Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Silica gel sachets for drying boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone successfully used silica gel sachets to dry their ski or board boots? If so, do you need to use a new sachet each night or can you re-use them?

My liners seldom get more than a little damp but on the occasion that they do I would like to make sure they are dry by morning.

I normaly use DryZone boot dryers because the boot fitter who made my footbeds advised against using heated dryers. However, they weigh almost a kilo, so are not suitable for weekend trips when I'm travelling light with everything (including ski boots) packed into hand luggage.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zero-G, Dampire boot dryer are exactly that, bags filled with silica, they work very well.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ooh really, they just use bog standard silica gel? Excellent...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zero-G,One question would be if you can dry out the bog standard stuff, or would it be use and throw away???
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, you can dry that stuff out. Just stick it on a hot radiator for a while.

If you buy a new sofa, they tend to chuck two or more big bags of the stuff in the big plastic bag. Keep them, empty one bag into each foot of a pair of tights. Tie a knot in the ankle, reverse them and tie another knot. Drop them into your boots each night, pull them out and they conveniently hang over towel rails, radiators etc. while you're out for the day. The tights allow moisture through, but keep the granules in there nicely.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Rather an unusual suggestion, but ...

... how about just picking up some cat litter at a nearby supermarket while at the resort? That's often made of silica gel, and certainly has similar properties. Maybe pack an old lace-curtain in your suitcase to use as a liner for the boot before pouring it in?

Should be fairly inexpensive Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
? Just take the liners out ?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zero-G, I wonder if the advice applied just to driers above a certain heat. I use a Thermic electric fan drier and they don't get more than just nicely warm. It might be worth PMing CEM and asking - I could be wrong, but I've got a vague notion that he posted (fairly recently) about the thermic driers being OK with most boots, but industrial driers perhaps not being OK. He is usually to oracle on such things and it might be worth asking the question of him and telling him what sort of footbeds you have, because if you could use a Thermic drier they are really excellent little gadgets.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Update: The vague notion was just that - CEM was talking about boot heaters at the time, not what you are interested in:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1148677&highlight=heat+commercial#1148677

However, I would expect he could still advise on something like the use of the Thermic boot driers with your insoles if you needed him to.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, the aim is to travel light (everything, including boots, in hand luggage). I have perfectly good boot dryers (DryZone) but they will push my hand luggage over the 8kg weight limit.

kitenski wrote:
Zero-G,One question would be if you can dry out the bog standard stuff, or would it be use and throw away???

That's what I'd like to know. Have ordered some 10g silica sachets from Amazon. Will test them out (1 sachet per boot, used multiple times) and report back on how effective they are.

DaKid, Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zero-G, have you ever had your hand luggage weighed???
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zero-G, have you ever had your hand luggage weighed???
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski, a few times.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a pair of the Dry Zone gel boot dryers (also good on gloves). I stick 'em in hand luggage, they pack pretty tight around my lid base, and just either stick them on a radiator each morning or hang them in the sun until I return from the days skiing. Love them to bits, they really do make a difference.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Zero-G, wow, never had mine weighed despite many, many flights!!
latest report
Scarpa, You can Microwave the Dry Zone Dampires also to dry them out.
latest report
Zero-G wrote:
DaKid, Laughing

wink
ski holidays
I love the thought of emptying a bag of cat litter into ski boots, id come down the next morning with something similar to a plastercast of a foot jammed in my boots and unable to get it out, worse still the local strays would have a field day. Laughing
snow report
Cat litter is NOT silica gel......................
latest report
Take the liners out, then remove footbeds and stick liners upside down on radiator. In morning put footbeds back in, put feet in liners and stick back into boots.
snow report
Maersk wrote:
Cat litter is NOT silica gel......................

If you say so ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litter_box#Silica_gel_litter
ski holidays
ledge wrote:
I love the thought of emptying a bag of cat litter into ski boots, id come down the next morning with something similar to a plastercast of a foot jammed in my boots and unable to get it out, worse still the local strays would have a field day. Laughing

I hadn't necessarily intended, when light-heartedly suggesting cat litter, for someone to fill the boot with it!!!
snow report
DaKid, You should add a disclaimer to your post or you might find a few cat litter-filled ski boots flung at your head wink

Right, I said I'd report back on the silica gel sachets:

I said before that my liners seldom get more than a little damp but this past weekend in Chamonix was hot (I stripped down to a thin base layer, and hard shell and even then was too warm), so my liners were more than a little damp this time, mostly around my calves!

I used 2x10g sachets in each boot, repeatedly for 3 days (i.e. the same sachets) and they worked a treat. I put the sachets on the radiator in the mornings during breakfast, just to dry them out, then sealed them in a little plastic bag when not in use. So, I will be using these for all of my future weekend ski breaks.
latest report
Zero-G, This sounds like a great tip - I'll try it out. Thanks
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy