Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How old is too old

Poster: A snowHead
to do a (first) season? I've a medium term aspirational plan to take early retirement in 3 years time (when I'll be 56) and do a season somewhere in the Alps. No work would be involved (I'm too old to clean loos), it would be just pleasure. One or two dependencies on this though.

Any thoughts or experience?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When your coffin is going through the curtains, THEN your'e too old!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
what tangowaggon, said!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davkt wrote:
what tangowaggon, said!

Agreed. Plan to do a couple once the kids leave home Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Colin B, I see far older men than you out on the slopes when skiing, who knows how long they have been skiing but they seem to be happy enough and managing.

Perhaps it is mind over matter, if you don;t mind trying - then what others think doesn't really matter !! Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Colin B,

If you check out the F.I.S. site in the Masters section and fiddle about you will see the sheer hundreds of ladies/men that race competatively at 60/70/80 and even 91 yrs of age - saw a clip on utube of the gent who is Masters world champ in the 90 - 95 yrs category and I'd say he'd ski the ar$e of most wannabee racers.

You're only a spring chicken - go for it ,I'm sure lots of us are green with envy-enjoy !!!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not so much an age issue for me, but do you really want to spend an entire season in resort? I get a bit stir crazy if I spend a long time in resort as it's too artificial an environment for me. Need to get back to 'normality' from time to time.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, absolutely. I couldn't wait to get back after a season in Verbier and I was young then.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Colin B, do it, perfect way to start the next chapter by living the dream for a while. You may find you never want to return! Enjoy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, Pedantica, Quite possibly true, but Colin B ought to go and find out firsthand. Otherwise he'll be sitting dribbling in a nursing home and wondering 'what if....'.

Colin B, My vote is go for it. Age has sod all to do with anything, you've only got one life - live it. snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Schuss in Boots,
Quote:

find out firsthand. Otherwise he'll be sitting dribbling in a nursing home and wondering 'what if....'.
Fair point.

Quote:

Age has sod all to do with anything, you've only got one life - live it.
That's certainly true.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Colin B, Free ski passes in most of France =/+75 ans Embarassed
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sitting in a restraurant in Les Arcs one Christmas when the owner asked if we would mind having another customer sitting with us. The English gentleman was over 80, could barely walk, but he rented an apartment in the Alps every winter on his own and had a season skiing and chatting to strangers in restraurants. You are never tooo old

John
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, I agree, at least some of the time it was like a bubble/unreal world for me, everyones on holiday, the skiing is great but the rest, its not real/normal life. When it gets foggy for days on end, which happens sometimes, the bubble gets really small too !!

I think the perfect arrangment would be to relocate to a city very close to the mountains. There are quite a few of these and you can take your pick. Zurich would be mine.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Colin B, Take up gates to be fit and prepare
snow report
Lots of retired ski bums in every ski town in the world. Some of them irritatingly putting kids to shame with their early chairs and ski every day attitude. Retirement at 56 is an aspiration not many of those behind you will get to achieve so don't gloat too hard when you're talking to regular younger punters.
ski holidays
One of my occasional ski partners in Colorado took early retirement in his late 50s and moved from Florida to Summit County full time.

He's loving it from what I can tell- has participated in the Masters Race program, which is a good way to meet people and goes to the gym/rec center most days off season (and some in season) skiing 100+ days a year- we have a long season at A-Basin, so he starts in October and doesn't put the skis away until June (except 1.5 years ago when he shut his season down in April to have a hip he had injured years ago at work replaced).

I don't think he would go back to Florida at all except for family reasons (once or twice a year) as quite a few of his friends come to CO to ski, so he catches up with them there (and/or they stay with him).
latest report
Colin B, ...my plan was retirement at 52 and then skiing, climbing and mountain-biking would be the focus of my life rather than academic work - BUT - along came kids late in life - and that scuppered that, but of course having a great family outweighs the loss - but the upshot of that is indeed GO FOR IT!!!! I would jump at it. There is one proviso. You have to look good. Personally I favour a (now white) goatee - very distinguished. Must wear guide-oriented clothing, which means Arcteryx, Patagonia or such. It can be ratty of course, must it must be top quality and slimming. Usually black, but go for a bright coloured helmet which resonates with 'I do a lot of off-piste, me...'.

So there we have it. Go for it. Develop as many friends and local networks as you can from as early as possible. Choose your location carefully. Never forget the semiotics of dress code. You can be old, but you can be cool.
snow report
You will NEVER be to old,, Im 50 and will have a full season again in a couple of year , when Im still able to ski hard Very Happy
latest report
Definitely not. My loose-pie-in-the-sky long term plan is to pay off my mortgage and sell up and move to the Alps for a few years. This plan is at least ten years away (i.e. the remaining term of mortgage) which would put me at age 53+ by the time I can carry it out. I'll still have to work of course but I'm hoping that by being mortgage-free I'll be able to work fewer hours than the current 60-ish per week and enjoy a bit more spare time on the piste and on my motorbike on Alpine roads in summer. Obviously I'll have to come back to the UK when I'm proper old and I need the 24-hour care of the NHS, but I'm hoping for a few good years in the Alps before all that.

We all need a dream...
snow conditions
My friend's parents arrive in 2Alpes this afternoon to do their first season. Both late 50s I believe, he's working as maintenance dogsbody for a local hotel.
latest report
Thanks all some useful thoughts. I'll have to see what the next 3 years brings. I'd like to do it then before I am too old. As things stand I'd probably go for L2A as I know the place very well and know a few residents and very regular visitors and my french is OK. I suppose I'm lucky in that my pension prospects are still pretty good unlike those for most youngsters.
snow conditions
Colin B, what makes you think you're 'too old' at under 60? You should see how many free passes we give out to the over-72s. I gave one to someone over 80 last season, which was a bit alarming as he was a rather good looking bloke and I quite fancied him until I looked at his ID. Shocked
ski holidays
Lizzard, Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
Colin B,

I do see one big problem, in 3 years time when your due to retire the government will have changed pension laws, rules and amount we get. Basically we are all going to be bent over and truly rogered.

Therefore your question should be, " Will i be too old to do a first season when i am allowed to stop working by the facist bully boy Thatcherite Junta, at the age of 110." Laughing Laughing
snow report
Lizzard, Laughing Laughing Laughing

queen bodecia, I like your dream - mind if I steal it?
snow conditions
Timbobaggins wrote:
Colin B,

I do see one big problem, in 3 years time when your due to retire the government will have changed pension laws, rules and amount we get. Basically we are all going to be bent over and truly rogered.

Therefore your question should be, " Will i be too old to do a first season when i am allowed to stop working by the facist bully boy Thatcherite Junta, at the age of 110." Laughing Laughing

If only the sandals-and-lentils brigade had spent less time spanking everyone else's cash and more time teaching you how to spell wink
latest report
Whitegold,

Mainly punctuation and capital letter error one feels, i quoted The Young Ones. I can assure you one was not taught by any person in sandals. I went to a private school. Not that it did me any good.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you can do it without screwing everything else up in your life then go for it. Your'll only regret it if you dont do it.
latest report
Colin B, I'm a retired ski bum about to start my 7th season, I go skiing every day with the very occasional day off, its the best of times.

Better than jigsaws.

"The oldest person to go under four minutes was Eamonn Coghlan of Ireland, who was 41 when he ran 3:58.15. The oldest person to break five minutes was Derek Turnbull of New Zealand, clocking 4:56.4 at age 65. The oldest under six minutes was Scotty Carter of Massachusetts with a 5:57.2 at 75. The oldest under seven minutes was Harold Chapson of Hawaii with a 6:43.3 at age 80."
snow report
Not content with cluttering up supermarket aisles during lunch hour, they now want to clutter up the pistes and chairlifts to impede our holiday fun too.
NehNeh
Tut. Whatever next. Alowing them on to public transport or letting them loose in cars? wink

Go for it - whatever stage of life you are at if you can engineer your time and finances to put you where you want to be doing what you want to do then get stuck in .

I was chatting to a guy who was certainly past retirement on a chairlift in courchevel and he was loving it - he rotated snowboarding and skiing mornings/afternoons each day in the main. Occasionlly did a bit of blading and had tried his hands at most other dow-mountain devices.

If my body is still in one piece by the time the kids have left home and by the time I retire, I certainly hope to be using it doing more of the things I love ! Alas ive just had to remortage back to 20 years to move house and my youngest is only 18 months, so it could be a while yet for me. rolling eyes

Good luck with your plans.
ski holidays
We had a guest last season who's booking form suggested he was 91. I thought it was a typo, but it proved to be accurate.

He skied every day for at least 3 or 4 hours and didn't seem to think this was unusual (quote - "Och no, I go skiing at Glenshee with my friend every weekend. She's 3 years older than me.")

We have the usual naff old set of wooden skis on the chalet wall - that's what he'd learned on!

Respect!
snow report
Mrs MA & I were at Stubai Glacier a couple of weeks ago and, while reading their information booklet (and being in our late 4os), were shocked and somewhat amused to see that they have a piste which they state is ideal for the over 50s Shocked !!
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
Mrs MA & I were at Stubai Glacier a couple of weeks ago and, while reading their information booklet (and being in our late 4os), were shocked and somewhat amused to see that they have a piste which they state is ideal for the over 50s Shocked !!

Big print signage and a loo every 200 yards?
snow report
Colin B, Absolutely 100% do it. Am very envious.

I plan to do the same but it's 11 years away for me and I'll be 65. Reassuring to read stories here that I could possibly still be getting I a few turns in 16 seasons after that too!

Maybe there's a business niche here; season-long chalet rentals aimed at senior skiers/boarders. The 210cm "decorative" skis on the wall get taken out once a week for old time's sake. Ambience supplied by those round discs called LPs played on a stereophonic system with music by bands who actually play instruments (mainly guitars, of course).

(retires to grumpy old git couch in corner)
ski holidays
Daily Fail almost certainly wrote:
Old guy not dead yet shock!

Age is irrelevant, unless you are a cheese...

What really matters is whether your body is still up to it, so treat it with some degree of care.
snow conditions
Colin B, you will never know unless you try it.
We have spent most of the winter in Les Gets for the last five (I think) years. We do always return to UK, or elsewhere, for three or four weeks in February, but other than that are at our chalet - we have friends to stay, family to stay. And we do try and go to a couple of other places for a week or so to ring the changes. We just carry on life there - if OH has to return for work reasons, as he did a couple of years ago quite a bit, then its easy to fly in and out of Geneva.
Also that was a thought when we built eleven years ago that we would not be too far away from the airport for us and visitors, and also that we could nip down to Geneva for galleries, shops, theatre etc - we rarely do, but just like to think that its possible.
Beats the cold and miserable weather back here.
And we have both had our bus passes for a while
ski holidays
Colin B, My hero! Go for it, and please try and talk me into it too next week! Laughing
latest report
Colin B, Why do you think you will be too old at 56. At Cairngorm people who are over 75 no longer pay for their season tickets, they do wear one but a discreet look will show no date on them.
latest report
I worked with one guy in the states who was 83, had a career, kids, etc, then when he was retired he moved to the mountains. Also one instructor in Chile who keeps her age a secret, but we suspect mid to late 70s, she still teaches every day, and does the yoga classes in the evenings. In short, no, you would not be too old!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy