Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski pole length

Poster: A snowHead
Am I right in thinking it's possible to lop the top off poles if they are too long?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes. If they are metal poles.
If they are composite, then, basically, no.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
is graphite composite?

Sorry, I not very technical!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes

How long are they? If theyre no good to you are you selling them?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beanie1, Assuming your sticks are metal, have a look at the top of the grip. Older grips have a screw retaining them - newer grips seem to be glued on. I tried (and failed) this year to remove some of the newer kind...don't know if anyone else out there has any advice ? Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
beanie1, yes, "graphite" is composite. So, no you can't shorten them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
2plank,

They're not mine - they're a friend's.

Thanks for the advice.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can shorten graphite poles but there's a 9 out of 10 chance that you will break them whilst doing so, so it's just not worth the hassle
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i'll tell him to flog them then, thanks
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf, that's why I said "basically no" above!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beanie1,

How do you know they are too long...??

And in case you don't know, to check, turn them upside down and grip below the basket to simulate the poles being planted in the snow. You might want to flex your angles/knees slightly as well. When doing this when the forearm is 90 degress to the ground you have the correct lenght IMO.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wellllll, my composites (Goode) have about 10cm adjustment built into the handle. Never moved them so no idea whether this is +/- 5 cm of just 10cm in one direction but worth checking whether that's the case...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beanie1, yes you can, BUT...

You need to be very careful when hacksawing them, including even how you clamp them. You also need to mix up some epoxy resin for them to "seal" them after cutting.

The best clamps are the big bench type, that have a horizontal grove that the pole can lie in to spread the load around a bit. Before tightening the clamp, rotate the pole whilst scoring the epoxy covering all the way around with a VERY sharp stanly knife. Cut with a sharp, but not brand new hacksaw blade. Do not pres very hard on each pass, as it is easy to split the shaft.

Mix up the epoxy and apply all around the end and inside the pole. Wipe off any on the outside, unless needed for where you may have chipped the rim. Leave min 24 hours to dry.

Job Done
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulhothersall, you forgot to say, wear a good dust mask whilst cutting the composite poles as you do not want to breath in those fibers
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
paulhothersall,

I think thats a 'no' then as WTFH says...!!
latest report
JT,

A friend told me his poles are too long and asked if there was any way to sort it. Not actually seen them myself, so I took his word for it!
wink
snow conditions
JT, well.... it's a yes if you ask your friendly ski fixit shop. But they'll probly charge as much as a new set of les batons....

So, yes it's a no.
snow conditions
Manda, a ski shop wouldn't offer to cut composite poles, as it invalidates their warranty, and may have safety implications.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy