Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telemix/Chondola

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've noticed that they're building a telemix lift in Montgenevre this summer for next winter. http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2942

I'm wondering what is the point of mixing a gondola and chair lift in one lift. Surely it'd make more sense to have either one or the other.

Can somebody please explain.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 24-06-08 17:11; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Faster rides up the mountain & less faffing for those who don't mind sitting outside.

I'd guess the Verbier people might have a view on Chondolas - thats the only place I've seen them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well I would guess most skiers/boarders would prefer chairs as they don't have to de-kit to use them, thus faster and for me more pleasant being outside, unless the weather is truly apalling, and the gondolas are still available for people on their first uplift not already in/on planks, and for non-skiers/boarders, and for those downloading.

D
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

most skiers/boarders would prefer chairs

Well I'm not unhappy to use a gondola when the weather is horrible. And for beginners, especially boarders, a gondola is easier. Having the choice could be quite good. For those downloading on a lift a gondola is preferable; there's something a bit queasy making about going down a chair. Presumably you get on these from two completely separate lines, then they come together, and then separate again at the top - like that lift between Tignes and Val D'Isere.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

most skiers/boarders would prefer chairs

Well I'm not unhappy to use a gondola when the weather is horrible. And for beginners, especially boarders, a gondola is easier. Having the choice could be quite good. For those downloading on a lift a gondola is preferable; there's something a bit queasy making about going down a chair. Presumably you get on these from two completely separate lines, then they come together, and then separate again at the top - like that lift between Tignes and Val D'Isere.

Yes I suppose I meant that for a lot of skiers/boarders a chair is more convenient/faster, but weather permitting... I find it a faff having to take my skis off and sometimes go up and down steps etc. to get in and out of gondolas at the end of every piste, so prefer to just ski into a chair loading bay and ski off again at the top. But you're right there are a range of people who might prefer the gondola.

Agree re people downloading, and beginners etc.

Wikipedia suggests that it's all on one line, there is first a loading station for the gondolas (chairs just sail on past), then those close and they pass through the chair loading phase (controlled by gates as usual), then all move on up the hill.

D
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I used one of these last winter...they are actually a pretty good thing. Two queues, one for gondola riders, one for the chairs...it was hard sometimes to work out which was the quickest route. The benefits are that beginners/tiny tots/ pedestrians can all get safely up and down the mountain without slowing down the keen skiers who just slide on as usual. The one we used had one gondola to every three chairs, all on the same demountable cable, which seemed about the right mix...the only downside that I could see was that the offloading area for the gondola is relatively short so a quick getaway was needed!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The one in Verbier works very well.
The start at Ruinettes is at the top of the cable from town so a lot of users are not in skis yet....bubble.
It is also where a lot of folks ski down to...chair.

The lift goes "up-and-over" with a get on point at both ends and a get off point in the middle on the ridge.

It gives access to the obvious "almost" beginner area, but the get off point is disadvantaged for beginners by having a steep pitch before the tame stuff and those who can't deal with that can ride the bubble all the way and then ride another chair to access the easy pistes.

Judging the lift queue well can pay dividends, 3x6 man chairs and then 1 8 man bubble
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Used one in Schladming, on the Hochwurzen mountain. Have not seen anybody use the gondola cabins though. It basically serves one run, but can get across to more, and starts from the middle nowhere. The only reason for it we could come up with was, so they could upload people when there wasn't enough snow to be able to use the chairs.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Used the 2 at Montgenevre last easter, in the week there we only got in a gondola one morning when it was a bit of a white out, and didn't fancy 10 mins sat on a chair getting coated.
In Livigno a lot of the top chairs have pull down canopes, as it get quite windy and cold up there. but its a man thing as to whether you use them!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Planai Hochwurzen lift co. said that the Sun Jet kombibahn has gondola cabins to provide easy mountain access to children, school groups and ski school.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've never come across one yet but there seem to be quite a few about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_lift
http://www.skiresort.info/ski-lifts/lift-types/lift-type/combined-installation/
http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/fonctionnement_rm/autres_1.php
http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=telemix+chondola

Télémix is a trademark of Poma. Other descriptions include TeleCombi, Combimix and Chondola.

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy