Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Most expensive fare on budget airline

Poster: A snowHead
I was wandering around the easyjet site and noticed Gatwick to Innsbruck for a not so bargain £503.99 one way on 19th February, Any takers? I wept when I paid £150 each for 3 flights Geneva Liverpool on 23rd December 2010, booked last minute, but over £500 one way! Anybody seen anything higher?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
waltond, Wow, that's private jet money - 6 in a Citation jet one way might be around that per head and parking is free.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller, pushing it a little? The return flight has to be funded somehow. But I do get your point.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I paid under £200 for 2 x Luton - Zurich return flights at half term, did I do something wrong?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
achilles, nowt wrong with a little late night exaggeration. Can get better quotes than those though and there's always the distress buying of empty legs which are often available Biggin Hill or Farnborough etc to/from places like Sion. Also you need to account for the free parking or free pick up, free inflight grub and shampoo and the fact that a PJ will save you a hotel night or two because you can fly either end of the days you ski. BUT... no toilets on board and luggage is an issue. Think I'll stick with good ol' BA and the like.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bode Swiller, weeing in a cup does somewhat ruin the illusion.... Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Budget airlines never seem particularly budget to me. I think the cheapest I've ever flown was £90 return to Dublin and £120 return to Prague. I've priced up independent ski trip flights before and they are always over £200. I'm flying to New York with British Airways for £299!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller, some private jets have toilets on board, I know, I've been in one, Oh and more than sufficient luggage space as well, try using a Gulfstream next time you want a private Jet, even their G150 has an onboard toilet whilst their new G650 will fly at Mach 0.925 with a range of up to 7000NM thats non stop London to Buenos Aires, oh and if you get tired on such a long trip, one interior fittings pack includes the option for a double bed in the aft cabin, though at a cruising altitude of 51,000ft it wouldn't be so much the mile high club as the nine and a half mile high club.

You can even get them serviced in the UK at Luton, their only service center outside the USA
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Budget airlines never seem particularly budget to me. I think the cheapest I've ever flown was £90 return to Dublin and £120 return to Prague
Our best ever have been Ryanair (when their price was reasonable to take skis) - under £30 to 'Venice' - which was actually so far north of there that it was very handy for a Cortina ski trip.

We've had dozens of flights for less than £90 - for instance Easyjet to Geneva can regularly come in at £40 or £50 - eg Newcastle to Geneva, Sat - Sat in March is still around £40 now Smile .
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ryanair quoted me well over a thousend pounds for a flight to france at christams once. For 4 though...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I recall a few years ago when EJ cancelled our flight from liverpool to geneva whilst we were standing in the check-in queue Evil or Very Mad We raced how and jumped on the web to try to find any flight going from anywhere. There was a flight leaving from Gatwick which was about £500 one way. Needless to say we got in the car and drove to Chamonix Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
D G Orf wrote:
Bode Swiller, some private jets have toilets on board, I know, I've been in one, etc...
I know, but I was trying to get close to the £500 per head benchmark. Gulfstreams are way more pricey to charter.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kruisler wrote:
Ryanair quoted me well over a thousend pounds for a flight to france at christams once. For 4 though...

Was that just for checking in 2 bags?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kruisler wrote:

Was that just for checking in 2 bags?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bode Swiller, the one I was on had gold plated fittings in a marble finished toilet compartment, mind you it was owned/leased by middle eastern royalty, sadly it was at Luton airport and I was merely taking measurements for designing a service platform for the tail, apparently the best way of running one is to join a club where everyone contributes to the running costs in return for a certain number of days use per year, that way you have permanently on call aircraft and pilots without having the huge expense that involves.

I'd love to be able to use a G650 though, I reckon I could do My home to Wengen in just over 2 hours door to door, including the 45 min drive from Bern airport and the 15min train journey up, of course if I could afford the G650 I could also afford the helicopter transfer which would drop times to well under 2 hours door to door Laughing
snow conditions
Just boked Ryanair from Edinburgh to Oslo (no where near Oslo but near my sister in Tonsberg) for beginning of March. £6 inc taxes and free checkin + £5 card fee + £40 each way for skis = £102 for a weeks free skiing, 2 days cross country and 2 alpine in Norefjell. Very happy.
latest report
Lastminute.com quote £1100 for a return flight to Dublin for my rugby trip.

I booked Ryanair for £88 each.

But it really grates to use them.
ski holidays
bar shaker, Me too but the fly clse to my sis´s in Norway.
latest report
Price and convenience seems to outweigh morals and opinions for most...
latest report
I booked three return trips GVA-LGW with Easyjet this winter for a total of £130. That is six sectors. Better still, they cancelled one of the flights, which had the effect of converting my booking into an open ticket for a couple of weeks, because you get a free transfer of two sectors if they have cancelled your flight. The trick is to book early. Unlike the charter airlines, Easyjet uses a yield management policy of ratcheting up the fare as the date of flight approaches. So if you leave it late the fares can be quite high. Low cost means low cost to the airline, and does not necessarily mean low fares.
snow conditions
Book flights for half term the day EJ release them - £100 pp, book them 3 months later - £300 pp, book them in January £500+ pp. Simples
snow report
Cant recall exact figures,but have had some mega quotes in the past.Thing is,they have always involved last minute decisions....bad idea Sad As Colin B rightly says,get in early.Many on here have played the budget airline lottery,with varying degrees of success!
But there are still bargains to be had.No 1 son has just decided to join us in deux Alpes this Easter rolling eyes I'm driving out,and he will join me on the following Saturday.Easyjet..B'ham to Grenoble..£40.And I booked it last night!It will cost me that to drive to Dover Confused Its only £95 return,daytime week end flights as well.Yes,he's hand luggage only...but still a bargain in my book.
snow report
Colin B, Be afraid......man cub approaching Embarassed
snow conditions
snowskisnow, It will be good to ski with him again. When I say ski with him I really mean trail in the distance. Has he done any more BASI since we last met?

Yes that's a very good price considering it's Easter holiday time.
snow report
Frequently see EJ at £500+ single trip Nice - London in the Summer months ( over £600 one-way iirc once??)

Even if I had not vowed never to fly with the thieving bar stewards again, I invariably find BA cheaper on those need-to-fly occasions.
ski holidays
Quote:

Budget airlines never seem particularly budget to me

I wish people would call them "no frills airlines", which is what they are.
Best price I've ever priced up on such an airline (for a real journey) was £250 return on EZY. Went BA for less.
Compare that to £329 return iirc LGW-Kansas City via Philadelphia (inclusive of all extras) on US Airways.
When you live just down the road from a major international hub, the no frills don't get a look in usually. I'd happily sacrifice the price of 3 pints for a flight at a sensible time, with simple public transport each way.
latest report
andy,
Quote:

When you live just down the road from a major international hub, the no frills don't get a look in usually. I'd happily sacrifice the price of 3 pints for a flight at a sensible time, with simple public transport each way.

When you don't live near an International hub no frills/ budget airlines are generally the most convenient and frequently the cheapest. Flying from Scotland to the alps on a full frills airline generally involves a change in London/ Amsterdam/ Frankfurt etc with the extra time involoved and the extra chance of losing luggage ( which has happened to me on several occasions on full frilled and never on no frills). It isaalso usually more expensive, might not suit everyone but Easyjet has generally been good to me down the years.
snow report
Colin B wrote:
Has he done any more BASI since we last met?.

No,sadly not.Uni has got in the way.But,as he's doing Sports Science,he's uber fit...unlike yours truly wink Now seems to spend most of his time in various gyms around the area?

Know what you mean about trailing behind...even Liv's quicker than me now Sad James,well he's on a completely different mountain Laughing

See you in LDA,looking forward to it...at least we can hold our own in the bar wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy