Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Think ski has delaminated

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just started tuning the OH's skis and noticed some damage.

Near the tail on one edge, it looks as if the top sheet is peeling away from the edge, the 'peeled' bit is about 2cm long, there is a definite gap and I can see inside a bit. Is this delamination? There is no other damage to the ski as far as I can see. The ski is a Volkl Grizzly and this 'peel' is exactly to the side of the powerswitch dial.

If so, what shall I do with them? Skis were bought towards end of the season before last and have skied 5 weeks. Will they be still covered by any type of warranty? Any comments welcome please, thanks a lot.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You're tuning HIS skis on Valentines day?? I hope you get some flowers!! Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sarah, Warranty them NOW!!! Volkl contact uk on their website. Or through shop you purchased them. De-lam should be covered.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ww166no, He is away for work and no flowers Sad

heidiky, yes but is this delamination, never seen it before Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sarah, AFAIK Volkl's warranty is only 1 year so you're probably out of luck. Plus a claim is always tricky as tail damage without any sign of missuse is quite common. Can you post a pic.

Bit of epoxy & a clamp should do it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, thanks very much. I just checked the Volkl warranty too Sad Bought them at S&R in the CFe, I will be up there tomorrow, do you think it is worth taking them in?

I have tried with the pics, they are not great, couple of others in SMZ too, but all as bad as each other.

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes it's a delam. Yes you should try and warrenty them. From my experience, Dynastar would cover this, I would be suprised if Voelkl don't - especially if you mention you asked this question on a well read forum wink

Don't think of that as blackmail either - skis (especially well built and expensive ones like voelkl tend to be) should last much longer than that, unless they;ve taken silly impacts/straines.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999, not sure if you are looking at the same pictures as me, maybe you have access to some more...... the fact that the top sheet appears to be "BENT" away form the side of the ski makes it look like there has been impact of some sort if it were a manufacturing fault the section which is bent away would not be bent, it would be just seperating and would be much more subtle in its curvature

using a welll read forum does't scare ski companies it makes them think of people who use well read forums to whinge as a PITA, if the ski is within its warranty period and the damage is a delamination (layers of the ski seperating due to glue failure NOT IMPACT OR ABUSE) then fair game, but the ski is 2 years old, the warranty period is for 1 year and it doesn't look like a straight forward delamination to me

for clarity i would like to see the ski in person or at least some clearer pictures, but i do see my fair share of delams as i handle warranties for 2 ski companies (volkl is not one of them BTW) i also see my fair share of "i was just skiing along when my ski snapped" stories..., never anything more than a blue run and never at more than 3 mph.....every single one must think we were born yesterday....at least admit that you stacked it on the big cliff you hucked off.

as spyderjon has said some good epoxy and a clamp should sort the problem
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999, thanks for confirming that it is a delam.

CEM, wish I had seen it last week , I would have brought them down there with me. I think it doesn't look as 'bent' in the flesh so to speak as on the photos. Also I had been fiddling with it a bit, lifting it (tried to see if anything under it) and smoothing it to see if it 'lies' back down.

Re. an impact, like what? I will ask him if he recalls anything. There is no other damage that I can see anywhere near, anywhere at all even. I think that if there had been an impact to lift the top sheet away from the edge then there would be damage to that edge and base in that area, wouldn't there? There is nothing. It is right to the side to the powerswitch dial. Perhaps the integrity of this area of the topsheet is compromised due to that? Be interesting to know if any of the other powerswitch models have a tendancy to delam in this area.

Pretty sure the other comments were meant generally and in response to clarky999's and others comments about warranties, but just for clarity wanted to say that I am not being a forum whinger about this, posted because I have never seen anything like this before and wanted to know what to do about it Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
impact can take many forms, not always a rock under the snow, could be another ski hitting it, or a knock in transit, but as i said the pictures don't show hit particularily clearly

also on the forum whinger, clarky999 was suggesting that you tell the ski company that you would post all about it if they didn't give you a new ski... that to me and most the rest of the ski industry is forum whinging... if it is a genuine warrantly within the warranly period of the product then it would be replaced, if not then it probably wouldn't.... i can't speak for Volkl as i do not have anything to do with their warranty department.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Most "delam" damage I've ever done to skis and snowboards is down to tip & tail crossing and the odd perfectly groomed blue run 3mph big ass rock or stump. I wouldn't even bother taking it in - just glue it myself.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sarah wrote:
.....Re. an impact, like what?....

Whacking the tails into the snow to get them to stand up outside a restaurant? Not sure it's worth claim hassle - I too would just epoxy and clamp.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry, hadn't seen the pictures when I posted that (don't know how I missed them, think they were posted whilst I was writing). What you described was a delam, but as per CEM, the way it's bent makes it look like it's taken an impact (which shouldn't be warrantied). When my skis delammed the layers jsut came apart, no bending in different directions.

Quote:

also on the forum whinger, clarky999 was suggesting that you tell the ski company that you would post all about it if they didn't give you a new ski...

No I didn't, I suggested that being aware most people would expect this to be warrantied (voelkl being known for good quality) might chivy things along, and would be a good way to get some quick and easy good pr out there. Although form seeing the pictures I agree it's not a warranty.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 15-02-11 20:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As mentioned already - brands dont take well to this. The term warranty is in reference to the manufacturing process. It is not a "even if your dog ate it" warranty. In my experience almost all warranty claims are not warranties at all - just impact.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy