Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR (with lots of pics) - "Steep Vanoise"

Poster: A snowHead
Photos by me, Steve and Mike

Looking for something which combined some challenging skiing with a bit of "light touch" tuition, I stumbled upon a week entitled "Steep Vanoise" run by our very own offpiseskiing. As you can see from his blog, when he says "steep" he isn't talking about black runs:

http://offpisteskiing.blogspot.com/2008/04/courtes-nne-face.html

Cool

Warm-up Day

We were staying down in Bourg St Maurice and hooked up with snowcrazy, who agreed to show us some stuff if the weather was good. Well, it was good when we looked out of the window in the morning but it rapidly crapped out. But we were all kitted up and we had to make the most of it - snowcrazy showed us some nice untracked tree runs above Villaroget in the Les Arcs ski area

Me flailing through trees

snowcrazy displays some style

Steve

Day 1 - Val d'Isere

Weather still not great but we got some nice skiing in.

Table d'Orientation Couloir in the gloom:

We ticked off the East Face of the Charvet and Col Pers then finished the day with Couloir Gerthoffet, above Le Fornet. This was OK, although the choke wasn't skiable due to it being trenched by sideslippers (who also had shorter skis than me Sad )

Day 2 - N Face of Bellecote

This was the main objective, but we also scored some nice skiing off the Roche de Mio as we worked our way through the La Plagne lift system. As we all know, La Plagne is all flat blue run motorways and no serious skier should bother with it... except that there is some seriously good skiing at the top.

The Bellecote is an absolute classic. The face is about a mile high and the line we did (Couloir Canadiens) is a couloir 900m long with sections at 45 degrees and mostly high 30s-early 40s. The photos don't really do it justice - in fact you can't really get a feel for the scale even standing at the top of it (except that it is bleedin massive)

Entering a line off the Roche de Mio, resort side of the Bellecote in the background

Yours truly on the ridge from which we entered the N Face

Entrance pic. 45 degrees at the top. The valley bottom (towards top on the right of the pic) is about a vertical mile below

Mike in the couloir

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 2-03-09 12:23; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Day 3 - St Foy

The frontside of St Foy was tracked out so the plan was to ride the lifts to the top then walk for an hour to access the classic N Face of Folglietta. This proved to be a great plan as we found 500m of steep enough untracked powder (more than a week after the last storm) followed by a fun gully then more powder at an easy angle.

In the afternoon we went back up and did the south side. A much more mellow ski, but a nice scenic way to round off the day.

A small crowd gathers for the walk up the ridge. Fortunately most of them went for more mellow options than us

Our leader scopes line for the coming days

on here... this is the Aig Rouge and if I was less of a computer JONG I'd draw some of the lines on there

Me reaching the end of the walk

offpisteskiing enters the slope

It was good...

I reflect on the morning's events

Afternoon rest stop by random phallic symbol

3 wise monkeys in a summer village further down

Day 4 - Couloir Valdez, Les Arcs

This is a very impressive line, but the access was not as simple as we thought. We had to make our way down a ridge which wasn't particularly easy on skis or walking/climbing. I swore... a lot... and sacrificed a glove to the mountain as I tried to attach my skis to my pack in a rather delicate situation. When we finally got to the entry, you needed to side slip through a break in the cornice then traverse switch in a rather exposed spot. Still, the couloir was pretty impressive with a nice 45 degree narrow section, mostly on chalky snow. It was about 500m vert then you had another 1500m down to lunch at Villaroget.

Me surveying the ridge before we got to the interesting bit

"Can we do that again?" Me after the interesting bit (note odd gloves)

Bashing a hole in the cornice

Finally into the couloir and enjoying the view

Finally skiing

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 1-03-09 18:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Day 5 - Back to St Foy

We went for a bit more walking and a couple of lines off the back of the Foglietta. About 800m of ascent on my alpine boot/Duke/Legend Pro combo was plenty but the skiing was, again, good. Old pow, with some really light stuff every now and then. And glorious weather to round the week off

Early morning skinning

Entry pic

Inviting, no?

The snow in this depression was super-light

And the contours made it super-fun:

A spot of lunch before the ascent, N Face in the background

The start of the sufferfest:

The entry chute was a bit chopped but fun enough, tired legs notwithstanding

We found some space in the tracks to leave our own signatures

Like this:

Pleased with ourselves after about 1000m of soft snow

Me displaying some of the excellent technique imparted by offpisteskiing Wink

All in all a great week. Anyone looking for some fun challenging skiing with a bit of coaching thrown in could do a lot worse than look up Simon. Thanks to him; my fellow punters, Steve and Mike; and Chris with his local knowledge for a great week.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stunning!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Awesome & lucky you. Smile It looks like losing your suncream would have been more problem than losing that glove.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice Cool

Thanks for the great photos.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, cheers and thanks for suggesting i get in touch with snowcrazy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno, Fab TR... ready to go again in a few days..? wink

Looks like we will have get a guide out now...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

La Plagne is all flat blue run motorways and no serious skier should bother with it...

Quite right to, we dont want it all skied out as fast as some other resorts we know Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks V busy and lousy snow. Why bother? Wink THX.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great pics but you really do need to get your body more forward and poles higher in the last pic. Wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, Great pics pleased you had such a good week. Did you get any pics of our last day off the back of the Grand Col.

(One change needed. Not Mont Albert, should be Villaroger on your les arcs pics.)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It was the crowds and the poor weather that really got to me Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, great pics - you're about 20 years younger than I had imagined! Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
eng_ch wrote:
Arno, great pics - you're about 20 years younger than I had imagined! Shocked

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
wow - thanks for the photos
latest report
DB, the photographer snapped just before i bent at the waist into a perfect right-angle Wink

snowcrazy, i have a couple of pics but haven't got them on the computer yet. and thanks for the correction, which I have made - wouldn't want someone getting lost as a result of my TR Cool

eng_ch, not sure how to take that Embarassed

Hewey, if that's you, Mike, welcome to a great skiing related timewaster
snow report
Those pictures are beautiful. They succesfully stopped me from doing what I am meant to be doing for a good 15 minutes. Toofy Grin Now off to find something else to procastinate with.
ski holidays
Arno, Glad you had such a nice time - great pix. Very Happy
ski holidays
Great stuff as usual, made me very excited for my trip out on the 7th Cool

Its so difficult to catch the scale of the Bellecotte in photos.
snow report
Thanks for posting these sweet pics! Sounds like you had a great time!
snow report
Arno wrote:
eng_ch, not sure how to take that Embarassed

Take it as a compliment! But I'm not sure there's any significance to it other than how one mentally puts faces to names/posts without any real basis for doing so
snow conditions
Yep, it is me, with another forum to waste time on. Cheers Ian
snow report
Hewey, welcome to snowHeads. Looks like you had a pretty good week with Arno and offpisteskiing. Something for me to aspire to, at least the easier routes Smile
ski holidays
OHMYGOD. I cannot tell you how jealous I am. Can I come next time? PLEASE? snowHead
latest report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Can I come next time? PLEASE? snowHead

Only if you don't take my place! wink
ski holidays
Arno, As I am still a bit useless in powder, please make me feel better and tell me that there is a picture of you falling over?! You did fall didn't you?
Great pics.
latest report
Hewey, hi so you found your way here at last. Welcome. Could you post some of your pics of our trip on the last day down the Grand Col. Thanks
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, See what you have been missing. You really need to find some time between your courses to come out and do this stuff with me. I reckon you could get down all of those Very Happy .

If anyone else is coming out to Les Arcs this season and wants to ski or ride some of this stuff, PM me so we can meet up. Fellow snowheads are always welcome to come join the fun. Toofy Grin
snow report
snowcrazy wrote:
rob@rar, See what you have been missing. You really need to find some time between your courses to come out and do this stuff with me. I reckon you could get down all of those Very Happy .

I hope I could get down a few of them, so hopefully next season we can put some time in the diary. Need to tick a few more boxes with BASI, but I'll try to be a bit more organised next year Very Happy
snow conditions
snowcrazy wrote:

If anyone else is coming out to Les Arcs this season and wants to ski or ride some of this stuff, PM me so we can meet up. Fellow snowheads are always welcome to come join the fun. Toofy Grin

I can whole heartedly reccomend getting in touch with snowcrazy if you are going to Les Arcs, I was lucky as his knee was playing up so I was able to keep up with him and we had a thoroughly enjoyable day out. Hopefully we can meet up in April when I am there again.
latest report
Arno, amazing photos, looks like I'm going to have to break out the camera again to offer some competition!
snow report
Hewey, i always carry emergency carambars and will even put my skis on and leave the board at home! Looks awesome.
latest report
Arno, cheers for posting those pics... been away 'sans laptop' for last 3 weeks so been a bit out of touch... looks like you had a good time in the Val D'Anniviers!
snow report
ønly just saw this thanks to offpisteskiing's bump.

Great Pics - I'm seriously jealous.
latest report
Just stumbled across these shots -fantastic!! - makes me want to go ski-ing a.s.a.p. Very Happy
snow conditions
LP is an intermediates paradise....of course Laughing Laughing Laughing
wink wink
snow conditions
JT, indeed wink nothing more to see here...move along please...Arno, Hewey, will look out a few more pics & get them up for you shortly..
snow report
BUMP
cos i'm off on Steep Vanoise Part Trois tonight and I am most excited snowHead
snow report
Part deux here
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1489420&highlight=vanoise#1489420

I am really rather jealous Twisted Evil

Is Steve going again this year?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy