Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lessons/recreational skiier both need accomodating in a uk dome

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I know there have been several threads about which dome is best etc but just wanted some current opinions on a number of issues...

My wife is a complete beginner - no idea how to even put on a ski boot let alone actually how to ski - and is looking to have some lessons in one of the indoor centres, our options are tamworth, milton keynes or castleford we don't live particularly near any but neiter that far. I think either an hour or 2/3 hour (depending on what the options are) group lesson would be best for her rather than the learn in a day schemes. Any advice on which venue offers the best teaching and facilities for beginners?

But at the same time i might as well have a ski so which would offer me and her the best option?

Looking forward to reading your helpful feedback!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pure slope terms - castleford would be my choice, but no idea on lessons standards at any - only ever free-skied!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wouldn't think there's a significant difference between them for a beginner as they all have the required facilities and teaching is individual instructor dependent. From your list, for general skiing I'd go to MK as it's a bit longer, steeper and more spacious. You'll find lots of complaints about snow/skiing conditions in all of the snowdomes, usually from people who go at peak times and are then annoyed that the slopes are crowded and the snow is tired. I'm not convinced that there's that much to choose between them in this respect though it's certainly true that a couple of the slopes are better run than the others.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Learnt at Tamworth and getting to recreational standard there and a few visits to practice was enough to get me and the kids from never having skied before to enjoying the early intermediate lessons from day one on our first trip to the mountains. Search on here and you'll find plenty of threads complaining Tamworth is icy, I could never understand this till day one of the EoSB last year (week 2 in the mountains for me). Waiting for lessons to start I was thinking how wonderful and Tamworth like the piste outside the hotel looked. How to split the dozen or so low hours skiers into 2 groups for lessons? Easy, the 3 of us who set off down that when the instructors said lets ski down to the lifts and sort it there and the rest who said it way too icy and headed off elsewhere to start! So yes Tamworth is icy but having learnt there the early morning Val T conditions were perfect for me and I had a far easier time learning to do the afternoon slush than the folks used to softer conditions had in learning to deal with with the early morning hard packed piste. Only 5m shorter than MK on the main slope and the added interest of the 90 degree bend part way down.
I did the learn in day, the 2 elder kids the 2x3hr lessons (the younger of the two was signed off as recreational at the end of the first lesson and by the end of the second was skiing parallel and had done her first trip down the slope skiing switch) and the youngest (5 at the time) 5x45min very little people lessons. All had the same result of giving us a good grounding in skiing and ready to just get on with it and have fun getting better and faster on holiday. I guess it just comes down to how your wife likes to learn, I know I'd have been very frustrated to stop and wait another week for my next go at lunchtime on my course, equally I know people who need to do a bit, have time to think on it then do some more.
Me and the kids have probably gone through pretty much all the instructors at Tamworth and have found them all to be great teachers, friendly, patient and know their stuff.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm currently having lessons at castle ford, so far had 3 lessons and was lucky enough on my last lesson to be the only one in the group. Very Happy
At £29 per lesson it's not bad value as it's £23 per hour recreational. My daughter learnt on the dry slope at Sheffield and skis there most weekends now. It was cheap enough for her to have private lessons, but their booking system is hit and miss. Castle ford is all done online so very easy to plan times etc.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the info guys. Can't wait to get her on those skis!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[b]snowfiend[b]
i have has recent experience of your dilemma.
Booked Mrs Sunnbuel a full day beginners lesson at Chill F for xmas pressie (it beats the washing up bowl i got her last year), actually she was quite pleased and didn't attack me this time.
As for the lesson - mixed outcome. She got the first hour one to one , then the rest in a group of two. By lunchtime she was linking snowplough turns. After lunch on main slope first step off point, more of the same with refinements. The problem was fatigue (physical and mental _ probably more mental). So in the afternoon, i thought she actually went backwards (no not switch) and by late afternoon was thoroughly fed up. There was nothing wrong with the instruction or the conditions. Its just how much can you absorb in a day?
So in conclusion i think you are far better doing something like the 3 hour a day lesson package. Learn something, practise and sleep on it, then try again.
It would be interesting to know the views of snowhead ski instructors on this.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

sunnbuel
+1

I would second that the 3 hour lessons are probably best. Breaking the lesson down into just 1 hour chunks means the lessons could feel 'bitty' and just as you get into the flow of things you have to stop. The learn in a day lessons seem like a good idea, but unless you are super fit and a 'natural', it could leave you shattered. In resort I would tend to have just morning lessons as a beginner, as there is only so much information you can absorb in one sitting, and this would apply in a dome too.

As to a choice of dome, for beginners I do not think it will make too much difference. The nursery slopes will be short and gentle, and instruction fairly standard. I had a very bad experience at Milton Keynes on Monday night on the main slope, which has put me off going there again. The conditions seemed much worse than usual. However, as others have said, most domes do not have perfect snow conditions. I have not been to the other domes you are considering so cannot comment on them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can't claim I was super fit, in fact probably only average fit for a 44 year old at the time, when I did the learn in a day and I was certainly feeling shattered (but high as a kite on the buzz of skiing the whole length of that slope that had looked huge and terrifying 8 hours earlier!) by the end of the afternoon and even more shattered the next day! As I say really comes down to how you like to learn and I guess how far you are willing to push yourself in terms of a bit of excersise.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
if you're not too far from the slope, a few shorter lessons would be better for most people than "learn in a day". I did a "learn in a day" on a snowboard, when I was some distance the wrong side of 50. I did enjoy it, but it was certainly pretty shattering as some very heavy falls are almost inevitable (as opposed to skiing). I lived too far (from MK) to do separate lessons, but I think it would have been better. 48 hours after my day I could scarcely move. Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks guys - just good to have a bit of feedback rather than entering into these things blindly.

Not 100% sure which location to go to yet - but do think that 3 hr lessons are the way to go, i think a whole day may be quite daunting as well as tiring but an hour will involve lots of traveling to get anywhere near a sensible standard but also don't think it would allow her enough time to get much practice and think that would help the confidence issue!

Cheers!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd definitely go for the 3 hour lessons as they allow more time to progress and consolidate. Depending on how athletic or otherwise you are though, as there is quite a lot that is unfamiliar to get the hang of, I always advise not to be too disappointed if you don't completely pass the level.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy