a cracking deal on a 2 room suite where kids go free. It was 1400 Euro for a week half board 2 summers ago, last year I think it was much the same.

I have asked them if they are repeating this, but they are currently saying no, but I suspect they haven't got round to summer pricing yet and are just quoting the rack rent.

The Zum Hirschel (sp?) will do a family room for 4 for £950 a week half board in July, or £1400 if you want seaparate rooms for the kids (we did).
This includes free access tickets for the kids and free bike hore for kids (provided adults buy their own).

The sailing on the lake is good in the late afternoon and dinghy hire is reasonably priced.

Ok, I'm off, starting to sound like the Zell TO
snow conditions
Ive been to mayrhofen a couple of times in summer, zell, soll and most recently kaprun. Of the lot I would probably head back to the hof.
snow report
Austria (kaprun) july 2009.....!
snow conditions
We go to Austria every summer, love the place.

It's great to see the same place in summer that you were skiing a few months earlier!

We prefer to drive, although when I say "we", its "me" that does all the driving. You can take as much or as little luggage as you want.
We never book any accommodation, just the eurotunnel crossing. Arrive at a town and head to the Tourist info' office, and use them to find a room.

Sometimes we'll stay in same area for 2 weeks, other times we'll only stay a couple of days before moving on.
ski holidays
We're staying in Schladming for a week in August - the Dachstein glacier looks interesting. Also it's within striking distance of the new Red Bull Ring where I have freinds racing in GT Open. Razz
snow report
we go to St Johann in Tirol every winter and have gone in summer also for the last 4 years. Theres tons to do such as sky diving, paragliding, cycling, climbing, theres a high ropes course aswell just as you get off the gondal at middlestation.

On the 9th theres also a village fair called Jaggasn and on the 15th the Original Lederhosen Fest is on in the square of the village. Both are fantastic...

http://www.kitzalps.cc/en/welcome.html
http://www.mountain-high.at
ski holidays
Quote:

Saalbach is supposed to be very good for mountain biking in the summer

Not if you get distracted by a strange buzzing in your helmet, just as you're rapidly approaching a cattle grid half-way down the Kohlmais! (Ended up drinking beer through a straw through the hole in my bottom lip, whilst wondering whether to go and get it stitched!)

The videos on the Saalbach website and on Youtube give a good idea of what it's like in summer. Plenty to do apart from hurtling downhill with white knuckles and burning brakes!
snow conditions
1. Zell am See for a big lake.

2. Kitzbuehel for eating, drinking and shopping.

3. Hintertux for sliding.
snow report
Quote:

The alps will soon be full of pooftas on full suspension
Steilhang Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Yes, like me! You've gotta move with the times man! Or are you still on your 2 metre wooden skis with cable bindings and lace up leather ski boots Toofy Grin ?
ski holidays
Quote:

1. Zell am See for a big lake.
2. Kitzbuehel for eating, drinking and shopping.
3. Hintertux for sliding.
4. Stubaital for:
- Skiing on the Stubai Glacier.
- Staying in Neustift. What a gorgeous village. Probably my favourite after 20+ trips to Austria. Great access to hiking and easy bus commute to/from Innsbruck too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy