Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding toepiece damage

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a pair of Atomic skis mounted with a pair of Salomon Z12 bindings as a system on the ski. last week I had the downhill ski prerelease on me at high speed. Upon inspection the small rollers located on the inside of the toepiece that allow the boot to move laterally out have the binding have been ripped away.

Just wondered if any of you savvy technically minded folks know if this can be easily repaired, and if Atomic / Salomon would be likely to foot all or part of the bill? Skis are only 3 seasons and about 10 on-snow weeks old. To be honest I've always mistrusted that binding due to its lightweight feel and having it click off at high speed when my DIN was on 8.5 hasn't really improved matters.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 8-02-11 23:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know this specific binding model. But on most salomon binders you usually need to adjust the wings on the toe piece so they sit snug to the boot. Over time the wings can sometimes come loose.

If I had to guess the bindings weren't set up properly (causing the lateral movement / pre-release and damage to the rollers). Especially if you were previously suffering from pre-release problems.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haggis_Trap, Just checked and they're actually Salomon Z12 bindings (edited my original post) and are meant to have an auto adjust on the wings. Mebe not the most effective system tho!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SkiTigger, Its basically a quadrax toe, and there is a lot of stuff on TGR about them coming apart. You should be able to get another smarttrak fitting Z12 toe from salomon or a better solution would be get a better binding that will fit smarttrak. I had a pair of equipe sc's with 914's on with a smarttrack rail.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No manual toe height or wing adjustment on that Sallie model - just plenty of plastic. Out of warranty period so unlikely to get a freeby. CEM does the UK warranty reports on Atomics but not sure if he does the Sallie bindings too but it's worth a PM.

Have you done the usual tests on the other ski - forward pressure check, function test, checked boot lugs etc. If you can get to Nottm I can torque test it for you.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
carroz, thanks for the info. I'll give Salomon UK a buzz and see where that gets me. Don't really want to shell out much on a full new set of bindings as the skis themselves are pretty trashed and may be retired to a rockhopper role for next season.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon, I've done all the tests on the other ski and everything checks out ok. Bit far from your neck of the woods but thanks for the offer of the Torque test. I'll definately be looking for something a tad sturdier in the future, was a bit sickening feeling it rip away, although good practice for one ski at high speed!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy