Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

WM in Garmisch - safety concerns highlighted by Lindsey Vonn

Poster: A snowHead
Very interesting comments I've just read made by LV on her Facebook page

Quote:
I have something I need to say. I am not trying to complain or be negative, but I feel strongly that this is an important safety issue that needs to be brought up. It is something that's on everyone's mind but everyone is afraid to bring it up. I just finished freeskiing the World champs super G race hill and I was shocked and disappointed at the condition of the hill. The hill is extremely bumpy pond ice from top to bottom. It has clearly been injected or hosed down with a ton of water. I have never seen a course prepared like this in my entire career, nothing even close. In my opinion the hill is WAY too icy and downright unsafe! I find it very hard to believe that the FIS has any concern for the safety of the athletes when the World Championships race hill is prepared like a bumpy ice rink. I fear there will be a lot of DNF's and crashes in the coming days. LV

Wonder what/if they will do something about it?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sleipnir, Hope it all goes well for them. I will never forget watching Ulli Maier killing herself on the Kandahar, after she had done exactly the same thing as LV and complained about the icy condition of the course! Have to admit that I'm surprised that it's so icy though given the current temperatures in Garmisch.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
seeing the amount of times shes landed on her back bottom this season maybe shes just getting the excuses ready for losing her title..

Though I presume GAP has had the same warm clear weather as everyone else, I'll be there later in the week, but not before the super G so won't be able to confirm the conditions untill its been on TV anyway.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sleipnir, She has a habit of making such statements - whether it is gamesmanship or not I'm not sure.

The technical delegates will oversee every step of the preparation and running of the tournament . The current leading TD for the women's circuit is Aksel Skaardal and Stankella is also one of the TDs so there are ex-racers from the top level overseeing everything. Skaardal has been very hands on - he was actually on the piste at Zwiesel yesterday helping maintain the slope during the second run when it was very soft.

I remember her saying something similar before the Vancouver races last year and again sometime earlier this year about one of the race venues. They are racing on the Kandahar 1 piste and I know the preparation over the last couple of weeks has been very intensive. I've not heard of any of the other racers complaining, men or women. Yes, it is going to be hard and fast, the early runners may have an advantage if it is as warm tomorrow midday, but that piste holds its cover really well.

She is running at No.22 in the Super-G tomorrow, so she has plenty of time for feedback. There are only 49 runners so blink and you might miss it! wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The projections on the ski jump at the opening ceremony look good..though not sure about the odd bavarian parade under it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Last year I skied the hahnenkamm course 3 days after the mens downhill. That was tough, icy and hard.

Last weekend I skied the course LV is talking about. Not as steep as the hahnenkamm but harder and icier as described, really, really tough. Wouldn't be so bad but I didn't even mean to ski it, just took a wrong turn. My missus really didn't like it and now has a bruise along mostnof her right thigh to remember it by.

When skiing i normally like a challenge, but I'd avoid that again like the plague.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue, it could well be a bit of gamesmanship or even genuine concern, especially after she hit her noggin in a training run recently at Hintereit, Austria - it really did look quite nasty (especially in slo mo) Shocked

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=197160863630027

smithski talking of Kitz, a friend of mine who is very good skier (junior racer when he was young, Austrian Staatlich geprüfter Skilehrer) was at the race this year and he was telling us how icy it was - literally blue ice only covered by a dusting of snow. To give you an idea, he said that he tried to traverse across the race track to a ski hut directly across from where he was stood and he ended up 200m below the hut as he simply could not get any grip Shocked Shocked

You gotta take your hat of the both the girls and boys when it comes to racing, but where do you draw the line in terms of safety - I see that the Canadians have raised concerns in general about the number of major accidents and injuries this season. None of us want to see another Ulli Maier accident

Going back to Garmisch, certainly they have the right people involved, especially ex-racers like Aksel Skaardal (as Sue said, as Technical Director for the ladies) but sometimes you get the feeling that there is a lot of outside pressure placed upon these people by the organisers, the World's TV and media. I only hope that they have the strength to say "No" if things are not as they should be

Schau ma mal (as they say around these parts)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steilhang, I also saw Uli Meier's accident and a lot of changes were made both to the hill and the safety issues as a result.

I read an article in one of the Austrian papers where it quotes some of the girls - one saying it might be better to use ice skates for example (Fenniger I think). It's gamesmanship pure and simple. There are a whole variety of levels competing tomorrow so we'll see what happens. Some how I don't see LV saying no I'm not skiing because it isn't safe, do you? But she could just possibly blame the lack of a medal or a win on a "I told you so" type thing. Don't get me wrong, I like LV and do not see her as a typical North American skier, but she is under tremendous pressure to produce the winning goods every time and that is just not realistic.

papasmurf, we's proud of our living heritage and traditions so we show like to show it off as often as we can - Laughing I missed that bit, what was it the local Trachten groups or the Musikkappelle (Brass Bands to those oop North like! rolling eyes )?

Loved the opening speech by the Chancellor - Frau Merkel doing her bit to support the bid for the 2018 Olympics I presume! Not putting too much (more) pressure on Felix Neureuther and Maria Riesch was she Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Samerberg Sue, just read on my fb page that Primoz has skied the track and said it is really icy Shocked I am almost not wanting to watch, i really really hope all the girls come back in one piece Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Samerberg Sue, it was lots of people dressed like the wood carvings that most of southern germany seems obessed with, I presume some sort of Bavarian folklore. Watched a programme on BR about it and Felix and Maria were looking very uncomfortable about the pressure to win, also had christian Neureuther (felixes dad?) on and kept rubbing it in that he didn't win..
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lindsey is normally not complaining, so anyone who didn't have chance to go down this one, can't really say much about it. It looks scary on TV, but when you actually go down the course, things are really different. Until now, I was never scared going down the course (even Kitzbuhel, Alta Badia or Val d'Isere), but today, I had really bad feeling. Hell let's admit this... I knew it's icy, but when I went down first time, I felt bad, when I was going back up with gondola, thinking I will need to do it again, but this time with 15 or 20kg back (worth more then 20.000eur), I was scared like hell. I hate to admit this, but I really was.
It's like setting ice rink in vertical. I have race skis, prepared properly, I know how to ski, yet it was still poo-poo**y. Today, ice skates would be much better tool then skis for this track. It's so fuc***ing icy that you just slide without chance to stop... unless you consider safety nets as your stopping method Smile
I was talking with few skiers and ex-skiers today and yesterday here in GAP, and everyone agree this is totally crazy. I hope they would do something about this, but I doubt they will. Course is injected, and then they poured a whole lot of water on top of it, so it's really pure ice, no snow, from fence to fence. Course will last totally untouched till last racer, but I'm pretty sure top skiers looked like they don't know how to ski on this course. And in my mind, this is not greatest commercial for our sport. When World champion looks like, she doesn't know how to ski, there is something wrong.
Now off to find Swix guy, to make my skis even sharper for tomorrow, since I don't wanna die there Smile Especially considering, I have to get through Freiefal tomorrow... and it's far far from easy and nice looking thing... unless I do it, like I did it 2 years ago, when I just jumped over it Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
primoz wrote:
Lindsey is normally not complaining, so anyone who didn't have chance to go down this one, can't really say much about it. It looks scary on TV, but when you actually go down the course, things are really different. Until now, I was never scared going down the course (even Kitzbuhel, Alta Badia or Val d'Isere), but today, I had really bad feeling. Hell let's admit this... I knew it's icy, but when I went down first time, I felt bad, when I was going back up with gondola, thinking I will need to do it again, but this time with 15 or 20kg back (worth more then 20.000eur), I was scared like hell. I hate to admit this, but I really was.
It's like setting ice rink in vertical. I have race skis, prepared properly, I know how to ski, yet it was still poo-poo**y. Today, ice skates would be much better tool then skis for this track. It's so fuc***ing icy that you just slide without chance to stop... unless you consider safety nets as your stopping method Smile
I was talking with few skiers and ex-skiers today and yesterday here in GAP, and everyone agree this is totally crazy. I hope they would do something about this, but I doubt they will. Course is injected, and then they poured a whole lot of water on top of it, so it's really pure ice, no snow, from fence to fence. Course will last totally untouched till last racer, but I'm pretty sure top skiers looked like they don't know how to ski on this course. And in my mind, this is not greatest commercial for our sport. When World champion looks like, she doesn't know how to ski, there is something wrong.
Now off to find Swix guy, to make my skis even sharper for tomorrow, since I don't wanna die there Smile Especially considering, I have to get through Freiefal tomorrow... and it's far far from easy and nice looking thing... unless I do it, like I did it 2 years ago, when I just jumped over it Laughing

watched the skiing today and it's the first time that any course looked dangerous on tv. it was great to watch however wouldn't have wanted to do it..
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just came back from wax rooms, and latest news is, that they already sent pisten bullies to women course. So obviously they noticed it was "a bit" too icy today Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All I can say is those ladies are better men than I am Shocked

I wouldn't go down there for a gold pig, never mind at the speeds they are going at.

Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks primoz. For those of us who enjoy the racing, it's nice to have a guy 'on the inside'.......it makes me sound intelligent when I tell my friends here in Austria precisely what is going on behind the scenes

Keep up the good work. And watch out for those icy bits........that's all of the piste then!! wink
snow report
Women course will be much easier for me to survive now... I guess Smile On the other side there's still men races too, and I just talk with Mike Kertesz and all he said was "pha pisten bullies! No pisten bullies on men course till end of WCH. It's not even icy, it's just grippy" Laughing Well my skis are now done by real WC tech, not just by ex one (read: me), so I hope life will be a bit easier tomorrow, when I will be going down the men's SG course Laughing
snow conditions
Sleipnir, More insider infomation. Just had a text from TJ who is racing for GB at bib 44 tomorrow. He said "It is f...king icy and very bumpy!" He said that about the Lake Louise WC DH track too though.
I'll let you know how it skied on race day straight from a competetor. Top 30 would be a great result for him.

primoz, If you take any photos of TJ at bib 44 please let me know. Also doing DH. SC & GS.
ski holidays
primoz, I've just taken a look at your photos from today - nice work!! I really like the one of the US coach who had climbed up a tree to get a better view of the racers

http://www.photo.si/photos/spo_skiing_20110208nw_17077.jpg

You've got to give it to the Yanks, they look for every advantage they can find. wink

PS - Lizz Goergl is starting to become a favourite of mine. She looks like she really enjoys her racing (and singing!) and from the TV coverage seems to be very down to earth and friendly. Glad she won a gold
latest report
Plugboy wrote:
Sleipnir, More insider infomation. Just had a text from TJ who is racing for GB at bib 44 tomorrow. He said "It is f...king icy and very bumpy!" He said that about the Lake Louise WC DH track too though.
I'll let you know how it skied on race day straight from a competetor. Top 30 would be a great result for him.

primoz, If you take any photos of TJ at bib 44 please let me know. Also doing DH. SC & GS.

Thanks very much. As an East Anglian myself (Lowestoft rather than Norwich) it'll be fantastic to see something super come out of Norwich as well as Colmans Mustard. Good luck TJ!
ski holidays
Sleipnir wrote:
it'll be fantastic to see something super come out of Norwich

Well, I'd love to see it. But if it's anything like the Women's race, British Eurosport will stop transmitting before bib 44 Evil or Very Mad . Fingers crossed for him anyway!
latest report
primoz If you don't mind me asking, what do you do there? Are you there in an official capacity
latest report
elgrego, Primoz is one of the best sport photographers and used to be a top level racer himself, so his word is the word!
snow conditions
primoz wrote:
Women course will be much easier for me to survive now... I guess Smile On the other side there's still men races too, and I just talk with Mike Kertesz and all he said was "pha pisten bullies! No pisten bullies on men course till end of WCH. It's not even icy, it's just grippy" Laughing Well my skis are now done by real WC tech, not just by ex one (read: me), so I hope life will be a bit easier tomorrow, when I will be going down the men's SG course Laughing

didn't realise you did such good photograpy.
excellent stuff.
ski holidays
Plugboy wrote:

You should have serious discussion with TJ if you want to get some photos... or maybe I should position myself higher on course Laughing I would say less then half racers came to my position today (just above Freiefall), so it was once again kinda weird race.
snow conditions
kooky wrote:
elgrego, Primoz is one of the best sport photographers and used to be a top level racer himself, so his word is the word!

Ok let's not exaggerate Laughing I'm not one of best, but... Smile And I was not top level racer either. Top level means World cup, and even that, on top Smile I was never even close to this. I did racing for 20 years or so, but European cup was pretty much all I saw from "top level". I was on WC only, when I was serviceman for few years, but even this is loooong 10+ years ago Smile
kooky wrote:
primoz If you don't mind me asking, what do you do there? Are you there in an official capacity

As Kooky wrote, I'm photographer, so I guess I'm here officially Smile
latest report
Vonn gave a very candid interview on Universal Sport after the race. She basically admits to being scared out of her wits, and had a headache all day yesterday. She looked like she had just woke up and told you need to ski, and you're late to the start line. She should just skip the rest of the WC races in Garmisch and heal up. I was happy to see Mancuso charge the course. She was very graciuos afterwards.
snow report
Ok, thank you kooky and primoz Very Happy

I certainly believe his word, you could see how icy it was on the tv coverage.

Sounds like a good job to me too Wink
snow report
Does anyone examine the fitness of athletes to say it's safe to compete? Vonn had a brain trauma last week and she still isn't right, she did the dh practice in full ski jacket and pants today so she wouldn't pick up too much speed. Athletes themselves may take risks beyond what is acceptable especially as it's a big event but this sort of thing should be independently assessed.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are team doctors, but as far as I know, there's noone from FIS, who could tell someone can start or not.
I had ride up on hill today with Lindsey's serviceman so we had a bit of chat (mostly about skis and stuff... including what Head's KERS really is Laughing) and he said she was out there yesterday just to see if she can do anything or not. But with speed 20-30km/h faster, things might look different. So for now (at least on morning before today's SC race) she was suppose to start also DH, but that's about it.
snow conditions
primoz wrote:
There are team doctors, but as far as I know, there's noone from FIS, who could tell someone can start or not.
I had ride up on hill today with Lindsey's serviceman so we had a bit of chat (mostly about skis and stuff... including what Head's KERS really is Laughing) and he said she was out there yesterday just to see if she can do anything or not. But with speed 20-30km/h faster, things might look different. So for now (at least on morning before today's SC race) she was suppose to start also DH, but that's about it.

and primoz are you going to let us in on what KERS is, does it makes difference....blah...blah

I've read the sales blurb put out by HEAD but would like to hear an 'insider's view'

I'm a big fan of HEAD (skis, boots) and really think that their Liquidmetal technology makes a difference. My some would say 'soft' skis really get stiff when you ski them hard. I am thinking about some new HEAD skis with KERS so what you say could make or break the deal wink

Did you get any photos of Lara Gut's tumble today? Thankfully she was ok, but in slow mo it looked really nasty. At one point she landed completely on her head and also flat on her back. A good advert for helmet and back protectors!!

Where are you going to position yourself for the Men's DH tomorrow?
snow conditions
Hehe I don't think KERS discussion is for this thred, but let's make it short... it's marketing thing only. Well if you read FIS rules, this is clear anyway, since any mechanical thing (motors, rockets and also things like KERS... at least the way it's marketed) is strictly forbidden in or on skis. Ok enough about KERS Wink
No I didn't get her fall. I was standing all the way on op (around 15 or 20sec I would say), so I just saw it when looking down. And it looked pretty bad, even if I was few 100m away. So yeah, I'm glad she's fine. It looked much worse then it obviously ended.
For today's DH things were a bit hectic. When I was riding up with gondola I got sms that no photographers and TV are allowed to enter course inspection. So we were all waiting up under Troglhang with pretty much no further info. Around 10 we were finally allowed to enter course, slipping down on side of course escorted by Mike. So I just picked position, where I was thinking to check it first, and it was just above Eishang... actually on gate when they were getting out of Alte quele part. Nothing special, but also not all that bad position. It's gonna be worse tomorrow on women's DH. There's not many positions, and we were just told we will be even more limited with out movement tomorrow. So we will see Smile
Otherwise track was getting slower and slower today. On morning it was still at least a bit icy, by the end of race, it was only wet nothing more. But in reality, guys with numbers around 40 or 50, didn't have any chance anyway. For top guys, it was pretty much same. First few numbers had some better conditions, but on the end, there were still top guys up front, not someone with number 1 or 2.
ski holidays
out of interest Vonn got roundly boo'd for not turning up for the bib draw. She also seems to have been doing a media damage limitation move after her comments on the course
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy