Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpine "Dream Lives for Sale" on Sky last night

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone watch it?

For those that didn't it was the usual build your new life in another country only this time it was Austria and the couple ended up with a Chalet for around £680,000. They looked at a bar, another chalet, a sign business and a sandwich place.

Place they bought looked great. They seemed like a nice couple, too. I'm never sure that these programs deal with the practicalities as well as they might. The family had young children and looked like they would need to borrow about 175K and as a business were bringing in a salary of around 50K (I assume gross). I guess living costs are covered if you're home is your business but servicing the loan and other costs might be hard for a family of four. But I guess they bought the dream!

Opinions?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I saw it and it looked nice! No doubt it was the dream that clinched it! As the ROI on the sandwich shop was a few 100% more than the building they bought! I wish them luck!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I saw it too, as they say, location, location, location, is what's important... but... a lot of people demand ski-in/ski-out with chalets these days, and this one didn't have that.

Likewise, i wish them luck. Though they have a head start, taking over an existing business, with employing staff... not like us oldies who back in 2003 came out and did it all ourselves the hard way.

Interesting the difference in price between Austria & France. A chalet like that in France would have been at least double. If I was buying a chalet in Austria today, i'd want it in one of the well known areas like St Anton.

BTW, the glacier skiing looked absolutely sh**e Shocked

cheers.

Andrew
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why didn't they buy the bar 50k declared profit for 3 months work AND only 3 staff AND only opened at 4pm Confused
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Repeated tonight (Thursday) on Sky 2 at 8pm.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think, in all honesty, the bar wouldn't have offered him any skiing opportunities. I would imagine it was hard work for the season. They said they were opened when the lifts were running so maybe he would have been drinking rather than skiing the dream.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just caught this thanks to this thread, snowHead rock!

I liked their style... brave move IMO - live the dream! Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

A chalet like that in France would have been at least double.

There's more to Frenach skiing than Chamonix, you know. The rest of us don't pay your prices. Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Where did they buy?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, some small place near France called austria.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think it was Neustift Austria. It had a glacier, which on the program looked in an awful state but I'm guessing that was mid summer. When the revisit happened there was a lot more snow and the whole place looked "like the dream". Based on the program, I'd stay with them. I wonder how that exposure boosts the income.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnnyh, I imagine it will boost their income considerably! Just like the last one they did relocating to Chamonix! Do you remember the fly on the wall documentary "War and Piste"? That showed a really bad side of "Snoworld", but I used them and speaking to resort managers they seemed to get a boost! As the old addage goes, "there is no such thing as bad publicity"!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, according to the programme it was Hinterthal which is in the Hochkönig area (Maria Alm/Mühlbach), so I am presuming that the Glacier was the Kitzsteinhorn above Kaprun. The glacier was looking much better when I skied it on 11th October, but I was also very surprised at how much it had retreated since my first trip there nearly 30 years ago!

I thought it was a very interesting programme which definitely pushed the need for speaking the local language. I hope the two of them make a good start and enjoy living the dream. I'm pretty sure I know the Framing shop he sold - it was on Coldharbour Road in Redland, Bristol and prior to being a Framing business it was a florist's I think - just opposite the Post Office.

Good luck to them - it isn't easy moving into another culture, especially when you do not speak the language.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy