Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

one luv and demo in Cairngorm area

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I posted recently for advice on skis, and several people recommeneded the burning luv. I'm 85kg, 5'10'' and a cautious intermediate. I can tackle the blacks on a good day, but crowds freak me out. I'd like a bit more confidence and speed, to start to carve on piste and to venture off piste a little.

I've seen a pair of One love skis 160cm (which I normally use) for £100. How do these compare to the Burning Luv, and will they give me confidence to progress, or hold me back.

I'm hoping to spend next weekend in Scotland, probably Cairngorm, and most advice was to demo a few pairs and see how they feel. I'm unlikely to get another chance this year, so can anyone recommend a good place to get demo skis from (and possibly buy from) in that area.

thanks
snow conditions
 brian
brian
janeed, Aviemore has branches of Ellis Brigham and Nevisport both of whom I think stock k2. Probably worth calling first and see if they can set you up with a demo. There is also a (mainly touring oriented) shop called Mountain Spirit who sell Movement skis, something like a Spicy might be worth a try especially if you want to go off piste. (From memory I think the Burnin Luv is fairly piste oriented?)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Isnt 160 too short for you?

I'm 1m78 (5"10) and 83kg and I have Rossi Zenith10's. Others will be able to advise more than me but Im growing into mine and the extra stability they afford is great for fast on blues and reds. I can see that you may want a shorter and slower ski for the blacks but I suspect you may need and upgrade soon.

cheers
bob
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
glasgowcyclops, wouldn't that depend on whether janeed wants to stay on-piste? I am 5'10" and 85kg. I normally ski on 178 Missions - but when I know I will be skiing on-piste and hardpack only, I sometime hire on-piste skis, in which case I drop down to about 162 or so.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
janeed, Mrs Stitiches bought a pair of True Luvs (which are the old One Luvs I think), when she was around the intermediate stage and they were great, but were soon restricting her as they're pretty shaky at speed.

She bought some Burnin Luvs and her confidence and speed changed over night.

I'd definately go for the Burnin Luvs if it's between the two.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I use 170's on piste achilles, and they seem fine for me. I have a set of 160's Dynastar Drive9's in Norway and I find them a titch too small unless I'm just wanting to do continuous little turns. I feel the 170's are better at speed.

Mind you..... If people prefer smaller skis then that is the best thing to have.

All the best
Bob
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi,

thanks for your help.

Unfortunately neither Ellis Brigham nor Nevisport do demos. Does anyone have any other suggestions of shops in the Aviemore/cairngorm area which might have demo skis?

thanks
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Janeed
My wife started with One Luvs until an in instructor in suggested they were a little too soft and beginner orientated and that she should try Burnin Luvs. Just like Sstiches missuss my good lady's confidence and speed increased as soon as she got the Burnin Luvs - if you want to progress forget the One Luvs - Bunrnin Luv is the way to go - your the same size as my Wife -= she skis the 163cms
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For £100 you can't go far wrong, try them out and if they're not right for you and in good condition you'll easily get that back.

At that price I'd go ahead and ebay will bail you out if you hate them. I don't think you will though - they're good skis and should be able to cope with what you throw at them at least for a couple of weeks on snow yet, so even if you sold them on for £80 (they are bound, unless completely smashed to bits, to get that much) it's only cost you a tenner a week to ski them.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the advice. Just about to load the car and get on the road!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hey Janeed,

Did you ever get these out of interest, I have the opportunity to get some one luvs (old 06/07 so 68mm waist) for about £100 did you get a later model? (Or did you get Burnin Luv?)

Thanks
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy