Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Road Trip to St Anton February 3 - 10th. Space for older guy

Poster: A snowHead
Hi.

Last year, 3 of us drove down to the Dolomites, and it went real well.

This year, we're driving to St Anton.

We have booked 2 twin rooms in Hotel Kirchplatz. It's in a great location, right in the centre, and at a good price: https://www.hotel-kirchplatz.at/index-en.html

Plan is to head to Dover from the Midlands(2 driving to mine from Newcastle area) after work on Friday 2nd, stop in Travelodge overnight, and go for a curry in Cinnamon Island.

Get an early Ferry, probably do Club Lounge again, so we get coffee breakfast etc, but we hived away quite a lot of sandwiches, drinks and snacks for later also.

Should get to St Anton at a reasonable time, traffic willing. It's only around 650 miles from Calais. Should manage 6pm with a bit of luck

7 night and 6 days Skiing in St Anton, then head back home Saturday. Not finalised plans for return journey yet. Last year we stopped in Ypres, and watched the ceremony at The Menin Gate. Probably do something different this year, but would go back if it wasn't a bit off route.

Hotel has cost £600
Ferry will be maybe £40 and fuel/tolls probably £150.
Lift pass I think is around £310
Travelodge was only about £20 each

Pretty fabulous trip for just over £1100, plus drinks and meals.

Hotel apparently does a fabulous breakfast, but we'll eat out in the evening.

Going in a Discovery Sport with roof box for skis and boots. One of us a young 63, and one 59, not sure the other guys age.

Edit.

For information. The third guy is 52 years old. We have decided we will go to Ypres on the way home. With a bit of luck, arrive in time to go to Flanders Field Museum, before going to the ceremony.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm one of the three goingon this trip.
It would be great to see another joining. FAB resort and the cost is amazing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds like a good trip. Consider Hull/ Rotterdam ferry if not booked Dover. Calais ferry already and sleep overnight in 2x cabin? We do that journey a lot and much prefer the drive down through Netherlands and Germany than France/ Luxembourg and all the U.K. side traffic around London/ Dartford M25 etc. Curry the night before a 10 hour stint in the car 4 guys a good idea?! wink have fun. Don’t forget to buy vignette as you enter Austria, and check your hotel has free pre-bookable parking. Expensive to park in St Anton. Also M&S winter tyres and snow chains.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Markymark29 wrote:
Sounds like a good trip. Consider Hull/ Rotterdam ferry if not booked Dover. Calais ferry already and sleep overnight in 2x cabin? We do that journey a lot and much prefer the drive down through Netherlands and Germany than France/ Luxembourg and all the U.K. side traffic around London/ Dartford M25 etc. Curry the night before a 10 hour stint in the car 4 guys a good idea?! wink have fun. Don’t forget to buy vignette as you enter Austria, and check your hotel has free pre-bookable parking. Expensive to park in St Anton. Also M&S winter tyres and snow chains.

Hi Mark.

Thanks for the advice. Definitely worth considering, I'll see what the other 2 think. I've taken the overnight to Holland many times, mostly with a motorbike - to The Hook though, not Rotterdam. We did stay in Dover last year, when we went down to Ortisei, and it worked fine(even with a curry the night before). Think it was the 6am ferry we got. Got to Ortisei around 6pm.

We also stopped in Ypres on the way back, but didn't have the best of journeys back, so got there just in time to see the end of the ceremony at Menin Gate. I fancied trying again to get there a bit earlier, and going to Flanders Field Museum before the ceremony. I'm always open to discussion and ideas though. I wasn't aware you needed a vignette for Austria, I thought only Switzerland.

The hotel Kronplantz does have free parking, and it will have Pirelli Scorpion Verde all season tyres, which are M&S. I do have snow chains also, damned heavy things. It's also 4 wheel drive.

I just checked the two routes:

Calais to St Anton 1030km, and 9:47 with tolls and also through Switzerland(I'd probably avoid that)

Rotterdam to St Anton 911km and 9:37. no tolls.

It does appear to be much more expensive though. P&O site down right now, but with DFDS it's around £800. Last year I got Dover/Calais ferry for £60 because I used Tesco vouchers and paid only 1/3 price(that's changed and I need £90 in vouchers to get 1/2 price this year). Triple room in Dover with unbelievably cheap, like £60 for a triple room.

Thanks again.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gilgamesh, no worries, your right the Hull/ Rotterdam isn’t the cheapest but it is the most convenient. I’d have thought that from where you all live it’d work. 4 guys all paying £100 more (by the time you factor in their own fuel) - anyway enjoy your trip.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Markymark29 wrote:
@Gilgamesh, no worries, your right the Hull/ Rotterdam isn’t the cheapest but it is the most convenient. I’d have thought that from where you all live it’d work. 4 guys all paying £100 more (by the time you factor in their own fuel) - anyway enjoy your trip.

Hi again Mark.

I've now found it's about £525 on PO, with a 4 berth cabin. That would be only about £100 more per person, but I forgot to factor in the hotel in Ypres last year, which was £50 each. That hotel was great though, exactly opposite Flanders Field Museum, about 1/4 mile from Menin Gate, and a fabulous breakfast. So basically the Hull/Rotterdam is only £50 each more.

But for this year at least, we're doing same again, as one of the guys who's going didn't go last year, and wants to go to Ypres anyway. I want to go again, just hoping to arrive a little earlier. Certainly worth a shout for another year. We're so enamoured with the place in St Anton, that there's a good chance we'll book again for for 2025, assuming it's as good as it looks.

Thanks again.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It’s as good as it looks!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Markymark29 wrote:
It’s as good as it looks!!

That's great to know.

Seems like a fun place, and infatuated with moustache's for some reason, so I've bought some false ones to play along.

Now booked this place in Ypres.

It's £47 per person in twin rooms, inc breakfast:

https://www.booking.com/hotel/be/regina.en-gb.html
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gilgamesh, I’ve been skiing there 25+ years and have never noticed the moustaches. Could be a Movember thing?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Markymark29 wrote:
@Gilgamesh, I’ve been skiing there 25+ years and have never noticed the moustaches. Could be a Movember thing?

I meant the hotel when I said I hope it's as good as it looks. I don't doubt St Anton will be great. I've personally never been, but one guy who's going has been several times.

I've skid all resorts around Kirchberg/Kitzbuel so Soll, Iter, Going, Elmau and many more. Also to Kaprun a few times, the glacier is amazing.

This is what I meant about moustaches:

https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=hotel%20kirchplatz
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This spot is now taken.

We still have space in a 6 bed apartment in Cervinia on 17 March, skiing often in Zermatt, weather permitting.

The post regarding this: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=165372
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi I am a long time St Anton devotee,in St Anton 10 - 17 Feb, staying in Nasserrein it would be nice to get a few turns in, with a few post ski beers.

Forst
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Forst wrote:
Hi I am a long time St Anton devotee,in St Anton 10 - 17 Feb, staying in Nasserrein it would be nice to get a few turns in, with a few post ski beers.

Forst

Shame you're 1 week too late for us.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd be interested in anyone bails from the Anton trip .
Cheers
Mark B
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
markaly wrote:
I'd be interested in anyone bails from the Anton trip .
Cheers
Mark B

Hi Mark.

Just missed the spot we had.

The guy who's taken it, isn't traveling with us, as he's in 3 Valleys the week before, so will meet us there. So we have a spot in the car, but not in the hotel. I could email the hotel and see if they have a single room if you like? I think I did originally ask for a triple, but they didn't have one.

Although the guy who's joining us is traveling separately, he is staying in Ypres with us on the way home. I do know that hotel has triple rooms, as we had one last year on the way back from Dolomites. So that should be OK, and we can get you there, it's just the hotel in St Anton. I first saw it in Sunweb, but noticed they had no dates at all for February. Turns out the hotel reserves all those, and we got lucky getting the 2 twin rooms. If you'd like me to enquire about a single room, just let me know.

Cheers, Steve
ski holidays
Hi Steve
Would appreciate that and the first round will be on me !
Cheers
Mark
ski holidays
markaly wrote:
Hi Steve
Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark

I did email Kirchplatz last night at 9:30pm. So far they haven't replied. Don't know if they're away or something. I'll give it a few days and try again.

Steve
snow conditions
markaly wrote:
Hi Steve
Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark

I did email Kirchplatz last night at 9:30pm. So far they haven't replied. Don't know if they're away or something. I'll give it a few days and try again.

Steve
snow report
Hi Mark.

Had a reply from Kirchplatz.

The only possibility is that we can change one of the double room petite into the apartment Top2. The price for week including breakfast would be €2462 for the 3 persons - so the total would be €3848.

Just tell me if I should change the booking for you. The apartment is the last room free for the week and in the double room petite is no extra bed possible.

Nice greetings from St Anton.

Katharina

So how I see it, the triple room is €1076 more expensive than the double petite. Since we're happy with double petite, that's would be down to you. Works out to £937.

Obviously a bit more than the £600 we're paying, but still a good price for a week in St Anton. Getting there(ferry and fuel)will be only £100.

Let me know what you think.

Steve
latest report
Hi Steve
Apologies for late reply
Many thanks for your offer but I think I'll look for a cheaper option .
Cheers
Mark
latest report
@markaly, PM'd you with a place well worth trying.
ski holidays
markaly wrote:
Hi Steve
Apologies for late reply
Many thanks for your offer but I think I'll look for a cheaper option .
Cheers
Mark

No worries Mark.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy