Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Limited half-term lift pass sales in Portes du Soleil?

Poster: A snowHead
Just received this e-mail, forwarded by my chalet host...apparently received by all Morzine tour operators:

Serma have just told us that they are limiting the number of lift passes for sale next week on account of the huge number of skiers expected for the half term week and the snow condition. We have bought our guests' passes for next week in advance just in case!

Never heard of this in 25 years skiing...time to panic?

(Luckily I've already bought my family pass)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
head_like_a_rock, Never heard of this before, is it simply a piece of marketing to get you to buy direct/early??
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's sounding utterly unlikely to me. Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds very unlikely. Surely you could buy a week's lift pass any time - they don't know when you're going to pitch up and use it? Also, why would a French ski resort speak about "the half term week" when there are weeks of "vacances scolaire".
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I used to have an apartment in Chatel and once heard this said in a bar one evening back in the early 90's when I was out in February with some mates. had no problem buying lift passes, I suspect it was a bit of a myth!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sounds like the 'Serre Chevalier is going to close the the end of the week' rumour I heard last Sunday.

I once asked one of my supervisors if the resort had an upper limit to capacity and whether there could come a point at which they would stop selling passes. The answer was no - how can they tell how many skiers are actually on the pistes at any time? Even if they've sold x passes, that doesn't mean there are x skiers out there all of the time - some of them will be in bed, having coffee, eating lunch, taking the day off, going to the market, not skiing until this afternoon, pissing about in the luge area with their toddler ............ etc.

Complete balderdash if you ask me.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard,absolute rubbish.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Happily I can confirm that the rumour is not true. There are no restrictions on lift passes planned. It's a myth that unhappily circulates from time to time as suggested above!

We have alerted the worried Tour Operators.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hells Bells, apparently Alpe d'Huez was about to close the week before that. Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This does happen in certain US resorts - usually stopping day ticket sales on busy holiday weekends and when limited terrain is open. I suspect it is not unrelated to overall insurance capacity/fire safety for mountain lodges etc and a longer term view to "brand" impact. I don't think it ever kicks in for early risers or those who hold multi day tickets. I wouldn't expect any European resort to apply the same criteria, even if conditions are thoroughly unpleasant and they might be doing you a favour by preventing you using uplift.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PortesduSoleilPresse, suspected as much, thanks...happy with the 10% discount for advance booking anyway
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As the number of people skiing is automatically controlled by the maximum uplift capacity why would they limit the lift tickets. All that would happen is the queues are bigger and hence the people with tickets have to wait.

Maybe they would not come back again if the queues had been too big but I bet they think the gamble is worth it. Take some money now or maybe get more next year - you just know which way they would go !
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How do you get the 10% discount for advance booking?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee, by buying a family pass online, since there's five of us every little helps. Still a horrifically expensive week though Confused
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
head_like_a_rock wrote:
Serma have just told us that they are limiting the number of lift passes for sale next week on account of the huge number of skiers expected for the half term week and the snow condition. We have bought our guests' passes for next week in advance just in case!

Happened to us around four seasons ago at Christmas / New Year. "Visiting skiers" (i.e. those not staying at accommodation with accounts with one of the lift operators) could only buy passes on a day to day basis.

I've no idea if it's the case next week, but I wouldn't be surprised given the lack of snowfall.
snow report
It was the case back in the 80's in those years of snow drought that some resorts with some snow and were partially open would only sell 6 day passes and only allowed a small quota of day passes for visitors from resorts with no snow (AT ALL) Closed, ferme, nada.... That might be where the myth originated!
latest report
FlyingStantoni, I remember it well! Those staying up in Avoriaz seemed to be looked after as they were first in line!!! wink Good to hear that the rumour mill is alive and kicking!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy